Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How far can you go with the warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 07:58 AM
soon to be
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: How far can you go with the warranty?

if your dealer does the work (meaning all the mods you can buy and they install) then most likely you will have a warranty.

If you buy the mods, and you install....thensomething goes wrong, it could get messy in regards to "warranty or no warranty".

I like working on my own bike....agree with Glide and the others!!!!

Old 01-23-2008, 09:35 AM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i really wouldnt worry about that. I have an 03 and i have had other dealers ask me if I was running gear drive cams. Their equipment will tell them I had a 95 inch and they can see the exhaust. No problem when I confessed to andrews. Maybe I have just been lucky. I do know that the extended warranty people are more liberal than the factory warranty folks and dont ask for parts back when the original folks sometimes do.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:38 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The Extended Service Agreement is not a "warranty," it is essentially an insurance contract underwritten by CNA Insurance, and contains much stiffer exclusions from coverage than the HD warranty--take 5-10 minutes to read it and you will understand.

Personally, because of the overlap of coverage for the first two years, and the ESA can be purchased before the expiration of the MOCO's two year warranty (under current practices), I'd pass on the ESA now and consider it again as the MOCO warranty gets closer to expiration depending on the mods to the bike at that time.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:46 AM
balcy24
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks guys for the input. For some background, I bought the extended warranty for my Wing and had to use it twice, once forfork seals and last month for a new starter (they never go bad in Hondas -- yeah right). The warranty was for a total of 7 years and cost me $450 so it was a pretty good deal for me.

I wanted the extra protection mainly for trips. Ioverhauled a Honda at age 12 so using a wrench is not the problem. Back in 2003, I watched a buddy pull his hair out (luckily he has plenty to spare)when one of his jugs sprung an oil leak 500 miles from home.He ended up renting a carto finish the trip to Virginia and then picked the bike up from the dealer at the end of the week when we were heading home. It cost him money in several ways.

The extended warranty (or service as someone pointed out)was $1199 for 3 additional years. While that seems like a bunch, I saved 2% onthe interest rate for the 5 year term of the loan. Taking that into consideration the warranty was only about $330 out of pocket and included road hazard on the tires and wheels. I guess the worst that could happen is I lose $300 so it is still pretty cheap insurance.

I was going to install the rider essential kit I bought with the bike. My dealer said that whatever they install is coveredunder the factory warranty (plus it was 50% off their labor rate) so I guess there is not much to worry about from them. The modsI am planning don't go inside the cases anyway.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:25 PM
twincam47
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: balcy24

Thanks guys for the input. For some background, I bought the extended warranty for my Wing and had to use it twice, once forfork seals and last month for a new starter (they never go bad in Hondas -- yeah right). The warranty was for a total of 7 years and cost me $450 so it was a pretty good deal for me.

I wanted the extra protection mainly for trips. Ioverhauled a Honda at age 12 so using a wrench is not the problem. Back in 2003, I watched a buddy pull his hair out (luckily he has plenty to spare)when one of his jugs sprung an oil leak 500 miles from home.He ended up renting a carto finish the trip to Virginia and then picked the bike up from the dealer at the end of the week when we were heading home. It cost him money in several ways.

The extended warranty (or service as someone pointed out)was $1199 for 3 additional years. While that seems like a bunch, I saved 2% onthe interest rate for the 5 year term of the loan. Taking that into consideration the warranty was only about $330 out of pocket and included road hazard on the tires and wheels. I guess the worst that could happen is I lose $300 so it is still pretty cheap insurance.

I was going to install the rider essential kit I bought with the bike. My dealer said that whatever they install is coveredunder the factory warranty (plus it was 50% off their labor rate) so I guess there is not much to worry about from them. The modsI am planning don't go inside the cases anyway.
All P & A installed by the dealer upon purchase of a new bike AND prior to delivery is/should be recorded by the dealer on the SWR (Sales Warranty Registration) for the MOCO. These parts warrantywill run concurrent with the warranty on the bike for the life of the warranty. This warranty registration process insures that the bikes stuff is covered under warranty wherever you are at and the genuine H-D dealer will fix it with MOCO approval...causeMOCO isgonna look at the SWR. The SWR can not be modified after the dealer submits it....so "I forgot" aint gonna work.
Any other P & A bought and installed regardless if it were you or the dealer installing the part has a 90 day warranty (NO labor). Now obviously if you install it and you break it, well that is another story or if it is electrical, these terms may not apply.
So while your HOME dealer may extend some privileges your way covering you on some warranty issues.....you may get caught out of town and find that you in fact have no warranty on those items.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:00 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That extended warranty isn't up to the dealer or Harley. It is sold to you by a forth party and you should be asking them that question. I've heard from some people they are a real pain to work with.
Also if you talk to any investment person they will all tell you an extended warranty is a complete waste of money and to not get them, after I heard that I got a refund form both Harley and Toyota and have put the money to better use.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:17 PM
twincam47
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

[

Old 01-23-2008, 02:27 PM
heywood727
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Windup08
My dealer did the Stage-1 install on my bike....no warranty issue. they will also do a stage-2 or 3 (103 or 110) upgrade with no warranty issues, but that is only if I do the Harley upgrades. If I go to an indy and do an HQ or some other build I'm sure the warranty will be out the window.
Neither of my dealer are warranting the 110's. They don't even want to do them. They also told me that a SERT would void my warranty.

EdwardK
Save your money on the extended warranty. If it's going to fail, it will do it in the first two years while still under the standard warranty. Unless your going to rack up a ton of miles, then maybe.
This is the same advice as what I was told when I bought the 02. If there's a problem, it's going to happen sooner than later. Depends on how many miles as EdwardK states.

If it gives you a piece of mind on your great bike, that's all that matters. You won't regret it. Just be sure to check on what will and will not compromise your warranty.

Have fun with the new scoot.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:49 PM
texan321
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

The Extended Service Agreement is not a "warranty," it is essentially an insurance contract underwritten by CNA Insurance, and contains much stiffer exclusions from coverage than the HD warranty--take 5-10 minutes to read it and you will understand.

Personally, because of the overlap of coverage for the first two years, and the ESA can be purchased before the expiration of the MOCO's two year warranty (under current practices), I'd pass on the ESA now and consider it again as the MOCO warranty gets closer to expiration depending on the mods to the bike at that time.

You got a warranty to read? All I got was this little card??? I wonder what's up with that?

Old 01-23-2008, 04:02 PM
HogBack
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the modification for an 08... the piece of mind is there as long as you stay with a few hours of your own dealer...but go for a ride for a few days...watch out.... Re-read,read yourwarranty....

Later

Quick Reply: How far can you go with the warranty?