Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slick rear tire????

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008 | 09:25 AM
choochoo
Banned
Default RE: slick rear tire????

Betcha you have a dunlop!

Rarely does a Dunlop get much better than 5500 - 7500 on the rear on the HD touring bikes.
They are a cheap tire. That's why HD uses them.
do your self a favor go to a Metzler. 880 touring and go one width wider. If yours is a 120 go 130 if yours is 130 go 140.
More tread on the ground, better traction, more support and longer tread life.

I get mine from the Kawazaki dealer (have to carry wheel in) about $65 cheaper than H D dealer.
Kaw charges me $147 mounted balanced and tax.

Old 01-26-2008 | 09:27 AM
Blueslover
Cruiser

Probably the biggest thing to cause premature tire wear is underinflation. Run the maximum recommended pressure to get the maximum tire wear. Hard starts, and downshifting also causes wear. 8K on a stock Dunflop is "normal". When a tire gets 3/32, it should be replaced, IMO. They wear really FAST when the tread gets low...don't ask me how I know this ;-).

I run Metzler 880's now...two up and loaded suggested pressure is 50psi rear, and 44psi front. Still get around 8K on the rear...two rears, and it's time to replace both of them. I will never go back to the 402's. I have heard good things about the new Michelin's as well. The difference in the Metz and the stock 402 is amazing!!

Old 01-26-2008 | 10:20 AM
Scootr
Road Master

ORIGINAL: XTrooper3936

You may very well be the most skilled rider on the planet, but pre-ride inspections are important. The Motorcyle Safety Foundation teaches and recommends the T-CLOCS method of pre-trip inspection which is a good one. Guess what the T stands for?

http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/T-C...nChecklist.pdf
Good checklist.

Being a pilot I have always been a fan of the pre-flight inspection. Once airborn you can't just pull over if something goes wrong. Same goes for the bike. A flat or broken part is a little more important on the bike than in the cage. I will keep this checklist in the garage near the bike.

Old 01-26-2008 | 10:36 AM
campincowboy
Tourer

My rear at 9350 mi is just now nearing 3/32. Two up always with loaded bags. Are metz really a better handling tire? I have very few complaints with stock except wet grooved roads. Anybody know best place near ft worth fo tires? thanks in advance.

Old 01-26-2008 | 10:45 AM
Blueslover
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: campincowboy

My rear at 9350 mi is just now nearing 3/32. Two up always with loaded bags. Are metz really a better handling tire? I have very few complaints with stock except wet grooved roads. Anybody know best place near ft worth fo tires? thanks in advance.
I think the Metz tires are excellent...do not follow rain grooves, better wet weather traction, and I have more confidence in the twisties. I think they also "fall into" turns better because of the profile. Like I said, I'll never go back. I get mine from a local Indy shop.

Old 01-26-2008 | 11:30 AM
wizard2
Intermediate

wait a minute u have an 08 and the tire bad didnt u fill out ur warranty card from the dealer on dunlop

Old 01-26-2008 | 11:49 AM
ncduncan2
Novice

t has to be a defective tire

Old 01-26-2008 | 01:51 PM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
From: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.

Worth checking with the dealer. I have nearly 12,900 miles on the stock Dunlop rear (and front) on '04 RKC.

Mostly solo. Highway runs, no fast starts, Iride like I'm 90.

Thought I was missing something. Had tires inspected 2 weeks ago when had some wiring done.

They looked the tires over, said they had another 2K or so, and not to replace them 'til they needed replacing.

I'll throw a new rear on at the 15K oil change.

Not all Dunlops are crap...mine are doing just fine.

Old 01-26-2008 | 03:05 PM
sugarbear
|
Road Master

You guys that check your tires everytime you ride do you roll the bike forward a foot and look at both tires and then roll it up again and check again or do you just look at the part you can see. Unless you are rolling it and checking you aren't doing a real good inspection. I asked a simple question about a tire and so called expert came out of the woodworks telling me how to ride. Thanks. And by the way someone who has been on this forum for a year and has over 5000 post must be mostly typing and inspecting and not riding. You other guys that offered helpful advise thanks you others you know what you can do.

Old 01-26-2008 | 03:11 PM
Snipman
Cruiser

Got about 11k out of my last 402 on 2000 ultra 2 up most of time. Have 10k on a Metezler 880 on a Roadstar 1600 with maybe 2k left on it. Both run at 40psi. Possibly screwed up at plant and run wrong compound? Seems like everything is costing more $ but lasting way less time. Isnt progress great?

Quick Reply: slick rear tire????