Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing HD saddlebag covers

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008 | 12:56 PM
Scorpio49
|
Cruiser
Default Installing HD saddlebag covers

2007 RG

Starting to install HDsaddlebag covers. Positioned velcro - waiting for it to set up - instruction say 24 hrs.

Seems like a very snug fit. Does the seamed edge go over the very edge of the lid? Seems like there's going to be a lot of tuggng to get it to fit properly and look right. Any advice?

Thanks

Old 01-25-2008 | 12:58 PM
Z_Stingray
Tourer
Default RE: Installing HD saddlebag covers

They will stretch eventually. Let them sit in the sun for a bit to warm up, then refit.

Old 01-25-2008 | 01:10 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Lil stretching

Old 01-25-2008 | 01:52 PM
mrsr71
Outstanding HDF Member

Ya gotta heat ‘em in the sun and stretch like h*ell. One word of caution, the glue that holds the Velcro to the bag WILL FAIL.
Mine did last summer in the heat. Now even in the cold, it still starts to come unfastened. Not sure what to do as I really like
the protection they give.

Old 01-25-2008 | 02:31 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

The Velcro shouldn't fail. At least, mine hasn't in 4 years. If you need more of that heavy duty Velcro in the future, you can get it in the sewing section at Walmart. I bought some a while back to mount a CB in a Jeep console. It's stuck and ain't coming off.

Old 01-25-2008 | 04:41 PM
valleyrider
Cruiser

They will fit better with age. They will stretch and smooth out, just pull them as tight as possible when installing.

They are great , have had a lot of compliments with them on.

Old 01-25-2008 | 05:14 PM
gene01
Road Captain

I got one set that was trash, took it to the dealer and said this stuff is trash,the one on the right side fit well, the one on the left diddn'tthey said, oh, they take time to warm up and reshape.... I said, you need to look at this thing, they walked out to their parking lot after telling me that I didn't install correctly or that I didn't wait for it to stretch, we got to the bike and the parts manager said, lets get a new set for you.... this thing was about 3 inches too wide and not as long as the bags.... the other was perfect... you may have a bad set from Asia

Old 01-25-2008 | 05:23 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member

Mine fit great right out of the box...the edge of the covers goes over the edge of the lid...and the velcro tape hasn't come off yet...I've had them for two summers now...and it was a hot ride to sturgis last aug.

Old 01-25-2008 | 05:36 PM
mrsr71
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: xxxflhrci

The Velcro shouldn't fail. At least, mine hasn't in 4 years. If you need more of that heavy duty Velcro in the future, you can get it in the sewing section at Walmart. I bought some a while back to mount a CB in a Jeep console. It's stuck and ain't coming off.

Velcro fail?? Where did you read that??

I stated that the GLUE failed.

Old 01-25-2008 | 05:56 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: mrsr71
Not sure what to do as I really like
the protection they give.
Try putting some liquid nails or gorilla glue on the back of the velcro piece and stick it back on. I put the insert on my 04 with liquid nails and ain't nobody getting that thing off

Quick Reply: Installing HD saddlebag covers