Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slick rear tire????

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008 | 02:13 PM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Default RE: slick rear tire????

I'm wondering how you could be keeping a close eye on tire pressure and not realize you were running on a bald tire?

My guess is you were running underinflated for the load you were carrying. If not, the tire was defective. This would be rare, but not impossible.

Old 01-25-2008 | 06:31 PM
sugarbear
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: XTrooper3936

I'm wondering how you could be keeping a close eye on tire pressure and not realize you were running on a bald tire?

My guess is you were running underinflated for the load you were carrying. If not, the tire was defective. This would be rare, but not impossible.
The tire was not run underinflated. LIKEI SAIDI WATCH THE TIRE PRESSURE. I did not look at the tread depth. Who would have thought it would be worn out at 5000 miles. Would you have checked your tread at that low miles?

Old 01-25-2008 | 06:48 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: sugarbear

The tire was not run underinflated. LIKEI SAIDI WATCH THE TIRE PRESSURE. I did not look at the tread depth. Who would have thought it would be worn out at 5000 miles. Would you have checked your tread at that low miles?
Absolutely would have checked the depth at that mileage, in fact, check the tread every time I ride for cuts, abrasions, glass, bolts, anything out of the normal. If you are not doing that, you are asking for problems IMO. A tire going down at 70mph can get real exciting.

Old 01-25-2008 | 06:59 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer

My original stock Dunlop went slick at 5,500 miles. My second I had to replace at 12,000. So I did get 6,500 miles out of it. Absolutely kept 40 psi in it at all times, no hard braking and no hard acceleration. Added the IDS at 12,000 and put on the new Michelin Commanders both front and rear. Will be interesting to see the mileage now. Only have about 1,000 on the new Michelins with IDS now.

Jim

07 Ultra

Old 01-25-2008 | 08:00 PM
sugarbear
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Dalton

Absolutely would have checked the depth at that mileage, in fact, check the tread every time I ride for cuts, abrasions, glass, bolts, anything out of the normal. If you are not doing that, you are asking for problems IMO. A tire going down at 70mph can get real exciting.
I check the tires from time to time but have never checked them every time I ride, of course I have only been riding for 48 years. I guess I have just been lucky and old habits are hard to break.

Old 01-26-2008 | 06:11 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior

Would you have checked your tread at that low miles?
As a matter of fact, I would and do. It's called a pre-trip inspection. You can pick up a nail on brand-new tires. Mileage has nothing to do with it.

Old 01-26-2008 | 06:22 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior

I check the tires from time to time but have never checked them every time I ride, of course I have only been riding for 48 years. I guess I have just been lucky and old habits are hard to break.
Well, you were riding around on a bald tire and didn't have a clue till it was discovered at the dealership. Whatever the cause, that rear tire didn't go bald overnight, so your "time to time" inspections were obviously not enough. Regarding riding for 48 years, what does that have to do with anything? Hell, I know people that having been cooking for longer than that and their meals are STILL inedible!

You may very well be the most skilled rider on the planet, but pre-ride inspections are important. The Motorcyle Safety Foundation teaches and recommends the T-CLOCS method of pre-trip inspection which is a good one. Guess what the T stands for?

http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/T-C...nChecklist.pdf

Old 01-26-2008 | 06:27 AM
StreetGlide2006
Road Warrior

Personally I check the air psi. and tread wear every other day during riding season. I have done this from the time the tire was new. Never know when you will pick up a nail or somthing. I got 13,000 out of mt stock rear.

Ride Safe,

Mike

Old 01-26-2008 | 06:38 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor

Hell, I know people that having been cooking for longer than that and their meals are STILL inedible!

So you DO Know my wife?

cop bikes rule..

Old 01-26-2008 | 09:02 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member

Dont have 48 years riding but do have almost 40. As a Fleet Safety Manager for a trucking company, I am always after the guys to do thorough pre-trip inspections, and it has spilled over into my daily riding.

Not preaching to anyone, but as I said earlier, a tire going down at 70mph can get real exciting!

Quick Reply: slick rear tire????