Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

overheating?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 01:45 AM
05 Ultra
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: overheating?

`I never said my bike didn't run great. Just don't get stuck in traffic. Otherwise its perfect. 47-50 MPG, pulls strong. Thats why I can't justify the cost of the SERT. How often does that happen? To often.

Old 01-16-2006, 09:25 AM
tugboat
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man! 47-50 mpg!! and i've heard from others who are in the mid to low 40's, that is unbeliavable! my bike is consistenly in the mid to low 30's!!

Old 01-16-2006, 10:52 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

tugboat

A lot of good advise given here, what matters is that no matter how well a person thinks their particular bike is running, if it is stock from the factory , it's very lean, the 06's are even leaner, to the point of causing some running problems for many. You don't realize the potential of these bikes until you richen things up and change the air inlet and mufflers.
If you feel your bike is running hot, then you have the option to richen it up using various methods depending on whether you are contemplating future mods. The TC's run hot for openers.
Here's a link that will explain the differences between the mods... https://www.hdforums.com/forumid_247/tt.htm

What I would suggest, depending on whether you intend to do cams and headwork is the TFI. It's an easy install and setup and the bike will run much better and cooler also. It's also the least costly of the options and can be done by the owner without dyno runs to set it up.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_64814/tm.htm

If you intend to go further with mods, then the PCIII or SERT would be in order then.

Also, with plug reading.. it's a thing of the past as the absence of lead in the fuels today will give you usually a white insulater on the plug most of the time, some coloration is usually due to the fuel additives and not to the mixture itself.

This will explain plug reading... https://www.hdforums.com/m_66688/tm.htm

Old 01-16-2006, 02:57 PM
skywagon
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well my o5 runs cool as a cuke lol. Pisses me off as i can't lite my cigar off the pipes like my neighbor can lol
ORIGINAL: 05 Ultra

My 05 runs hot as a firecracker! In fact you could light a firecracker on the pipes I'm sure. Bet you could too! Just take your bike for a ride at night and take a look at the pipes when you stop. My bet is they're glowing red! My dealer didn't believe me till I made them turn the shop lights out. They called the factory and was told "its normal" Seems to get the TC pass the EPA the bike has to run lean. I have the Stage 1 D/L with SE slip ons and filter since I picked up the bike so I don't know how it would have been stock, but "free breathing" isn't the answer. I'm toying with getting the SERT or the PCIII. Just having a hard time justifying the cost. Plus I understand you can expect to stop for gas a bit more often.