Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Wheels...which tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 08:24 PM
Street Glider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Wheels...which tires?

I've just about got my mind set on this set of wheels for my 2006 SG:

http://*******.com/2ylgbx

I like the thicker spokes and the black finish will suit my bike well. My question is what tires should I be looking at? Avon? Metzler? I'm told that 140 is the biggest tire that will fit the stock rear end. If that's so, what size tire/wheel do I need for the rear? Is it the 18x5.5 shown here and if so, what size tire would I need? I'm also looking at the 21x3.25 for the front. I don't want anything too skinny up front. I like the way she rides now and don't want to change that too much and also don't want a skinny tire under the stock fender cuz I don't have the cash at the moment to replace that too. So... should I be looking at low profile tires front and rear?

As you can see, I need a guide to upgrade my Glide. Help a Brother out.

Thanks!

Tex

Old 01-23-2008, 08:59 PM
1atom12
Cruiser
Default RE: New Wheels...which tires?

You might want to send a message to MC Motorsports. I know others on the forum have those same wheels. MC Motorports offers them in 3.5 inch front and rear for the FL touring bikes. I don't think the 5.5 inch will fit in the rear without some modification...

Old 01-23-2008, 09:12 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

Tex - The popular sizes for a 21/18 combo on your year bike is:

Front - 21x3.5 w/ a 120-70-21 tire
Rear - 18x4.25 w/ a 150-70-18 tire

I am running those sizes on mine using Metzler ME880 tires. No fitment problem on the rear. I've heard you can go with a 150, but you might need to trim the lower belt guard. Not sure about a 160. I think you would have to completely remove the belt guard and even then it might be to tight.

The front is a hole nother issue. Some guys are able to bolt that combo on a roll. Others have had to enlarge the rear mounting holes on the fender and tilt it foward. Yet others, like me, couldn't get adequate clearance and had to remove the stock fender brackets and weld in aftermarket bracket (and repaint the fender). This seems to be different bike to bike.

Cool looking wheels though. Let us know how you end up.

Zach

Old 01-23-2008, 09:12 PM
Street Glider
Cruiser

Thanks for the info. I think you are right about the 18x3.5. I don't know what I was thinking...

Old 01-24-2008, 12:26 AM
GMONEY220
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

big Zed is ballz on with the tire sizes.I for one had the problem with my front fender too.I drilled out the rear mount holes and held down the front of the fender while snugging down the bolts.

I'm running the 150 rear metz with no problems at all!!!I had to wait an extra week for it cuz the tire had just came out a week prior.I gotthe 150 because ofdrifting problems with the 160.Which i think was caused by one being a bias-ply and the other radial tire.At highway speeds with the two different tire construction,the rear drifts a little from side to side.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:13 AM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

BZ,

Hows the ride with the bigger wheels?
ORIGINAL: Biggzed

Tex - The popular sizes for a 21/18 combo on your year bike is:

Front - 21x3.5 w/ a 120-70-21 tire
Rear - 18x4.25 w/ a 150-70-18 tire

I am running those sizes on mine using Metzler ME880 tires. No fitment problem on the rear. I've heard you can go with a 150, but you might need to trim the lower belt guard. Not sure about a 160. I think you would have to completely remove the belt guard and even then it might be to tight.

The front is a hole nother issue. Some guys are able to bolt that combo on a roll. Others have had to enlarge the rear mounting holes on the fender and tilt it foward. Yet others, like me, couldn't get adequate clearance and had to remove the stock fender brackets and weld in aftermarket bracket (and repaint the fender). This seems to be different bike to bike.

Cool looking wheels though. Let us know how you end up.

Zach

Old 01-24-2008, 09:51 AM
Street Glider
Cruiser

Thanks for the input guys. Zach, if I was looking for a new bike, I'd build one just like yours-- that's one hot ride. And if I was looking for a new wife... lol

Glad to hear that both you and Money got the Metzler 150 under your rear fender. I'd sure like to try out that setup on my bike as I'm leaning toward Metzler anyway.

I'd also like to know how the bikes rides with that setup. I've heard nothing but positive coments but would like to hear your thoughts as well. Also, did either of you lower the front end when you moved to 21". Seems like the larger wheel would change the geometry/ride a little bit and that might effect ride comfort over a long ride.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:42 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Drop the frt at least an inch

Old 01-24-2008, 05:11 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

Greg - Rides good as far as I'm concerned. A little stiffer than stock if I remember right. I honestly only put a few hundred miles on the stock wheels/tires. If we ever get a chance to meet somewhere, I'll let you take it for a ride and you can find out for yourself.

Streetglide - Thanks for the compliment, I really appreciate it. Like I said, it does ride a little stiffer, which is to be expected. Shorter sidewall will do that. I don't think it handles significantly better, but also not worse. I don't ride it like a sport bike, but it feels really solid in both the long sweepers and tighter turns taking them at a reasonable speed. I did lower the front 1". I rode it for a while at stock height also. Feels more solid at higher speed after the drop.