Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much weight will the tour pak and saddle bags take

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 10:55 PM
jsimo7
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How much weight will the tour pak and saddle bags take

I know the weight limit for the tour pak is 25lbs and the bags are 10lb each. Do we all overload.I was overloaded a lot when we took a trip last fall. I had the bags stuffed full and the tour pak full and the T/P rack bag was stuffed Dont know how much weight was on there but I know it was way over. Iguess 40 lb in the T/P rack bag, 30 or so inside the T/P, 30 or so in each bag. Plus two adults me 250 wife 150. we did this on a 99 Ultra and it did fine. It was noticeably heavy going slow for sure, but handled fine all the way up to 85-90mph some of the freeway time. How heavy does everyone load and any problems ever

Old 01-24-2008, 11:07 PM
nomad billy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: How much weight will the tour pak and saddle bags take

I,m not sure if you can stuff enough in the bags to overload em.I brought home a set of wieghts in mine 115 pounds worth,wrapped in rags so they wouldnt rattle.They made it through that ok.I do know you can pull the bolts through a tour pack if you load it up to much,but I,m not even sure how much my road partner had in,or on it.It wasnt pretty slidin down the road and stuff flyin everywhere.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:14 PM
gregm
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure the bags & tour pak will take a lot more than the posted ratings, but my main concern is raising the center of gravity. I pack the heavier things in the saddle bags & lighter things in the tour pak. Packing equally top & bottom allows for more weight in both without really affecting theCG.
Gregm

Old 01-24-2008, 11:21 PM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got to admit, I didn't weigh in, but I seem to overload by alot. I have amazed others at times with the load that I carry. Especially how tight I pack.
here's a pic taken by killboys at the Dragons tail.
2up on an 18 day trip
All I can say is "You wouldn't believe it!!
chappy

Old 01-25-2008, 12:41 AM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

awesome pic chappy! plus all that extra weight in the rear makes wheelies soooo much easier...

Old 01-25-2008, 07:13 AM
jsimo7
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

we were loaded like that .... everything was good

Old 01-25-2008, 07:47 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used to load really heavy on my 96 Royal Star, bags full and a large bag thrown over the passenger seat and another t-bag type bag on the luggage rack. Didn't notice it much on mainly straight roads, but really felt bad if I got into any twisties. It felt about the same when I got my 02 Dyna, so the suspensions must not be that much different. Later bought and started using a Bushtec trailer, now I try to keep most of the weight in it and just pack lighter stuff in my bags on the bike. The weight in a trailer has way less effect than on the bike itself.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:02 AM
NICK56
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

IVE CRACKED A FEW (LIKE 5) OF THE OLD STYLE TOUR PACK SUPPORT RAILS (UNDER NEATH THE TOUR PACK) YOU CAN BREAK THIS PART WITHOUT KNOWING ITS BROKEN MANY TIMES. THE OLD STYLE (1999 AND OLDER) USED AN INSERT PLUGAND 4 BOLTS SCREWED INTO THE INSERT. HARLEY MADE THE INSERT SO LARGE THAT THE HOLE IS WAY TO BIG IN THE RAIL (WEAKENING THE RAIL)AND THEY SPLIT AT THE DRILLED HOLE AREA... THE NEWER MCY'S HAVE NO INSERT. HD RUNS A THINNER NUT AND BOLT THRU A SMALLER HOLE.. THIS WORKS.. NO MORE CRACKED SUPPORTS... NOW IF THEY CAN KEEP THE FAIRING MOUNTING BRACKETS AND REAR EXHAUST HEADER PIPE AND SADDLE BAG SUPOPORT BRACKET FROM CRACKING WE ARE GETTING SOMEWHERE... WAKE UP HARLEY!

Old 01-25-2008, 09:53 AM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well the manual states the max weight for both.
Plus the gross AXLE weight.

You need to add up all your weights plus you and the wife and add that to the unloaded weight of the bike on the rear axle.
That gives you gross axle well at least close as you aren't sitting exactly over the rear axle.
HD and other OEM give you this for a reason.
Mostly safety, very much over the specs and vehicle (car, truck, bike, etc) won't handle right and could lead to an accident.
Plus the parts (axle, bearings, wheels, etc) are designed to withstand only so much static and dynamic forces acting on them. Go over the specs and something is going to wear out sooner or break.

so if your combined weight is over the limit and you don't care about your life expectancy or the health quality of your life tell your wife she needs to go on a diet before she rides again.(LOL)

Old 01-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 917 Likes on 432 Posts

I haven't found the limit on my 2000 FLHTC; I've ridden the WV turnpike two up with saddle bags and trunk loaded and two sets of golf clubs across the rack on the tour pack. Handled fine.

Quick Reply: How much weight will the tour pak and saddle bags take