Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trade in '08 RKC for '08 Ultra? quit chucklin' and give me your 2 cents please...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 01:01 AM
Lord Albany
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: trade in '08 RKC for '08 Ultra? quit chucklin' and give me your 2 cents please...

ORIGINAL: rapz

For two-up riding get the Ultra. Try selling yours w/o the trade and if you're lucky you'll sell it for much higher than a trade-in or if you're lucky you'll end up w/two great bikes!
Aside from the fairing and the radio, what makes the UC/EGC a better touring bike than an RK/RKC? I read a lot from the EGC/UC crowd about their bikes being excellent on long trips. I haven't seen much from Road King owners. Any RK owners have input on the bike's touring ability?

Thanks,
Albany

Old 01-27-2008, 06:52 AM
alqaadir
Tourer
Default RE: trade in '08 RKC for '08 Ultra? quit chucklin' and give me your 2 cents please...

Life's too short. If it will make you and her happy go for it. If you can afford it do it. You can't spend your money in the grave enjoy it now.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:08 AM
monkish
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thought... if you can stand to take a loss like that just keep the RKC and teach your wife to ride. Go get the ULTRA for you and enjoy. Now you have options and you won't feel so violated.

Just a thought...

Old 01-27-2008, 07:12 AM
Captain Rumbelly
Cruiser

I have an '07 RK Classic and it is great for long trips. I have done a lot of mods and will keep doing them till I get where I want to be (or run out of money...which my OL says was a long time ago). The RKC needs to have a seat mod (I'm planning on getting the Sundowner seat and having Allen at Mean City Cycles modify the seat). I'm not interested in a fairing at this point. I use the Route 66 bag which straps to my passenger backrest and sits on my luggage rack. I thought about the UC, but also realized I like to ride to work and shorter trips too, so decided on the RKC and never regretted the decision. My .02.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Lord Albany
Road Captain

Joe, your wife's ride kicks major A$$.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:37 PM
papa_freeman
Tourer

ORIGINAL: HDChloe

I just want to make sure of one more thing. You do realize the 1.05% APR is only for 36 months right? You have a 5 year loan (according to your post). The monthly payment may not be what you expect.

I would do it regardless of what anyone says, but that is just me.

Good luck
Wow, no I did NOT realize it was for only 36 months, I figured 60 months - Payment of $818/mo. is not doable... thx.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:38 PM
papa_freeman
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Monstermile

ORIGINAL: papa_freeman
anyone else out there in the same boat --- how did you fare???

Not in the same exact boat but similar. Traded in my 06 Street Glide for an 07 Road Glide back in July. Decided now I want to go back to the batwing. So I stopped in to my local dealer to see what kind of deal I could get. I got them down to $20k OTD on an 2008 two-tone EG classic. I owe $14,200 on the RG and they are giving me $13,100. Here is how it breaks down.

MSRP: $19615
Negative equity: 1100
Freight: 795
Tax: 130
Doc Fee: 130
Dealer Prep: 129
Title work: 85

Total: $21984
Price OTD: $20000
Savings: $1984

Not that bad of a deal.

And papa_freeman: While I was in there my salesman told me about a guy who ironically is in the same boat you are in. He bought an 08 Road King and traded it in a few months later on an 08 Ultra. He said he took about a $3500 loss.
He didn't happen to say what they gave him for his trade???

Old 01-27-2008, 01:40 PM
daharleyrdr
Tourer

Pappa Freeman
My two cents, get what you want. Ill just say that Ive been on HD since 83 and have owned almost all Dressersmy first Hog was a Superglide that I payed 6.8K for Then in 88 I got into FLH Series,Dressers. Then in 05 I wanted a change and got a Road King!Payed 15.5K good deal! I missed the Electra Glide models!! So I sold my 05 Road King on E Bayfor 13K in November. I bought a 08 Electra Glide Classic, as I sorely missed the full fairing and radio. Ultra was too much money and I didnt want the intercom rear speakers so I could deteach the tour pak, as I mostly ride solo. I was going to trade it in to the dealer andwas getting 11.5K for it, but like I said I sold it on E Bay,took off a lot of add ons, and parts andsold emon E Bay so I got about 1K for that stuff so all in all almost a total of 14K for the Road King. The problem now is that Harleys are losing some of their resale value, especiallyas everyone wants to trade in their bike for an new 08, sowe created a market where trade in's are worth less,there are so many of em, and the dealers are flooded with em, hence the dealer wont give you as much!!. In addition HD's dont hold their value like they used to. In the past ya never lost money when you sold your bike the worst you did was break even or maybe lose a few bucks after ya rode it for a few years!! In the end get what you want. I was thinking about putting a detachable fairing on my Road King, a 6speed trans, a radio, and engine upgrade, by the time I was thru Id sink about 3K into the bike, so I figured id move up Im 53 now this will be my last new bike for a while, Im thru losing and trading!! Good luck, Bill

Old 01-27-2008, 01:41 PM
papa_freeman
Tourer

ORIGINAL: BadPiggy

You're going to lose money either way but here's some food for thought regarding you selling it outright.

If you sell it outright and then go into the dealer and buy new, you'll be paying taxes on the entire $20,000. If you trade in the bike and lets say they give you $14,000...deduct the $14,000 from the $20,000...you'll be paying taxes on just the $6000 difference. Now, I'm not sure about taxes in your state but this is how it works in mine, TN.

I traded in a '06 Heritage loaded with bling for my '06 SG. They gave me $18,000 for the Heritage, took $19,000 for the SG...I paid taxes on the remaining $1000 difference. All totaled, I wrote a check for $1300 bucks and walked out with a new scoot.

With the economy in the condition it's in, you may find yourself having a hard time getting the bike sold.

Food for thought...
Man, wish I could find a deal like that... when I bought the bike, dealers were all with the attitude take it or leave it, no negotiating.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:44 PM
papa_freeman
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Lord Albany

ORIGINAL: rapz

For two-up riding get the Ultra. Try selling yours w/o the trade and if you're lucky you'll sell it for much higher than a trade-in or if you're lucky you'll end up w/two great bikes!
Aside from the fairing and the radio, what makes the UC/EGC a better touring bike than an RK/RKC? I read a lot from the EGC/UC crowd about their bikes being excellent on long trips. I haven't seen much from Road King owners. Any RK owners have input on the bike's touring ability?

Thanks,
Albany
Hey there, Lord Albany, like the look of your scoot.... did you get the tour pak from HD, or somewhere else? I will probably end up going that route unless the dealer can do a hat trick for me...

oh yeah, and how is Albany, used to work up that way at SUNY... didn't much care for the winters being from CA and all...

Quick Reply: trade in '08 RKC for '08 Ultra? quit chucklin' and give me your 2 cents please...