Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trade in '08 RKC for '08 Ultra? quit chucklin' and give me your 2 cents please...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 04:50 PM
rde
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: trade in '08 RKC for '08 Ultra? quit chucklin' and give me your 2 cents please...

Seems like you made a costly mistake. I don't see how buying an Ultra makes any sense. You are going to lose big time if you trade in the Road King, and then you will be financing even more money. I don't know what your financial situation is, but motorcycles are toys unless it is your primary transportation. The economy is slowing down and you might just need that extra cash down the road. The Road King is a nice bike. Plug in an iPod for sound, add a Tour Pak with a nice backrest, the two of you climb on, and forget the rest.

The Road King will take you anywhere the Ultra will for just a little less comfort. Five years from now if you have the money then trade up to an Ultra. Seems like you're not one for delayed gratification, but maybe you should be more cautious about spenking $22K. Enjoy what you have-alot of folks would be overjoyed to have an 08 Road King. Just my .02

Old 01-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: trade in '08 RKC for '08 Ultra? quit chucklin' and give me your 2 cents please...

It seems like my dealer basically takes what he thinks he can sell the bike for and deducts $1000 to get a reasonable trade in value. I'm sure if a bike needs a lot of maintenance that will be considered as well.

I traded my '07 Heritage on an '08 EGC and got a trade that I was satisfied with. Since I only had to pay sales tax on the difference I did as well as I would have, had I sold it myself.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:25 PM
Aslan
Road Master

I am afraid you are going to take a nastyhit trading in so soonbut if you can aford it and you and the Mrs. are going to be happy then go ahead.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:33 PM
HDChloe
Road Captain

I bought an RK Custom and 4 months later traded it for an 06 Street Glide. I was in the same boat you were in; I seen the RK Custom and was sold w/o thinking about everything. Anyway, I took a $3000 hit on the trade in. If I would have added everything I wanted to the RK Custom to make it a SG (fairing, stereo, etc) it would have cost me $2700. I decided to go the quick route and buy the SG. The dealer has sold me 3 harleys now so I felt like they didn't rape me too bad.

Here is the difference: These are toys to me and I paid cash. Only you know your financial situation and that should tell you what to do.

THINK ABOUT IT BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING THAT INCLUDES $20,000!!! j/k

Old 01-26-2008, 06:18 PM
papa_freeman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HDChloe

I bought an RK Custom and 4 months later traded it for an 06 Street Glide. I was in the same boat you were in; I seen the RK Custom and was sold w/o thinking about everything. Anyway, I took a $3000 hit on the trade in. If I would have added everything I wanted to the RK Custom to make it a SG (fairing, stereo, etc) it would have cost me $2700. I decided to go the quick route and buy the SG. The dealer has sold me 3 harleys now so I felt like they didn't rape me too bad.

Here is the difference: These are toys to me and I paid cash. Only you know your financial situation and that should tell you what to do.

THINK ABOUT IT BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING THAT INCLUDES $20,000!!! j/k
OK, thanks to all for the view points... let me quickly say that I tried to make clear that I do love the RKC, and I do not consider buying it a mistake.

I was just wondering out loud what the damage would be to go for the Ultra. If I could limit the hit to something similar to HDChloe's situation, then I would go for it because I would more than make up for the loss in the interest saved. $22k at 6% should generate interest over 5 years of about $3600, but the 1% on, oh say $29,000, would only be about $600 or so, and the payment would be about the same. (unless I seriously screwed up the math)

Yeah, private sale wold probably be the better way to go... anyone else out there in the same boat --- how did you fare???

Old 01-26-2008, 06:33 PM
producer
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi,
I've got a 2004 ultra classic. I love it!! wouldn't trade it.
They are very nice on long trips. Especially the ride and the cruise control ( the real deal, not the thumbscrew!!! LOL ) I can ride for 12 hours. I'm tired but not beat up by the wind and bad shocks.
As far as the trade, I look at things this way. This is one of my hobbies. I take losses as experiences and let them go.
Take the leap!
PS. I installed a detachable tour packkit on the bike so that I can have that Saturday nite look and ride when I'm in town. Iinstalled Deutch connectors when I cut the wires, so re attachment is done in a matter of minutes.

Producer

Old 01-26-2008, 06:43 PM
HarlyFan
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bend Over!!!

Old 01-26-2008, 06:57 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: papa_freeman
anyone else out there in the same boat --- how did you fare???

Not in the same exact boat but similar. Traded in my 06 Street Glide for an 07 Road Glide back in July. Decided now I want to go back to the batwing. So I stopped in to my local dealer to see what kind of deal I could get. I got them down to $20k OTD on an 2008 two-tone EG classic. I owe $14,200 on the RG and they are giving me $13,100. Here is how it breaks down.

MSRP: $19615
Negative equity: 1100
Freight: 795
Tax: 130
Doc Fee: 130
Dealer Prep: 129
Title work: 85

Total: $21984
Price OTD: $20000
Savings: $1984

Not that bad of a deal.

And papa_freeman: While I was in there my salesman told me about a guy who ironically is in the same boat you are in. He bought an 08 Road King and traded it in a few months later on an 08 Ultra. He said he took about a $3500 loss.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:00 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Why are you asking this here? Just go ask the dealer what it will cost you to do the trade. That's the quickest way and you get the correct answer.

If you are seeking approval here then you will get a mixed review. For most of us, and it seems like for you also, a bike purchase is an emotional thing based more on your heart than what is practical. I say go with your heart. Life can be too short and they say at the end you only regret the things that you did not do, not the things that you did. Good luck.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:23 PM
sugarbear
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can stand the beat go for it I would ride the ultra first to make sure that is what you want to do. I went from and rk to an ultra. I loved the rk and it wasn't that bad on long trips the ultra is just better.

Quick Reply: trade in '08 RKC for '08 Ultra? quit chucklin' and give me your 2 cents please...