Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got my tour pack

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008 | 10:11 AM
jbhawley
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Just got my tour pack

Well, it appears to me that the initial poster DOES, indeed want a rack installed so wheter it looks good is moot...he wants it. IMHO..i like the looks of the rack...I have one, it is very functional.

Now to the question at hand...
Throw the template that comes with the rack in the trash.
Go with Jinks instructions...much easier and you can actually see where you want to put the rack...There is really now perfect installation...i bet if you get 10 bikes with racks all 10 will have a slight different position as to where the holes were drilled. Just center the rack to your liking.

If you also have a tour pak lid organizer...i have a trick for that as well...the tape that comes with the organiser is crap and will eventually fail on a 90 degree sunny day and all your stuff will fall out when you open the lid.
My trick involves mounting a luggage rack and the lid organizer and connecting them all together. I will add another posting if anyone is interested...if not...i will leave it alone...

Old 01-25-2008 | 10:23 AM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

I used the template & thought I worked well.
If you plan to add the brake light spoiler in the future, make sure you have the rack close to the back rest. The template will show how close it needs to be.

Old 01-25-2008 | 07:32 PM
gunnert
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm pretty sure it comes with a template. If in doubt, the only other thing you might try is to visit a shop and measure where the location is in reference to the backrest. There are some great directions right here. Take your time, you'll have no trouble at all.

As far as looks go, I prefer with the rack. After-all its a "touring" bike. When we travel, my wife's bag goes in the tour pak, my bag goes on the rack, and the saddlebags are for riding gear, and, of course, booze!

Old 01-25-2008 | 07:50 PM
Joe Mark
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is nerve wrecking the first time you hold a drill up to such an expensive piece.........you are not alone. if you really are not thrilled by the idea, have it done. hey look how many folks pay to get an oil change... no big deal, ya do what works best for you. Hope to see some pics when your finished! Good luck, ride safe.