Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

overheating?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 10:10 AM
tugboat
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating?

i got a 05 ultra, fuel injected, i bought it new. it now has 8100 miles. i think it runs hot, how can you tell? it is hard to start when hot. turns over slow. kinda like an old 350 chevy with a dragging starter. the oem mufflers are turning gold. the whole bike is oem. the local dealer says all is well. they have had it 5 times since march of 05. if i went to a high flow air cleaner and a pair of aftermarket slip ons would i have to do any ecm calibration? and if so what? the local dealer would not be my first choice. any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-15-2006, 10:18 AM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: overheating?

It sounds like you have a lean condition. Going with stage 1 and hi-flow will definitely help and you will have to have a new ECMWith labor, the muflers, and stage 1 which includes hi-flow and ecm you are probably looking at about $700.00.

Old 01-15-2006, 10:21 AM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: tugboat

i got a 05 ultra, fuel injected, i bought it new. it now has 8100 miles. i think it runs hot, how can you tell? it is hard to start when hot. turns over slow. kinda like an old 350 chevy with a dragging starter. the oem mufflers are turning gold. the whole bike is oem. the local dealer says all is well. they have had it 5 times since march of 05. if i went to a high flow air cleaner and a pair of aftermarket slip ons would i have to do any ecm calibration? and if so what? the local dealer would not be my first choice. any input would be greatly appreciated.
Yes...............a reclibrate would have to be done. I suggest getting a tuner.

Old 01-15-2006, 10:48 AM
mndemohead
Tourer

possible you have a bad starter? A little weak?

Old 01-15-2006, 11:04 AM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Chances are it's running hot due to it running lean which is how they come from the factory so the dealership is not gonna find anything wrong. With that being said DO NOT go with a HD Download as it's garbage and still causes the bike to run lean.

You can go with a different Air Intake and Exhaust, but I recommend going with some sort of programmer SERT/PCIII and have the bike dyno tuned so that it runs right and not lean like the factory setup. Every bike is different so a generic map is not the way to go if your spending any kind of money your gonna want the most for the $$$ spent.

Old 01-15-2006, 12:52 PM
nmfxstc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure why a lot of folks complain about the factory remap?

I have an o5 Ultra with Stage One and HD remap...11,000 miles now in all types of conditions and weather and the plugs show very clean and even burning, mileage remains a steady 32 city/45 highway, adequate power and no problems what so ever.

If this remap was lean, the plugs and performance sure don't show it. It also seems to me that a crappy remap would mean a lot more problems forthe MOCO, so there must be something correct about this remap.

Old 01-15-2006, 12:54 PM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are ALOT of people that are having problems with the remap causing popping and other problems. Maybe your one of the lucky ones. Also every bike is different so what works on 1 bike may not work on others..

Old 01-15-2006, 02:16 PM
Guard Bum
Advanced

Add me to the list of lucky ones. My 05 Ultra SE Stage 1, SE Slip ons and H-D remap runs great. No pinging or popping and plugs reflect a clean run. I am by no means an expert so take this for what its worth:

Based on what I am reading on this forum it seems that the H-D download works considerably better on the 05's than the 06's. Also, It seems the H-D ECM upate is spec'd solely for SE parts. If you don't stick with strictly SE parts, it appears that you clearly need remap other than H-D so you can match your set-up exactly and get the most out of your system.

Tugboat, Sounds like your bike needs some further tuning to compemnsate for the lean factory settings. I recommend the H-D Stage one and SE slipons. If you have the capability and a local dyno and tech, you cetainly can't go wrong with a sert or PCIII, but I am very happy with this set-up and the H-D download. Good luck. Stay safe.

Old 01-15-2006, 05:00 PM
05 Ultra
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

My 05 runs hot as a firecracker! In fact you could light a firecracker on the pipes I'm sure. Bet you could too! Just take your bike for a ride at night and take a look at the pipes when you stop. My bet is they're glowing red! My dealer didn't believe me till I made them turn the shop lights out. They called the factory and was told "its normal" Seems to get the TC pass the EPA the bike has to run lean. I have the Stage 1 D/L with SE slip ons and filter since I picked up the bike so I don't know how it would have been stock, but "free breathing" isn't the answer. I'm toying with getting the SERT or the PCIII. Just having a hard time justifying the cost. Plus I understand you can expect to stop for gas a bit more often.

Old 01-15-2006, 10:35 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure why a lot of folks complain about the factory remap
Add me to the list of lucky ones.
I guess I'm another of the lucky few, 12,000 miles on a Stage 1 download, SE A/C and SE slip-ons. No decel popping, plugs look good, bike runs great.

Quick Reply: overheating?