Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID Headlamp and Modulation - Input Requested

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 09:25 PM
Crazie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Headlamp and Modulation - Input Requested

Hey All.

I am getting ready to upgrade the headlamp on my '06 SE Ultra (Autumn Haze) to HID because I don't like the dual halogen lighting it came with. I have ridden with a headlight modulator for many years (anything to help the cagers see me) but have been unable to find a modulator for HID.

I struck up a conversation with George at Kriss Industries and he is interested in pursuing a design for a HID modulator. He tells me there are two types of systems: One simply replaces the bulb and is a single beam so there is no longer a separate high and low. The second system has a bulb with a butterfly that directs the light source to the high beam reflector or prevents it from striking the reflector.

Kriss would like input about the manufacturor and design of the Harley upgrade. Mine is on order and I will send him whatever information I can gleen from HD's upgrade kit. In the meantime, if any of you have specifics about the HD HID upgrade it would be most appreciated. You could either go leave your input at Kriss' websirte directly or you can reply to this thread and I'll take care of funnening any input/feedback.

It would also probably be a good idea to let George know how much interest there is in a HID modulator. If this is something you are/aren't interested in, please leave me a note.

Thanks all,
Crazie

Old 01-15-2006, 09:53 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: HID Headlamp and Modulation - Input Requested

ORIGINAL: Crazie

Hey All.

I am getting ready to upgrade the headlamp on my '06 SE Ultra (Autumn Haze) to HID because I don't like the dual halogen lighting it came with. I have ridden with a headlight modulator for many years (anything to help the cagers see me) but have been unable to find a modulator for HID.

I struck up a conversation with George at Kriss Industries and he is interested in pursuing a design for a HID modulator. He tells me there are two types of systems: One simply replaces the bulb and is a single beam so there is no longer a separate high and low. The second system has a bulb with a butterfly that directs the light source to the high beam reflector or prevents it from striking the reflector.

Kriss would like input about the manufacturor and design of the Harley upgrade. Mine is on order and I will send him whatever information I can gleen from HD's upgrade kit. In the meantime, if any of you have specifics about the HD HID upgrade it would be most appreciated. You could either go leave your input at Kriss' websirte directly or you can reply to this thread and I'll take care of funnening any input/feedback.

It would also probably be a good idea to let George know how much interest there is in a HID modulator. If this is something you are/aren't interested in, please leave me a note.

Thanks all,
Crazie
Crazie,

The HID has a ballast which creates a several thousand volts to allow the HID bulb to ionize. That ballast is not going to handle the headlamp modulators output. If it runs, I don't think it would be very much of an on and off blink. That will make a serious dent in that ballast operational hours.

But, I would suggest that you take those two passing lamps and modulate those, that would deffiantly get the cagers ahead attention!

Gary

Old 01-18-2006, 09:11 AM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

What have you chose to do?

The change of the wiring to that set of driving / passing lamps on the side is not that difficult, just follow the directions on the link for making them constant on and that will set you on the right color wiring for putting onto the modulator output, then put input voltage into the modulator from the power source identified on the aux switch for the links orignal hot when ignition on to power the driving / passing lamps.

Peice of cake!

I the driving lamps on mine I wired constant power on and still switchable off as per the link and have been thinking about this since I posted it as an idea for your solution of what to do with the modulator with respect to you wanting to go HID.

I have also gone HID and Love it. I've also though of changing my driving lamps out with aviation style runway take off and landing HID units, (will cost some big money for this, have to save on it somehow or find them cheaper) that will make 3 HID's. All lamps will be on when LO beam is selected and going to Hi beam that throws the quarts halogen in the funel reflector on below the HID as well. But don't think that will ever be needed again with two side mounted HIDs and the center normal head lamp as an HID.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:09 PM
Crazie
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Ram

What have you chose to do?
Great input, Ram. Thank you. I've decided to go with the HID. I have HID on my Jeep and it seems to make all the difference in the world to me. I think I'll take your advice and modulate the driving lamps. You mention a link a couple of times but I don't see a link in your reply. Can you point me in the right direction?

Your runway lamp idea sound intriguing. I would be interested in the details should you proceed with it.

Old 01-20-2006, 11:26 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Modulating the driving lamps is illegal in most states! You can modulate the main headlight only.

Steve

Old 01-21-2006, 01:04 AM
OG_electra_glide
Tourer

man those modulating lights bug THE HELL out of me when I see them coming. But if you feel you need them...

All you need is some woman on a cell phone suddenly catch you in her peripheral vision and swerve into you.

Old 01-21-2006, 02:20 PM
Crazie
Cruiser

Uhhhh, hadn't thought about that, Steve. Back to the drawing board.

OG_Electra_Glide: Your response is exactly why I like the modulator. It can't bug the hell out of you if you don't see it. Same for everyone else on the road. I don't mind people flashing their headlights at me as it just confirms they have seen me. In this day and age I'll take any tool I can get to increase my visibility

Old 01-21-2006, 07:54 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

https://www.hdforums.com/m_54142/tm.htm

This is the link to allow the driving lamps on continus, but still remain switchable on/off.

I have not though that modulating the drivers lamps wouldn't be legal.

Old 01-22-2006, 12:26 AM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My driving lamps are also wired to stay on both high and low beam. I can cut them off with the lamp switch. I have the HD 35 watt halogen driving lamps. I also have a PIAA haologen 80/100 watt head light bulb and I leave it on high (100 watts) along with my driving lamps during the day. I feel I need all the light I can get! Believe me drivers notice!

And no the 100 watt bulb does not over heat the housing or draw excessive power even with the driving lamps on. I have had the same 80/100 watt bulb for several years from bike to bike, Yamaha, Honda and HD.

SteveO

Old 03-15-2006, 04:33 PM
Crazie
Cruiser

Ram: Thanks for the link on rewiring the passing lights. That will be my project for today.

As for modulation with the Harley HID upgrade kit, the solution was simple. The HID is low beam only and the Kriss Modulator modulates only the high beam which is a normal halogen bulb like the original it replaces. So, all I had to do was intall the HID upgrade and wire the black and wht/blk wires of the modulator in series with the high beam bulb (ie, the Wht and Blk wires).

Now the problem became the garage door opener. It sends an RF signal when the high/low switch is toggled. The new wiring harness that came with the HID did not handle this properly (there was no yellow (low beam) wire in the high beam portion of the HID harness so I picked up the yellow wire from the old harness and all worked properly.

BTW, this is not a project for the faint of heart because not only do you have to know your way around a VOM and schemtics you have to remove the outer fairing, gas tnk and seat to route all the wiring. Sure is nice to have that bright HID light though.

Sorry to have taken so long to follow-up but I have had a few health problems. All is well and I'm ready to ride again now. [8D]

Quick Reply: HID Headlamp and Modulation - Input Requested