Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 03:02 AM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pulling Trailer

Just finished installing hitch and doing all the wiring for the trailer.

Tomorrow the high is 35 degrees, but am planning on loading up the trailer with 100 lbs. and testing it out.

Never pulled a trailer with a bike before.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:08 AM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Pulling Trailer

Neither have I but am getting readdy to buy one myself. Let us know how it is will ya.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:36 AM
Unbelievable
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just remember...

If you jump or bounce curbs .... with your bike,,,, don't forget about the trailer... especially at a funeral....

besides that.. you will think to yourself... "How did I ever go all these years with out one"

Side effects inculde .. but not limited tooo... a very rare social disease...

"Pack-alot-itis"

Old 01-25-2008, 04:49 AM
Smoky
Advanced

I gotta ask fellas. I been riding over 30 years but never a trailer. Over the years I have had several hazards to avoid and accidents to evade. I have to think in a panic stop situation or hard swerve the possibilty exists that the trailer will not want to follow and could kick your a$$ instead. Now I understand weight ratios and such but there has to be a point of no return. I have had my Ultra sideways and at that time I do feel the trailer would have fubar'd me and took me down. Please those with trailering expereince enlighten me. What have your road travels dealt you? What allowances do you have to make other than the obvious like remembering its there.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:14 AM
jbhawley
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know what type of trailer you have but a couple things to remember....from experience...
[ol][*]The obvious...dont overload it with weight[*]Keep the tongue weight to less than 25#. Get a spring scale (fish Scale) and once you get the trailer loaded just pick up the front (tongue) of the trailer with the spring scale and make sure it is less than 25#...if not reload to get more weight towards the rear of the trailer.[*]About 20-25# of air is enought in the trailer tires. The trailer will pull much better and will not bounce as bad. Most tires recommend 35-40# of air.....WAAAAAAYYYYYY to much. You might as well have solid rubber tires or a wagon wheel.[*]Remember the trailer is behind you. Eventually you will pull it enought to even forget it is there...especially at the gas pumps..the steel post that protect the gas pumps are screaming to casue issues...[*]Pulling a trailer will decrease your lean limits by (estimate) 20%...no more scrubbing the floorboards on turns. However, i pulled mine all across the Blue Ridge pky and area last summer with no issues...even rode the dragon (deals gap) pulling the trailer..no problem. Oh yea...there are many more road in the NC mountains that are better/more fun to ride than the dragon...it is overrated..IMHO. Try the road from the parkway to the blue ridge motorcycle campground with a dump truck in the rear while meeting a semi....pucker factor 100%.[*]It will, just like a auto trailer, take longer to stop and start. Allow extra room for stopping...especially when loaded.[/ol]Just a few tidbits of common sense that I think are worth noting.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:04 AM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: jbhawley

I dont know what type of trailer you have but a couple things to remember....from experience...
[ol][*]The obvious...dont overload it with weight[*]Keep the tongue weight to less than 25#. Get a spring scale (fish Scale) and once you get the trailer loaded just pick up the front (tongue) of the trailer with the spring scale and make sure it is less than 25#...if not reload to get more weight towards the rear of the trailer.[*]About 20-25# of air is enought in the trailer tires. The trailer will pull much better and will not bounce as bad. Most tires recommend 35-40# of air.....WAAAAAAYYYYYY to much. You might as well have solid rubber tires or a wagon wheel.[*]Remember the trailer is behind you. Eventually you will pull it enought to even forget it is there...especially at the gas pumps..the steel post that protect the gas pumps are screaming to casue issues...[*]Pulling a trailer will decrease your lean limits by (estimate) 20%...no more scrubbing the floorboards on turns. However, i pulled mine all across the Blue Ridge pky and area last summer with no issues...even rode the dragon (deals gap) pulling the trailer..no problem. Oh yea...there are many more road in the NC mountains that are better/more fun to ride than the dragon...it is overrated..IMHO. Try the road from the parkway to the blue ridge motorcycle campground with a dump truck in the rear while meeting a semi....pucker factor 100%.[*]It will, just like a auto trailer, take longer to stop and start. Allow extra room for stopping...especially when loaded.[/ol]
Just a few tidbits of common sense that I think are worth noting.

Good Info basically just like hauling a trailer with a vehicle you got to use your head.

1 question about the tire PSI thing is that to soften the trailers ride or is there another reason ?

Old 01-25-2008, 07:44 AM
HOGinit
Cruiser

Max weight is also about 350 lbs including trailer, the more weight the more following distance you need to allow. Over loading the trailer with all the weight in the rear can be just as bad as tomuch tongue weight. Tongue weight should be about 10% of total trailer weight. I recommend a swivel hitch that can rotate 360 degrees, so if something upsets the trailer it will not pull the bike over. I found that the trailer is a stabilizing element on the bike in wind or turbulence such as created by a 18 wheel truck passing or meeting. The biggest problem with pulling a trailer is improper or over loading and then forgeting that it is back there and not allowing enough stoping distance. Equally problematic is the fact that following drivers will not allow enough stopping distance. A lot of trailer involved accidents happen because the following driver did not see the trailer. Tail light modulators will help in this case, keep you eyes on the car behind and always give yourself an out.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:52 AM
HOGinit
Cruiser

As to the question of tire pressure. The problem with putting recommended tire pressure over about 20 lbs with a light load is that the tires will wear in the center of the tire. Use water or chalk to measure the foot print of the tire and make sure that the tire pressure is sufficient to hold the sidewall but not enough to decrease the tire foot print. I usually find 18 to 20 lbs will give that result. The tire dealers will always inflate to max causing the tire to wear prematurely 1500 to 2000 miles. correct air pressure and loading should give you at least 10,000 miles on the tires, depending on heat and loading. The exception may be Bushtec with the narrow tires I am not sure what tire pressure that John recommends in his trailers but follow his advice he knows what he is talking about.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:00 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I pull a Bushtec with the 360 degree swivel hitch, you can scrape the boards all you want in the twisties and not worry about the trailer. Down hill, and stopping are the main areas were you have to be careful. The suspension on a Bushtec is very different than most trailers it has an air-shock system that you inflate based on how much weight you are carrying. A Bushtec will never bounce no matter how big of a bump you go over and the wheels on them are bike type wheels so you don't have to worry about the heat build up you get with a small 8 or 12 inch trailer wheel spinning at a hundred miles an hour. The trailer I have has an empty weight of about 135 lbs, I've had it packed to well over 300 without any problems. As mentioned above you have to remember its behind you when you pull into a gas station, and try not get into a situation where you have to backup. I'm sure you would be in big trouble if you got into an emergency situation and got the bike sideways, but I tend to ride just a bit more conservative when I'm pulling the trailer and have pulled it thousands of miles without any problems.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:16 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

ORIGINAL: jbhawley

[ol][*]The obvious...dont overload it with weight[*]Keep the tongue weight to less than 25#. Get a spring scale (fish Scale) and once you get the trailer loaded just pick up the front (tongue) of the trailer with the spring scale and make sure it is less than 25#...if not reload to get more weight towards the rear of the trailer.[*]About 20-25# of air is enought in the trailer tires. The trailer will pull much better and will not bounce as bad. Most tires recommend 35-40# of air.....WAAAAAAYYYYYY to much. You might as well have solid rubber tires or a wagon wheel.[*]Remember the trailer is behind you. Eventually you will pull it enought to even forget it is there...especially at the gas pumps..the steel post that protect the gas pumps are screaming to casue issues...[*]Pulling a trailer will decrease your lean limits by (estimate) 20%...no more scrubbing the floorboards on turns. However, i pulled mine all across the Blue Ridge pky and area last summer with no issues...even rode the dragon (deals gap) pulling the trailer..no problem. Oh yea...there are many more road in the NC mountains that are better/more fun to ride than the dragon...it is overrated..IMHO. Try the road from the parkway to the blue ridge motorcycle campground with a dump truck in the rear while meeting a semi....pucker factor 100%.[*]It will, just like a auto trailer, take longer to stop and start. Allow extra room for stopping...especially when loaded.[/ol]
Just a few tidbits of common sense that I think are worth noting.

the only thing i do different than jbh is keep my tongue weight between 18 and 20 lbs. any more than that and the steering goes away, at least on my bike it does. when you get the weight how you want it take a picture of how the trailer is loaded,put the picture inside a zip lock bag and put it inside of the trailer. you are going to unload it at some point and you will need to reload it the same way it was.

Quick Reply: Pulling Trailer