Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning the bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Lord Albany
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cleaning the bike

It seems that bike cleaning methods are like backdoor orifices - everyone has one. Anyone care to share/recommend techniques and products to a newbie? Or, refer me to an appropriate thread.

Thanks.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:32 PM
jdtest
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cleaning the bike

I use HD spray cleaner regularly. I use soap and water about every month or so.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:33 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I reomove the bags and wash them seperately. Lets me get to the rear wheel too.

I also blow dry my bike with a master blaster. Can wash and dry in 1 5 minutes. Saves a lot of time wiping it down.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14366/A7C3E5772B1C4E49A8BD249C825A76A3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-21-2008, 11:35 PM
pop1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure the bike is cool then hose it off then I hit it with some s100 and a soft chamois, if the wheels are dirty I use the HD wheel cleaner. Rinse it off really good then I use the leaf blower to dry it. Last but not least I throw some wax on it. That gets rid of any streaks.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:56 PM
heywood727
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get an air compressor. Nothing big. There is no bigger pain in the a$$ than washing and wiping down the bike, just to run down the street and having water coming out of the control covers, mirrors and every nook and cranny.

I know this may sound stupid but my father did this to me 25 years ago. No armor all on the seats, pegs or grips. If your going to detail the rubber, McGuire's makes some good stuff. Just keep it off the contact surface.

Get some "Nevr-Dull" (This is how it's spelled) for the chrome and pipes.White walls that you have.... I guess SOS pads. I don't know, I don't have them.

There is a product that my Indy sells for you Lexan windshield. better than wind-ex and takes out little scratches. I'm not sure if this help or not.

Ride safe

Old 01-22-2008, 12:05 AM
BaldEagleou812
Cruiser

Use the two bucket method, One with a Conditioning Wash, Maybe one like Meguiars Gold Class, Shampoo & Conditioner, the second just clear water, Alternate between the wash and rinse buckets with every few passes using the Wool Mit,The most important part is to always rinse the Dirt from the Mit before Resoaping, Followed by a through rinsing, and if possible a thorough drying, if possible by a Blower such as the Air Force Blower,Followed by a Liberal application of any Quality Wax. The two Bucket method is important, as is a [Conditioning] Shampoo,

Old 01-22-2008, 04:13 AM
crashbike310
Cruiser

Full detail (2x a year) Rinse, wash with dawn soap and sponge, s-100 wheels engine, rinse again, clay bar,dry, buff any scratches with poorboys lazer buff, wax with Griot's paint sealer or NXT, polish with chrome polish cloth I got from HD dealer

Quick wash- wash with soap, rinse with leaf blower, quick wax with nxt or griot's paint sealer, qiuck wipe down with the chrome polish cloth

Old 01-22-2008, 05:06 AM
Grandpa56
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Let me say it before anyone else here does, I am very **** about cleaning my bike. Now that we have that cleared up, Nevr-dull is a product that I have used and recomended since before I had kids, check the sig, I now have grandkids. NEVER use Dawn or any other brand of dish soap on automotive type paint! It will strip off all wax and start to degrade the paint it's self. That might be why he uses a claybar afterwards. A clay bar takes off the top layer of paint that has dulled and leaves a layer of new paint to work with. There is only so much paint on your bike, when that is gone you will be washing primer. A good quality car wash soap and a sponge with large holes to trap the dirt is best. A rag does not give the dirt anywhere to go and just acts like fine grit sandpaper as you continue to wash. Rinse the sponge out often, that is where the second bucket of CLEAN water comes in. Wash top to botom, not front to back. The dirty water will "roll down hill" and you don't want to be washing things 3 and 4 times. Remove seat, bags, and other easily removed things before you begin. Wash these things seperately. Blow drying is best. I use an air comperssor. Again, top to bottom, not front to back. Cheap wax is never good. Expensive wax is not always good. I use Astro Shield and have for 20 years. There are other good waxes out there, just pick a good one. If it has paint on it, wax it. If it is chrome and does not have exhaust running through it, wax it. The SOS pads do work well on whitewalls as well as white letters. Use a good leather cleaner followed by a good leather conditioner on the leather. It takes me about 10 hours to clean my bike. I guess I need to take more time or learn how to do it better. She has been in 5 bike shows and has 5 second place trophys. Maybe when I get good at this she will get a first place. My bike is 29 years old and still wears all of her original paint and chrome. I think she still looks good for a middle aged lady.

I do have one other option that I sometimes use when time is more of a factor. Several quarters at the local car wash and a short 100mph blast down the interstate to dry.

Both methods are effective.

[IMG]local://upfiles/49674/EDDD2784BA02404BBCBD112FCADA95A3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-22-2008, 06:02 AM
framer
Road Captain

These sure come in handy:

Old 01-22-2008, 06:04 AM
Grandpa56
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

framer, I agree. I got the smaller version to do the spokes.

Quick Reply: Cleaning the bike