Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 08:31 AM
billhd1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pulling Trailer

I have pulled trailers for at lease 25000 miles already--(OK I am a retired Tractor Trailer Operator) if you use your head you should be in great shape. Stopping, turning,backing up all has to do with practice. Ride your bike like you normally would and do not be nervous. Trailer tire inflation is a matter of opinion--I keep mine at the recommended PSI. Equalize your load and watch the tongue weight as this will pull your rear down--not good. I live in NY and have towed trailers behing me to the coast two times already and that is without mentioning how many time up north and down south. Use your head and you will be alright.---Remember the ladst words of a moron---WATCH THIS---LOL----- Good Luck

Old 01-25-2008, 09:22 AM
HEYENG
Cruiser

I have pulled 2 different trailers 1 with my Honda Sahow and now 1 with my Ultra Classic they pull with no problem just remember the stopping you have an extra couple hundred pounds pushing you i have pulled both around 17000 miles with only 1 issue i had the bolt back out of the ball in North Carolina last year on the way home from the Wall luckly i was at astop light when started out from the light the trailer became disconnected and dragged behind me until i got it off the side of the road now i am not sure about having the chains hooked up anymore i had just finished 2000 miles must of witch was in the twisties in the mountains i guess the man upstairs was watching out for me that trip

ENJOY

Old 01-25-2008, 10:04 AM
jbhawley
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, I just lower the trailer tire air pressure to keep it from bouncing so much.

One additional thing I do...even on a auto/truck pulled trailer:
Cross the safety chains under the tongue.
This will allow the chains to hold up the tongue if the trailer comes unhitched as stated in the previous post by HEYENG. Usually there is plenty of chain and you will have no problems with the chains being too short on turns.
Basically, take the chain from the left side of the tongue and connect it to the right side of the hitch...reverse for the other chain.
Now if you have the Kury style hitch adapter...this will not work as the safety chains hook on the left side and the trailer lights plug into the right side. See pic. I use this just to clean up the hitch area...

[IMG]local://upfiles/2462/2DD2EB10FD244E528F33B00B675E056B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-25-2008, 02:58 PM
rambler43
Cruiser

I have pulled a trailer for about 10 years now and i agree with all that say lower the air pressure to keep the trailer from bouncing (they act more like shocks with lower pressure).
As for the chains,NOT GOOD, i have seen what a bike traveling 60 mph and the trailer comes loose for some reason,the trailer jerks you all over the highway, NOT GOOD, I think the things in the trailer and also the trailer are replaceable so let it land wherever and you can stop and gather things up without someone having to gather you up.
Some states require safth chains,(which mine does), so go to the hardware store and buy the small decorative PLASTIC chains and paint them to match your trailer or whatever color and use them, this is what i did.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:19 PM
Bldr1000
Cruiser

One other tidbit of information if I may add it....If you carry a cooler in your trailer and you put things like eggs, BBQ sauce and other items that can break easily, you will wind up with a milkshake when you arrive at your location. I pulled my trailer back from the beach with 3 or 4 eggs and some other items in the tray that fits in the cooler and it was a heck of a mess to clean up when I got home. Also, if your trailer comes with a double leaf spring you might consider removing on of the leafs so as to make it ride smother. Bldr

Old 01-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We've had sleet/freezing rain all day here today...no test ride with trailer. Supposed to be dry and 50 tomorrow. Will test it then.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Troy.R.H
Cruiser

I do not agree with the use of plastic safety chains. Safety chains are there to protect the people around you. I think if you're going to pull a trailer, you should accept the risks and responsibilities that go along with it. I do not want to be responsible for another biker or cager being injured or killed because my loose trailer flew into them. I've pulled a trailer for several years. I know the risks and accept them. Therefore, I will continue to use real saftey chains.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:47 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It's been very interesting to read about the does and don'ts of trailering behind a mototcycle.
I inherited a trailer from a friend that got it with hisGold Wing years ago, when he heardI had purchased a Road King he said come get this thing out of my garage, it's a purpose built motorcycle trailer with a pivoting tongueand after reading about trailer towing here I think it is completelyworth the effort torestore it to A-1 shape and use it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/43689/F6CD193A4EBF43B59A79F220AD14968A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-26-2008, 08:29 AM
jbhawley
Road Master

I read somewhere...maybe on this forum of instead of using one bigger cooler (ice Chest) to store everthing ....get two smaller (12 pack) type coolers. One for liquids (ice, drinks, beer, etc) and the other for food (bread, snacks, things that dont require ice or non-perishables) The ice will not melt on your bread and there maybe less mess to clean up. I havent done this yet...but probably will. I hink it is a great idea. The 2 smaller coolers will fit in the same rack that holds the big cooler.

just a thought.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:41 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice,,,,, good read, as I am thinkin in the lines of a trailer also...
But,, one thing puzzels me in this whole post???

why would you bring raw eggs to the beach????????????

Quick Reply: Pulling Trailer