Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Little Confused about Front Fork Performance

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 11:53 AM
backnasaddle
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Little Confused about Front Fork Performance

I'm a little confused about what I should expect from my from suspension. The '05 EG I'm riding now is my first Harley and first touring bike. My past bikes have been a bit softer and more stable at the front forks when hitting bumps in the road or cornering. The Glide is stiffer and tends to want to bounce when I hit an imperfection. That was a little unsettling, especially when cornering, until I got used to it. I read so much about what is and is not correct for front end performance thatmaybe I think I've confused myself. Am I chasing shadows or should I really be looking to do something with it? I'm not really interested in lowering it, just get the best ride and handling it's able to give without changing everything. I have too many other things I want to do without adding that to the list. Thanks!

Old 01-28-2008, 12:39 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,135 Likes on 1,798 Posts
Default RE: A Little Confused about Front Fork Performance

The simplest thing to start with is trying different weight oils for it. If that doesn't work you can try something like progressive springs. You can also use an emulator. I would start with a simple fluid change to a different weight oil first though.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:48 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

I would also check on what your suspension settings are for the rear shocks. That has some affect on the "bounce" through pavement imperfections in a corner. Stiffening it up a bit might help to alleviate the sensation you described. I know that if I leave the air setting for the rear shocks at the same level I've just used for highway touring when I finally get into some twisties, I get the same "unsettled" movement you describe. So I add a bit of air to the rear shocks and it is much better in the turns...

What air pressure to you have in your tires? That might also affect your ride... Just some things that we take for granted, but can't overlook.

Hope that helps...

Old 01-28-2008, 01:13 PM
backnasaddle
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys. I run 36 psi front tire and 40 psi rear. I keep the shocks at 10-12 psi. when solo and go up to 15-20loaded.Lighter or heavier on the fork oil? How much per tube? I'm a little confused about the way the manual expresses that, too. Thanks again. Jim

ORIGINAL: tphillips

I would also check on what your suspension settings are for the rear shocks. That has some affect on the "bounce" through pavement imperfections in a corner. Stiffening it up a bit might help to alleviate the sensation you described. I know that if I leave the air setting for the rear shocks at the same level I've just used for highway touring when I finally get into some twisties, I get the same "unsettled" movement you describe. So I add a bit of air to the rear shocks and it is much better in the turns...

What air pressure to you have in your tires? That might also affect your ride... Just some things that we take for granted, but can't overlook.

Hope that helps...

Old 01-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: backnasaddle

I'm a little confused about what I should expect from my from suspension. The '05 EG I'm riding now is my first Harley and first touring bike. My past bikes have been a bit softer and more stable at the front forks when hitting bumps in the road or cornering. The Glide is stiffer and tends to want to bounce when I hit an imperfection. That was a little unsettling, especially when cornering, until I got used to it. I read so much about what is and is not correct for front end performance thatmaybe I think I've confused myself. Am I chasing shadows or should I really be looking to do something with it? I'm not really interested in lowering it, just get the best ride and handling it's able to give without changing everything. I have too many other things I want to do without adding that to the list. Thanks!
Keep in mind the 05's have the goofy setup with the cartridge in the the left fork only.The 06 and later glides have a different setup which in my experience is better, in fact I'm in the process of converting to the 06 forks as mine is going to be apart for chrome lowers.

Rick

Old 01-28-2008, 01:44 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I put the SE fork oil in mine. Doesn't dip when I stop now and feels more positive in twisties. No more mush.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:18 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Getting ready to install the Race Tech front suspension system with gold valve emulators. I'll give a report back after 2/7 when my new wheels come in. I will be lowering it an inch also though to balance out my 21" front wheel.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:30 AM
nidan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another option is Traxxion Dynamics , which has the AK-20 , excellent but pricey and they also sell a damper / Race Tech spring set

Old 01-30-2008, 06:51 AM
gunnert
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto wrt Nidan, you can add the gold emulators and it will help. But, the traxxion setup will fix it. At $1150 to modify your forks the cost is relative. Many don't think twice about spending that and much more for chrome... (oh, I'm one of those that spends it on chrome too)!

Old 01-30-2008, 07:16 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

Try our solution [HERE] We are a GMD Computrack in Ft. Lauderdale. Look at the index of Race Tech, on the right center line. We are a franchised company and are trained in the arts of suspension.

Quick Reply: A Little Confused about Front Fork Performance