Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much weight will the tour pak and saddle bags take

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 10:12 AM
texan321
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How much weight will the tour pak and saddle bags take

I don't know the weight I have packed either - but I fill the saddle bags - tour Pak and a bag on top - 2 up and it seems fine. Of course I try to keep things to a minimum...

Old 01-25-2008, 12:15 PM
TC96Man
Cruiser

I' ve got an '07 SG, that I have installed the detachable King Tour Pak on. I have no problems with overloading, except when it comes to slow speed riding like you stated. My signature pic is of my wife and I fully loaded. Tour Pak has about 35-40 lbs., and each saddle bag has roughly 20-30 lbs. My wife rides an '06 VRSCD and doesn't want to put any kind of bags on her bike. Simply because it would take away from the dragster look of it. Besides like she says, " I' ll just put all of my stuff in your bags." At all times I keep my left saddle bag over the10 lb. weight limit, with tools. Being a mechanic by trade, you can never betoo over-prepairedon a trip. Just watchthe condition of your saddle bag mounts, and the sides of your bags, you should be just fine. Ride safe.

Later,

JB

Old 01-25-2008, 01:04 PM
dagnabit9
Cruiser

Two sets of golf clubs...???

Old 01-25-2008, 02:33 PM
twincam47
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

2008 Ultra
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating 1259 lbs
Vehicle Weight in Running Order851 lbs
What's left for you, momma and the gear 408 lbs

Now how much gear are you carrying?

Old 01-25-2008, 02:43 PM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: choochoo

Well the manual states the max weight for both.
Plus the gross AXLE weight.

You need to add up all your weights plus you and the wife and add that to the unloaded weight of the bike on the rear axle.
That gives you gross axle well at least close as you aren't sitting exactly over the rear axle.
HD and other OEM give you this for a reason.
Mostly safety, very much over the specs and vehicle (car, truck, bike, etc) won't handle right and could lead to an accident.
Plus the parts (axle, bearings, wheels, etc) are designed to withstand only so much static and dynamic forces acting on them. Go over the specs and something is going to wear out sooner or break.

so if your combined weight is over the limit and you don't care about your life expectancy or the health quality of your life tell your wife she needs to go on a diet before she rides again.(LOL) No way Man; You tell her, I'm Not Telling Her!! LOL

Old 01-25-2008, 02:54 PM
twincam47
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Well the manual states the max weight for both.
Plus the gross AXLE weight.

You need to add up all your weights plus you and the wife and add that to the unloaded weight of the bike on the rear axle.
That gives you gross axle well at least close as you aren't sitting exactly over the rear axle.
HD and other OEM give you this for a reason.
Mostly safety, very much over the specs and vehicle (car, truck, bike, etc) won't handle right and could lead to an accident.
Plus the parts (axle, bearings, wheels, etc) are designed to withstand only so much static and dynamic forces acting on them. Go over the specs and something is going to wear out sooner or break.

so if your combined weight is over the limit and you don't care about your life expectancy or the health quality of your life tell your wife she needs to go on a diet before she rides again.(LOL)
While there is an axle weight rating for each of the axles on the bike...the important thing here to remember is this "Gross Vehicle Weight Rating"...See Below! The listed Axle weight ratings will exceed the Gross when added up....but never in any case exceed the "Gross Vehicle Weight Rating". I assure you if you exceed the Axle Weight Rating or even equal it, then you ALSO will be exceeding the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. Dont worry about the axle rating worry about the GVWR.

2008 Ultra
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating 1259 lbs
Vehicle Weight in Running Order851 lbs
What's left for you, momma and the gear 408 lbs

Now how much gear are you carrying?

Old 01-25-2008, 02:57 PM
mllkn6
Tourer

so if your combined weight is over the limit and you don't care about your life expectancy or the health quality of your life tell your wife she needs to go on a diet before she rides again.(LOL)
choochoo,
You tell your wife she needs to go on a diet, that is the best way to not care about your own life expectancy or health. My wife would ride my bike right up my a$$ and spin it around a few times. That is not something you tell a lady, they already know they are over weight and believe me they don't want to be reminded about it either. You trying to get the man killed or something, I maybe stupid but I'm smarter than that and I'm down right scared too, to be honest.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:03 PM
TN Houndog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

Guys,
Gettin over the lumps and bruises of tellin your wife she needs to loose weight is the easy part! She will immediately turn into a none. NO sex, no cooking, no doing laundry, ETC, along with being a REAL bitch. That's the HARD part.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:26 PM
CasperHD
Advanced

We all know you can load more into those bags than they say.

I bet you could fill them with concrete and not have any problems.

Let me know when you try it.

I bought Boss Bags for my VTX. I stood on them (one foot on each) just like in the picture on their website. After that, I wasn't afraid of overloading at all. I just avoided anything that was unbalanced or so heavy it would ride funny. You could definately tell the difference in the ride from loaded bags to removing the bags. You can flick that baby around corners with no bags on.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:55 PM
redhwk44
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fully loaded, at the end of a 4800 mile trip I had the chance to run across a scale and tipped it at 1345lbs. That was the wife, me and a lot of gear. Checked my tire and shock pressure everyday. Also kept a close eye the tire tread. It was never questionable but you could almost see the tread disappearing. Had it replaced 3 weeks after returning.

Jeff

Quick Reply: How much weight will the tour pak and saddle bags take