Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 09:46 AM
GMVETTE
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pulling Trailer

The only thing I can add is this. If for some reason the trailer is not full make sure the items in it can not shift aroundchanging thetongue weight.Taking off fast or hard cornering can move things to the rear of the box.As prevously mentioned 20 to 25 lbs is good, tongue weight under 10lbs or so can produce a little trailer wiggle and a lot of excitement.

Gary

Old 01-26-2008, 04:19 PM
stu07hd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to give another pointabout the tire pressure issue. I am an LEO and responded to a crash last year on an interstate. It was raining heavy and a wing pulling a trailer had crashed. The rider and passenger werent hurt badly and told me that his trailer tires hydroplaned, the trailer started swaying back and forth until he couldn't get it back and went off into the median. He suspected that he had under-inflated his trailer tires that contributed to the hydroplaning that started his whole mess. I'm not sure if he was correct or not, but maybe he was. Just wanted to put my .02 in.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:39 PM
clap
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am sorry but I disagree with one of the above post (keep tongue wt. below 25#) . I have pulled for a couple years and I have found that with my piggy Backer if I go much less than 35# it will sway alot. But depending on the wt. you are hauling I would not go any less than 25# ever My advice is to do alot of testing with wt.The first pull I ever did was the worst 500 miles I ever did. To light on the tongue and the trailer would sway and push me into the other lanes in a turn. Part of the problem was over load also. So keep that inmind
Clap

Old 01-26-2008, 04:52 PM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

I have been towing a Bushtec for 2 summers now and have had no problems at all. Of course I can't back it up but that is me not the trailer! We came home from VA to CT 600+ miles in the rain all the way and it was never a problem. The only thing you have to bewatch isgas stations, forget it is there when pulling into the pump!

Old 01-26-2008, 05:15 PM
MDodson
Road Master

If you haul a cooler put baffles in it to keep it from sloshing around Which can cause swaying

Old 01-26-2008, 05:26 PM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[:@] Ice never melted off the roads again today! Supposedly a warm front moving in tonight with 50 degree high tomorrow. Hopefully will be able to take a test run.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:15 PM
Tree Man
Cruiser

Years ago I said if I had to pull a trailer behind my bike the wife would just have to sit her *** at home. Lesson learned, sometimes you have to eat your words. Some years ago I was riding behind afriend pulling a Bustec trailer, we hit a curvey section and I thought he is going to slow down. Wrong! he ate the curves up. Fast forward some years. In 04 we made a trip from Tennessee to Nova Scotia via Bar Harbor, Maine. The trip lasted 16 days. We had the UC packed to the hilt plus a pack on top of the tour pack. Everyday we had to unpack our **** and then pack it back the next morning. That winter I ordered a Bushtec trailer and life has been much easier.
If you adjust the air suspension correctly you will not feel any shock from bumps hit by the trailer.
The main thing is to allow more distance to stop. And to aviod panic stops. You notice the trailer is behind you when you stop.
As someone else said a trailer will lend to over pack-alot-itus. The old saying 'if Momma ain't happyno one is happy' is true. The trailer keeps Momma happy.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:31 PM
HarleyForeverFLHX
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been wanting to pull a trailer for a while now. We love to go to rallies. The problem is , we don't have enough room to put everything. I bought a new coleman tent that was smaller. And downsized other things , but I still find I don't have enough room. I would really like to get a trailer but I am worried about the safety issues. I ‘ve heard the stopping time is 20 % more than without. So your two up and with a trailer. Is this not asking for it in a emergency situation ? Just asking. And I don't believe for a second that hat guy had His Ultra Classic sideways on the road and saved it. No way. Second, If my Harley was sideways, I would of let it go already. I've found that I do most of my traveling on the highway. It's much safer there. The rules kinda change a little. I try to stay out of town as much as possible.
I would love to have a small quality trailer. I really wouldn't want to pull anything like a bushtec. Those trailers are to big in my opinion. There wonderful trailers, just to big. Anyone got any ideas on small trailers.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:59 PM
steadyflow
Advanced

this some real good info, im planning to buy a trailer real soon, iv pulled a trailer 1.4 million miles so far so it shouldnt be a problem( truck driver)

Old 01-26-2008, 09:18 PM
bgrasn
Intermediate

Make sure you have a swivel hitch and don't use the rear brake too much when coming down a mountain when the outside air temp is above 100 degrees................figure out the rest.

Quick Reply: Pulling Trailer