Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many see a bike ahead and try to catch up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008 | 09:02 PM
btefft
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default How many see a bike ahead and try to catch up?

I have sometimes found myself cranking back on the throttle after spotting a bike off in the distances, like on a four lane. It seems I have an unexplainable urge to catch up and will often pass it and eventually slow back down to my original cruising speed.

Am I the only one catchitis?

Hack

Old 01-27-2008 | 09:27 PM
atexn4christ
Road Master
Default RE: How many see a bike ahead and try to catch up?

Good to see I am not the only one. I've had crotch rockets tell me that I ride pretty hard.

Old 01-27-2008 | 09:30 PM
Hombre
Intermediate

Ummmmm............ nope

Old 01-27-2008 | 09:30 PM
izzi
Road Master

i'll catch up to see who or what it is. i dont pass like i used to do when i had the quad-cam.

Old 01-27-2008 | 10:01 PM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member

I caught up to a crotch rocket (Gixxer 750) last summer on a two lane twisty, and when I caught up, he started riding faster thinking he'd leave me behind. Naaa haaaa. Each and everytime he pulled out to pass 5 or 6 cars in a row, he was looking in the mirror and i'm sure he was wondering (what the flock does that bagger have in it) cause I was planted on his a$$ like white on rice. He'd pass, pull in line and slow to 70, then drop 2 gears and wind it up to 110-120mphthinking i'd never keep up. Eventually he slowed, and I passed him and cruised off at about 85-90mph.

Next summer, i'll pull out and pass most of the sport bikes with the new build. Yes, I do have a bad habit of chasing bikes down, and always end up passing them. Glad i'm not the only one. lol

Old 01-27-2008 | 10:14 PM
cmcsns
Road Master

When I'm running the interstates I'm usually doing so to make good time; getting the stuff I gotta do out of the way so I can get to the stuff I want to do. Usually running between 75-95mph (6th gear feels real comfortable around 90) so that brings me up on most other bikes. I don't come up behind and then "blast" around them, that's kinda rude (I think). Always interested in what else is out there, curious maybe? Might be like why dogs chase cars...

Old 01-27-2008 | 10:23 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

I keep my speed which is usually passing all of them.

Old 01-27-2008 | 11:34 PM
ZJAvy
Road Captain

I am just talking about me riding on the freeway commuting. For some reason when I see another bike I always tell myself I am gonna keep my distance because I dont like feeling like I am crowding the guy that I dont know but it never fails that I end up catching them anyhow so then I usually take up position behind them like I am riding with a buddy then the next thing I know I get sick of how slow they are going (not cutting lanes or just going to damn slow) and I pass them. Like I said I have every intention of staying away and always seem to pass them.

When 4mer and I ride togethor we usually ride staggered or even side by side at times even if we have other friends with us (unless we have very inexperienced people then he or I take that person and ride with them and space the others out alot more) and I dont think we really do any passing then just sorta keep our distance. You never know how comfortable a person is with their bike so dont assume they are really experienced.

Old 01-27-2008 | 11:57 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member

I do have a bad habit of chasing bikes down, and always end up passing them.
Same here.

CN

Old 01-28-2008 | 03:07 AM
lenrough
Road Master

ORIGINAL: cmcsns
Might be like why dogs chase cars...
As long as there's no seat sniffing involved!

Quick Reply: How many see a bike ahead and try to catch up?