Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam chain tensioner kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 11:20 PM
Mullenix53
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam chain tensioner kit?

Does anyone know if Harley Davidson offers a cam chain tensioner repair kit or cam chain tensioner replacement kit of any kind or does one have to keep buying individual parts at un-holy prices?
I am chompin at the bit to get into my 99 TC 88 to do what I have to do, but I like to make sure I have everything I need so I don't have to stop to go get this or that all the time.
I appreciate any advice and info ya'll have to give.
Thanks.
Dan

Old 01-28-2008, 01:08 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts
Default RE: Cam chain tensioner kit?

Harley routinely repairs these. I think they do the bearings, especially on a '99, (go to the Torringtons), chains and shoes. Check the cams and lifters for wear. It wouldn't be real expensive for those parts. Make sure the edges of the chains aren't sharp. Some people think that's what eats up the shoes. I have the whole setup used from my '02 cheap. Guaranteed to fail sooner or later.

Better plan: go to gear drives and never worry about it again!

Old 01-28-2008, 02:42 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,231 Likes on 1,846 Posts

Either go gears, or go with the roller chain conversion. Pretty much have to buy some parts individually. You can get the cam service gasket kit that will include all the gaskets and bearings and such, but better off to switch out to Torrington's anyway.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:10 PM
TN Houndog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

I can't verify this YET, but a salesman at the local stealer ( not a partsman) said HD has came out with a complete conversion kit including the cams to convert an 88 to the new roller chain system. I had them price out the individual parts for the conversion and it came to $800, give or take a couple $$$ including the Andrews conversion cams. I'm sure I can beat those prices at Zanotti's or Chicago HD. I leaning that way over a gear drive system because of the updated oill pump and the much superior (in MY mind) cam plate. I just wish someone would come up with a way to bore the inner cam bearing holes to 1" like the 96 in engines.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:20 PM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: TN Houndog

I can't verify this YET, but a salesman at the local stealer ( not a partsman) said HD has came out with a complete conversion kit including the cams to convert an 88 to the new roller chain system. I had them price out the individual parts for the conversion and it came to $800, give or take a couple $$$ including the Andrews conversion cams. I'm sure I can beat those prices at Zanotti's or Chicago HD. I leaning that way over a gear drive system because of the updated oill pump and the much superior (in MY mind) cam plate. I just wish someone would come up with a way to bore the inner cam bearing holes to 1" like the 96 in engines.
If you go to the Andrews website they have all of the H-D part numbers needed to convert to the '07 roller chain. Other than these parts all you need is the cams. Zanottis' had the best price. I've got around 10k on this system and it runs great in my '05.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:27 PM
TN Houndog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

Notlost,
Thanks for the info. I got the parts list from the Andrews website and let the local stealer price it out just to get an idea of it's cost as opposed to gear drive. When I was leaving, one of the salesmen that had just returned from a factory meeing told me that HD had introduced a complete kit, (single parts number) including HD cams, to change an 88 to the new cam chest components. I can't varify if this is so or not , but either way I think I'm going that way. It's good to know that yours is giving good service. That helps make the decision even easier.