Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Oilcan
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: GPS

As others have said, the Zumo is probably the best of the lot but it is also probably the most expensive. I have the Zumo 550 and absolutely love it. It has so many features for the motorcycle rider (nice size touch screen, adjustible size letters for using with gloves, bluetooth, XM Radio/Wx interface with optional antenna), and on and on. It comes with RAM mounts for the bike and comes with two cradles, one for the bike and one for the cage. The cage cradle has a bulit in mic and speaker so that when it's interfaced with your cell phone via bluetooth, it's a hands free device. There are really too many features to list here and I'd suggest taking a look at the Garmin site for all the details. But as was said, it's pricy. It can be found in the $500 to $600 dollar range if you look around, perhaps less. I haven't seen any refurbished ones yet but that's not to say they aren't out there.

Good luck

Old 01-25-2008, 12:58 PM
murph3204
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 Zumo 550

Old 01-25-2008, 01:33 PM
DvlDog
Intermediate

I bought a refurbished Quest about 6 months ago for a little over $200. from Tiger Direct I bought the Ram mount for the bike and use the included mount for my truck. I have never had a problem with it. The Zumos are certainly a more elegant solution but, I couldn't justify the cost to "she who must be obeyed!"

Old 01-25-2008, 01:57 PM
dstockton
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the HD Conquest (really a Quest 2 with an HD mount). I like it because I can swap it between bikes and my car. The screen is a little small but I can read the important info and if you set it up right with the turning arrows, etc, you won't miss a turn. It is also a portable walk around unit which I have used at times with reportedly 20 hrs of battery life.

The Zumos are all the rage but they are large. A friend sold a Garmin 2610 and bought a Zumo but decided pretty quickly he didn't like the size and bulk of it on his bike. A few months later, it went on ebay and he bought aQuest 2.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:22 PM
ricoman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't see a need for GPS.
Hell, half the fun of going somewhere is taking the long way.
"No honey, we are NOT lost and I do not need to ask directions!" (she hears that often)
Am actually giving it some thought. Especially with the advice here.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:43 PM
billydflnc
Cruiser

No I'm not looking for fight... haha !!! Thanks for all the info boys... I did notice that some had a very large screen, some had a lower profile, etc., etc.,.... I take trips and sometimes you just have to ride in the rain so I can see waterproof is a must..... I will take all the advice and start comparing features/wants/needs/costs/etc., etc. ............Thanks for all the help boys !!!

Old 01-25-2008, 08:57 PM
cfmii11
Road Master

I've had both.
Do yourself a favor, get the zumo 550, there is no comparison.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:52 PM
mapman
Advanced

A buddy of mine found the ZUMO 550 for $631 ... I just found it for $585 ... nice! (or at least better!) ....

I think I'll get it for my wifefor her birthday ... Maybe since she doesn't have a motorcycle, I can use it ... [8D]

Old 04-21-2008, 02:18 PM
HawgriderPa
Road Captain

www.pcnation.com seems to have the best price on the zumo.. good service too

Old 04-21-2008, 02:21 PM
Merlin
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 Zumo 550