Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trade in '08 RKC for '08 Ultra? quit chucklin' and give me your 2 cents please...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 07:30 PM
msh134
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: trade in '08 RKC for '08 Ultra? quit chucklin' and give me your 2 cents please...

i had an 07 rkc and i traded for an 08 ultra so me and the warden could spend more time together it was the best trade i made as we ride sooooooooooo much more now and have alot of fun together. ultra all the way!!!!!!

Old 01-26-2008, 08:09 PM
papa_freeman
Tourer
Default RE: trade in '08 RKC for '08 Ultra? quit chucklin' and give me your 2 cents please...

ORIGINAL: txfxstrider

Why are you asking this here? Just go ask the dealer what it will cost you to do the trade. That's the quickest way and you get the correct answer.

If you are seeking approval here then you will get a mixed review. For most of us, and it seems like for you also, a bike purchase is an emotional thing based more on your heart than what is practical. I say go with your heart. Life can be too short and they say at the end you only regret the things that you did not do, not the things that you did. Good luck.
I'm asking here because I wanted to know what to expect from anyone who might have had a similar experience. I am not seeking approval for anything, but maybe I didn't make that as clear as I could have. I did go into the dealer this afternoon, but they were closing... saw the guy that sold me the RK, and he said to come back tomorrow, that they'd 'take care of me' (yeah, like the Sopranos), but he did say that because there is no Blue Book on the '08's he is in 'uncharted territory'.

I really don't have a problem taking a reasonable hit, just not gonna get bent over.

Hey, I really appreciate you guys taking the time to throw in your views...

Old 01-26-2008, 09:27 PM
norskehd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[] Traded a 07 Electra glide Classic with 6,000 miles on it for a 08 Ultra Anniv. model. Got 15,500 for the 07. The good part was that my son traded his 06 Sportster at the same time and bought my 07 for $15,800. My loss his gain (he got all the goodies I had installed too - IDS was one of the best mods).

Plan on taking a 15 to 20% hit on a trade in the first year. I shopped around and they were all about the same for trade in.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:48 PM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

If you can afford it, do what makes you happy.... Take a deep breath, get it over with, and end up with what you want.
So you made a mistake, the only thing worse to me, is living with it when you don't have to.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:53 PM
HogBack
Road Master

IMO... make sure you have already ridden enoughto have "outgrown" the RKC.. The RKs are great touring bikes. There are many people who buy things thinking if they buy they will use it... that is why there are so many low mileago bikes, cars, motorhomes, etc.,around... too many dreams never reached.... I would love to have the 08RKC, but there is nothing wrong with what I have. Manythink $3,000 is alot to lose, and if what you said your payments would be, it sounds like alot for you also.....

Hogback

Old 01-26-2008, 10:31 PM
Mr_Bill
Tourer

I would try sell the Rk first. Don't be in a hurry this time. Then shop around for the best deal on a Ultra that you really want. The time of year and the economy may be against you right now, but it will not hurt to try selling your RK. There is this site, EBay, Cycletrader, and more if you doa Google search. Good luck and I hope you end up with the bike you really want!
Mr_Bill

Old 01-26-2008, 10:37 PM
skykingFLHTCU
Tourer

The RKC is a Sweet bike but if you are traveling or hauling extra jackets and crap like I do around the Ultra is hard to beat. Someday when I get rich and famous I will have both. If you are going to take a beating keep the RKC if not the Ultra is the way to go.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:42 PM
HDChloe
Road Captain

I just want to make sure of one more thing. You do realize the 1.05% APR is only for 36 months right? You have a 5 year loan (according to your post). The monthly payment may not be what you expect.

I would do it regardless of what anyone says, but that is just me.

Good luck

Old 01-26-2008, 11:04 PM
MrChet
Intermediate

The only thing the Ultra has over the RK is an intercom in my opinion. I do enjoy the tunes but that's solved by my ipod and custom ear monitors. The ultimate would be an RK with a Dragonfly fairing and bluetooth head sets. Since theyare the same bike with different add ons, you could have one bike that would do it all. When you want to cruise in style take everything off and enjoy the wind in your face. When it's time to take the wife and go, pop on the fairing and trunk and hit the road. That's the great thing about the removable parts. Plus with the RKC you have bigger bags that hold more! Get the Tour Pak first for the wife and even that might be enough for her since the windshield does a good job of blocking the wind.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:20 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You're going to lose money either way but here's some food for thought regarding you selling it outright.

If you sell it outright and then go into the dealer and buy new, you'll be paying taxes on the entire $20,000. If you trade in the bike and lets say they give you $14,000...deduct the $14,000 from the $20,000...you'll be paying taxes on just the $6000 difference. Now, I'm not sure about taxes in your state but this is how it works in mine, TN.

I traded in a '06 Heritage loaded with bling for my '06 SG. They gave me $18,000 for the Heritage, took $19,000 for the SG...I paid taxes on the remaining $1000 difference. All totaled, I wrote a check for $1300 bucks and walked out with a new scoot.

With the economy in the condition it's in, you may find yourself having a hard time getting the bike sold.

Food for thought...

Quick Reply: trade in '08 RKC for '08 Ultra? quit chucklin' and give me your 2 cents please...