Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tour pack install??????????

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009 | 03:39 PM
rascal1007
5th Gear

I am installing an Ultra Tour-Pak with the additional lights on my 09 SE Road Glide and have a slightly different issue. I have located a 3 prong plug by the fuse box and it has the same wire colors as the main harness (1 blue, 1 black and 1 red with a yellow stripe) so I thought I had the correct plug. Also, the harness doesn't appear to have any slack wire; just a short pigtail about 4" long. When I check the output with a test light, I have 1 wire that's live, but don't get anything for signal lights. I took the harness out of the tour-pak and connected it up. No signal lights!

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Old 07-14-2009 | 04:01 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

yep always a great site for info-ride safe

Old 07-14-2009 | 04:20 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Runner78
Hello, I've been reading this Forum for some time. Not new to riding, Not new to Harleys, NEW here. Currently on an 07 Street Glide. Will be adding detachable tour pack and lowers. You guys offer some VERY good tech tips, opinions, assistance and help. Every so often, some of you getrather "testy" also, I guess that keeps the placealive and of interest. Your ability to turn a wonderful bike into individual works of art is amazing. Some of you seem to accomplish thatright off the line, some over time. I'm an over timer, not because I'm cheap, but I likea slow build that evolvesas I do,works for me. Anyway, I've enjoyedthe forum and looking forward to being a part of this community.

Runner
Welcome to the Forum. This is a fantastic place to learn about H-D's, motorcycles in general and have a good chucle too. A bunch of very knowledgable folks here and a few characters too yes.

Old 07-14-2009 | 09:06 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by rascal1007
I am installing an Ultra Tour-Pak with the additional lights on my 09 SE Road Glide and have a slightly different issue. I have located a 3 prong plug by the fuse box and it has the same wire colors as the main harness (1 blue, 1 black and 1 red with a yellow stripe) so I thought I had the correct plug. Also, the harness doesn't appear to have any slack wire; just a short pigtail about 4" long. When I check the output with a test light, I have 1 wire that's live, but don't get anything for signal lights. I took the harness out of the tour-pak and connected it up. No signal lights!

Any ideas?

Thanks!!
The black wire is ground; the blue is "run" light (energized when ignition switch is "on;" and, the red/yellow wire is brake light) energized when ignition is "on" and front or rear brake engaged.

It should be a simple matter of plugging the tour pak harness that's on the bike (usually located under the left side cover, coiled and zip-tied) to the tour pak's wiring harness.

Personally, I'm not familiar with the SE Road Glide's wiring, but typically that wiring is part of the bike's main wiring harness and would be the same as an FLTR. My local dealer has an '09 SE RG in for service so I'll see if I can take a look at it tomorrow.

You should start a thread with your issue since this one is older and doesn't address your specific bike/problem.

Old 07-14-2009 | 10:14 PM
rascal1007
5th Gear

Thanks Harleypingman,

I will start a new thread, and update tpomorrow with some photos.

Old 07-14-2009 | 10:16 PM
pwp
Cruiser

*** DELETED ***
(I screwed up. I had too many browser windows open, and ended up replying to the wrong post. Sorry!!)

Old 07-14-2009 | 10:19 PM
Jlbflhtc
Cruiser

No signal lights on my Tour Pack, just brake and running lights. Unless this is something new.

Old 07-15-2009 | 11:00 AM
rascal1007
5th Gear

Probably just a goof on my part; I assumed that with dual filament bulbs there would be signal lights. The running and brake lights work fine when I plug them into the available pigtail. Would still need to buy or build an extension from the pigtail on the bike to the tour-pak.

My 09 SERG doesn't have a seperate brake light, just left and right dual intensity LED's so I may rewire the tour pack to have running, brake and signal lights on the tour-pak.

Old 07-16-2009 | 12:34 AM
ucommbxny
Road Master

i installed a ultra tour pac on my 08 road glide, there is enough wire to run into the tour pac , start from the rear of the bike with the antenna wire cutting the plastic ties that hold iit in place, remove seat, you will see antenna wire goes into a casing that also contains light wire harness and plug, the wire assembly goes down the left side front of fender and is plastic tied in a loop to the right side of fuse block, cut plastic tie and pull it up through the hole, secure wire anlong frame rail and into tour pac, use rubber grommets for hloe in tour pac for wire harness to run through, if you are not adding speaker boxes Lowes sells nylon hole plugs 7/16" to fill mounting holes for speaker bolts just use a little silicone to keep them from popping out,on the other side of tour pack hole for another wire harness i installed a grommet filled in with silicone, hope this helps. and for the record the lights on ultra tour pac are running and brake lights only no turn signals.

Old 07-16-2009 | 11:57 AM
rascal1007
5th Gear

I wish my 09 SE had the longer harness but it doesn't. The pigtail is only 4 or 5 inches long.

I have attached 2 photos showing the pigtail.

Attached Thumbnails  tour pack install??????????-p1010008.jpg    tour pack install??????????-p1010013.jpg  

Quick Reply: tour pack install??????????