Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got my tour pack

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008 | 06:05 AM
shortleg
|
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my tour pack

Just got my king tour pack for my
Street Glide.Only took about 3 weeks.
Now my question is what is the best way to go about drilling
the holes for the tour pack rack.
Thanks
Shortleg[Dave]

Old 01-25-2008 | 06:21 AM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior
Default RE: Just got my tour pack

ORIGINAL: shortleg

Just got my king tour pack for my
Street Glide.Only took about 3 weeks.
Now my question is what is the best way to go about drilling
the holes for the tour pack rack.
Thanks
Shortleg[Dave]
If your talking about the top rack, IMHO I would not do it.. looks better without it..

Old 01-25-2008 | 06:24 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lay the rack on the TP and get an idea about where the mounting holes will be, then take either masking ot blue painters tape and apply full length strips down the top (i normally do 2-3 overlapping) to ensure good coverage. You can also apply a couple of pieces on the inside too if you want to. Then lay your rack back on top, position it where you want it and then use a pen to trace around the 4 mounting post and then remove. The instructions will tell you what size drill bit to use but i normally go about 2-3 sizes down from that and start with a small pilot hole and work my way up to the proper size. After drilling, open the tour pack and you are ready to install. Slip the black cupped washers under each post and start to put the bolts in from the inside. You will want to alternate tightening the bolts down. (Some people will even put a small amount of silicone sealant around the bolt on the inside for extra water protection) I have done it with and without and have never had a problem with the rack leaking. After tightening all the bolts you are done. Close tour pack, turn ignition switch and go ride !!!!!!!! Good luck, it's easy.

Old 01-25-2008 | 06:30 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you mean the tour-pac luggage rack, cover the general area the feet will rest in with either masking or painters tape. Set the rack on the tape, measure/square it up, mark around the feet, drill the holes. Put silicone around the bolts & under the protective washers & you're set to go.

Old 01-25-2008 | 06:47 AM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Here is an idea.If you have to ask those questions go to the dealer. Remember,if they screw up they pay. If you screw up, you pay.

Old 01-25-2008 | 06:54 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: MACK

Here is an idea.If you have to ask those questions go to the dealer. Remember,if they screw up they pay. If you screw up, you pay.
What a condescending answer. I hope you never ask for advice or opinions on something you've never done before.

Old 01-25-2008 | 08:00 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

ORIGINAL: Jim Dawson

ORIGINAL: MACK

What a condescending answer. I hope you never ask for advice or opinions on something you've never done before.
I didn't read MACK's answer as condescending, only helpful. A tour pak is a HUGE item to drill if you're not sure what you are doing. Personally I would rather pay $30 or so to have it drilled then take a chance at messing up a thousand dollar item. To each his own, but he offered an idea, not a judgement.

Old 01-25-2008 | 08:11 AM
etrader
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't they come with a template & instructions, mask, measure & drill...how hard can it be??

Old 01-25-2008 | 08:29 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I didn't see Mack's response as sarcastic.

Fact is there are some who really would be better off having the dealer do it.

This is one of those DIY"s that ought to have a permanent sticky since it seems to be asked every week or two.

Old 01-25-2008 | 09:11 AM
jakester
Tourer

I have to agree with richard i wouldnt do it (looks better without it IMO) and also with BIGDADDY....NOT A BAD idea to see what dealer will charge its not like you have to take the whole bike in!!! But what ever you decide this thread has been run before check it out ....GOOD LUCK...COME ON SPRING!!!!!

JAKESTER.....TIM.[sm=signs003.gif] [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Quick Reply: Just got my tour pack