Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slick rear tire????

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008 | 03:22 PM
Bigredone
Road Master
Default RE: slick rear tire????

Hate to inform ya, but Dalton is in the "expert" catagory for advice around here. If ya don't want folks to give ya an answere, don't ask a question!

Old 01-26-2008 | 03:31 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member

I don't check tire pressure EVERY time I ride, but I do a quick visual inspecition of the tires. I check pressure once a week, OR before a trip longer than the commute to work.

I have nearly 9k on my Rear Dunlop, and have PLENTY of tread left.

Old 01-26-2008 | 04:11 PM
sugarbear
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Bigredone

Hate to inform ya, but Dalton is in the "expert" catagory for advice around here. If ya don't want folks to give ya an answere, don't ask a question!
I asked a question about peoples experience about tires not on how I should ride. I guess I take offense to people telling me I don't have a clue. Maybe I should keep my questions to myself

Old 01-26-2008 | 04:22 PM
binkman78
Club Member

If you have a 16 to 18 year old Son in the household - that's where the tire wear came from - don't ask how I know this[sm=signs006.gif]

Old 01-26-2008 | 05:20 PM
redhwk44
Road Master

I got 11,000 out of my stock tire. The last 4800 of that was on a trip out to Colorado and Yellowstone last summer and we were loaded down. I checked my tires every morning before we headed out and it was almost like watching the tread disappear. After it gets to a certain point the wear really excellerates. Had it changed not long after we got back. 5000 seems low I would ask the dealer about it and if you don't get the answer you want I would contact Dunlop. JMHO

Jeff

Old 01-26-2008 | 05:38 PM
sweet07
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm wondering if road quality has anything to do with it. The stretch of hiway i use seems to be very rough/coarse. I got 7k on original tire and 5k on second. Both OEM tires. Got the metz 880s on now. We'll see...

Old 01-26-2008 | 06:17 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

maybe Mama has to visit Jenny Craig

Old 01-27-2008 | 06:50 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master

Tyre wear is difficult as there are so many variables.

Whenever the vehicle accelerates or decelerates a small amount of wear will occur, the greater these forces the more the wear.

Uneven roads, even to the slighest degree cause a little wear, as the suspension unloads on the low points of undulations, the tyre will spin to a very small degree causing wear.

The type of road surface will of course alter the amount of wear.

If the majority of your miles is at a constant speed on main highways with low loads you should see increased tyre longevity. However even with this ideal there is still always a very small amount of tyre slip. It is this slip which causes the wear, and the tyres to gain heat.

Tyres are designed to run at their best at operating temperatures allowed by the tyer manufacturer. Cold tyres will wear slightly faster than tyers running at their operating temperature, as will tyres running at higher temps. Under inflated tyers, or the wrong specification of tyre can cause increased tyre temperatures which at best can lead to incresaed tyer wear.

The stock Dunlop tyres are a pretty hard compound and should give pretty high mileages for most riders. I dont know but I doubt many after market tyres will give mileages higher than the stockers, but what we lose in mileage we gain in traction.

As for load, there really shouldnt be much difference to running solo or two up, until one gets to extreems at either end of that spectrum.

For what its worth it looks like I am going to get 10,000 to 12,000 miles out of my rear, the front would probably go another 5,000 to 8,000 above that, but will get changed out with the rear. Oh and those are the OEM stockers.

WB

Old 01-27-2008 | 06:57 AM
relli
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: sugarbear

ORIGINAL: XTrooper3936

I'm wondering how you could be keeping a close eye on tire pressure and not realize you were running on a bald tire?

My guess is you were running underinflated for the load you were carrying. If not, the tire was defective. This would be rare, but not impossible.
The tire was not run underinflated. LIKEI SAIDI WATCH THE TIRE PRESSURE. I did not look at the tread depth. Who would have thought it would be worn out at 5000 miles. Would you have checked your tread at that low miles?
how else would you know if there were nails ect... in it??????????? just changed my dunlop 402 frt and rear 30k on frt 15k on rear. something wrong on yours for that to happen IMO

Old 01-27-2008 | 07:06 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Dalton

ORIGINAL: sugarbear

ORIGINAL: XTrooper3936

I'm wondering how you could be keeping a close eye on tire pressure and not realize you were running on a bald tire?

My guess is you were running underinflated for the load you were carrying. If not, the tire was defective. This would be rare, but not impossible.
The tire was not run underinflated. LIKEI SAIDI WATCH THE TIRE PRESSURE. I did not look at the tread depth. Who would have thought it would be worn out at 5000 miles. Would you have checked your tread at that low miles?
Absolutely would have checked the depth at that mileage, in fact, check the tread every time I ride for cuts, abrasions, glass, bolts, anything out of the normal. If you are not doing that, you are asking for problems IMO. A tire going down at 70mph can get real exciting.
Yes it is a good idea to just give the tires a quick check "pre ride"....you know the deal check the pressure and that. I dont do it when I am going five miles down the road for a cup of coffee, but if I am going on a "ride" I do. In fact I do a "pre ride inspection" on occasions like that.....I just like to have a routine....and that check is part of it.

If one of my tires was wearing unusually fast, I would at the very least bring it to the attention of my local HD service dept. and this way I have some tangible documentation as to a valid issue. Any time you bring a bike in for any type of service at my local dealer, the thread depth is measured with a gauge, and noted on the work order. So if you want to see about taking some sort of warranty action in the near future you will have this documentation to back up the claim, and to show actual mileage and tread depth, and date on a official work order.

Oh....and Dalton....I totally agree, but even if your tire goes down at 35-MPH it could be exciting.....even if it is only half as much as at 70-MPH.

Quick Reply: slick rear tire????