Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power PACC

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 01:36 PM
Plunk
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power PACC

Does anyone have any experience with the Doherty Power PACC? I have an '05 Ultra bumped up to a 95" and would like to squeeze a few more horses out of it and get it tuned in better. I am running a TW26 cam, SERT, and Reinhart true duals but get pinging out of it on hot days under heavy torque with a couple flat spots during acceleration. Plan A is to get a better air filter system...maybe the Power PACC to replace the SE...and have Dr. Dyno take over and tune it dead on. Thoughts and input?

Old 01-25-2008, 01:57 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Power PACC

tune will probably result in the greatest improvement. The power PAC is a great setup, but likely not the solution to the problem you describe.

One of two things are the main cause for ping & flatspots... Too lean & too much timing advance. There are others but in your build (as long as you have not jacked compression up too high) ther are the most likely candidates. Fuel quality plays a part as well, but I'd suspect tune.

If you wanna change the intake, do it b4 you spend $$$ on tune so that its tuned in the config you intend to ride with.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Dennydp
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Doherty power pack air cleaner and think its a great setup.I dont think you will see a change in hp with the aircleaner.Sounds like they need to build you a better fuel map

Old 01-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Plunk: +1 for Phil's suggestion that you probably have too much advance/not enough fuel for the hot weather/heavy condition so you are experiencing pinging.

Perhaps you can get Doherty to pay for a"before and after" tune: They claim a hp increase with the Power Pacc--your bike would provide an excellent test for their claim.

Also, if you have a laptop, you could attach the SERT and runin DATA MODE to replicate the pingingscenario and pinpoint where you get pinging, then adjust a/f and/or timing to address it yourself.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:49 PM
Plunk
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in agreement with Phil, Denny and HPman that the fuel map is the answer to my problems. My original Plan A was just to have it tuned again but thought that as long as I was going to have it retuned, why not give it some better air and go with the Power Pacc. It has been on the dyno twice and they just cannot get the ping out when the engine gets hot. I have heard nothing but good things about Dr. Dyno and am trying to get hooked up with him either in New York or Maine if he can get sites.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:15 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

I agree with everyone else on this one. The SE unit is a good one in my opinion. I think you would be better off saving the money for a Power Pacc and getting the tune right. It will ride like a new bike. The 26 cams are a proven winner with stock heads and compression.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:05 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

One nice design feature on the power pacc is that it does not vent the oil blow by gases back into the combustion chamber like the SE one does. I have a newer style SE air cleaner and there is not good way to vent to the atmosphere with it. I know epa and greenies like it that way but i hate putting anything in the combustion chamber but gas and air. I am saving my pennies for the power pacc. I know Mike Stegmann of Latus has done a bizzilion dynos and he says that there is no difference in power between SE and the power pacc.