Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trade in '08 RKC for '08 Ultra? quit chucklin' and give me your 2 cents please...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 05:17 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: trade in '08 RKC for '08 Ultra? quit chucklin' and give me your 2 cents please...

You're not crazy about the Anniversary color scheme. Are you about to make the same mistake again?

What's the rush? It's not riding season yet, and there will still be plenty of 08 Ultrasavailable in another couple of months. Take a cold shower, and see how things look in a couple of months.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:53 AM
Fast Eddie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: trade in '08 RKC for '08 Ultra? quit chucklin' and give me your 2 cents please...

I bought an '07 Ultra last January. In August after the '08's came out with ABSI decided to getan '08 UltraasI had not done anything to the '07 other than put about4500 miles on it. The dealer would only give me low book in trade. I decided to sell privately. I split the difference between low and high book on it and sold it quickly. I probably could have got more for it but I was afraid if I had it too long I would keep it so I priced it to move quickly. Sold it to a member of this forum. I took about a $5000 hit whichwas expensive for 4500 miles/ 8 monthsbut I am more than pleased with the '08. Get the bike you want. You will forget about the money very quickly if you like your new bike. I did.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:45 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Papa, I did it the other way around. I wanted an E Glide, wife did not like all the 'stuff', so I bought a RK Custom. I love it, but added all necessary to make my own RK "Ultra". i shopped carefully and took my time and managed to build a bike I can ride an love for years to come. Best thing for me is I can change out all my detachable stuff in 10 minutes and have virtually 3 different bikes. Ultra Tourer, Stripped Cruiser or Boulevard hopper. For us it is the best of both worlds. There are other options.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:38 AM
Fast Eddie
Road Captain

bigdaddy; that's basically that I did with my Road King Custom except I went with the chopped tourpack and no rear speakers; maximum flexibility.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:40 PM
hotpursuit
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: papa_freeman

ORIGINAL: HDChloe

I just want to make sure of one more thing. You do realize the 1.05% APR is only for 36 months right? You have a 5 year loan (according to your post). The monthly payment may not be what you expect.

I would do it regardless of what anyone says, but that is just me.

Good luck
Wow, no I did NOT realize it was for only 36 months, I figured 60 months - Payment of $818/mo. is not doable... thx.
you can get it extended to 5 years at 1.05% just ask your salesman..

Old 01-29-2008, 01:12 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member

Same boat, only mine left the dock a long time ago. Every now and then I think about going to an Ultra......but I'm in waaaay too deep $$$-wise to go there now. Don't make the same mistake if you KNOW for sure the Ultra is what you need.
If you do know the Ultra is what you need, then this sounds to me as the VERY BEST time to do it, before you start adding a bunch of bling, or get any further into your RK like I have. At least, the stuff you've added now ought to go right on a new Ultra. Most of my additions won't.
When I do try and rationalize it all, it just doesn't make any sense for me now, but my situation is far different from yours. At least how I'm hearing it.
I NEVER ride two up. I have a detachable tour pack for my RKC, lowers, fork baffle, a Clearview windshield, and heated gear up the ying yang. I have no need for CB, intercom, and I'm neither here nor there about tunes.
Every time I sit on an Ultra I pretty much gag having to look thru/ around that batwing, and that 'sofa' they call a seat would be the first thing to go on mine. I only long for a batwing when I'm riding in inclement weather, the rest of the time I'm just fine. If someday I NEED a batwing I'll go with a detachable aftermarket one, but as I said, I'm in too far now. Don't make the same error.

Maybe ask yourself just how often and how far you will really need the two up comfort for? That's what I did. I figured I really only go on two long trips every year, 5000+ miles. The rest of the time it's any number of 300 to 400 mile overnight jaunts. If my SO were to come along on my bike it's every bit as capable, but if you're gonna start buying stuff to try and turn your RK into a tourer jump NOW for the Ultra, or at least the Classic and get lowers.
The RK is a quite capable tourer. I have ridden mine 850+ miles in one day in pouring rain through the Canadian Rockies with no other bikes in sight, but i'm sure I'd have been a lot better off on an Ultra that day.
At least ride an Ultra before you go pulling the trigger. There's no way I will now. I don't dare.

Make sure to post up pics for us.

CN

Old 01-29-2008, 04:52 AM
lenrough
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In August of 06 I bought an 07 CVO Ultra and then sold my 03 RKC.Since then I've been slowlytaking stuff off the Ultra for a leaner ride around town. Really don't need the tour pak for day rides. Need a different seat without the tour pak... Don't need the lowers around town.... so on and so forth. But, I definitely NEED the fairing and radio all the time. In retrospect, really shoulda taken the heat from the wife and kept the RKC asa short haul/around town ride.

If you have the time and patience - sell the bike outright. My local dealership waswilling to go$12500 on the RKC for trade-in and I sould it outright for $14,500 (originally listed it at $16,000).

Old 01-29-2008, 02:25 PM
IBHarley
Road Master

Go for It Harley is offering a great % rate on the 08 touring you wont loose that much and get a better intrest rate

Old 01-29-2008, 05:42 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: IBHarley

Go for It Harley is offering a great % rate on the 08 touring you wont loose that much and get a better intrest rate

Where did you hear this??? The only special interest rate promo is on the Anniversary bikes.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:51 PM
eglidetrike1
Road Master

Sounds like your gonna need our .02cents

Quick Reply: trade in '08 RKC for '08 Ultra? quit chucklin' and give me your 2 cents please...