Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning the bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 06:12 AM
pkenyon1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cleaning the bike

You should check out the 'detailing' section of this website if you have not already, that is where everything gets real heavy on cleaning your bike..but a lot of great information.

Also check out ZAINO product ranges, everyone will tell you their own version of what is best, however after doing a lot of reading up I ordered from them and they really are good.

Best of luck and enjoy your new bike, key thing to remember is they are built to be ridden and they can get dirty and wet without falling apart!

Old 01-22-2008, 06:14 AM
pkenyon1
Road Captain

Oh and for your white walls I would use the HD wheel and tyre spray plus a green type NYLON scouring pad....they will be like new every time.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:22 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

As suggested above, a cold bike, a clean bucket, clean sponge, and good "automotive" soap.

My city water sometimes contains "additives" that tend to leave water marks...so, with a clean bucket and another clean sponge, I give the bike one final rinse with distilled water then blow dry.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:40 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use a lot of Cycle Care products, their bike wash is relatively foamless, but does a good job cleaning. I never use any kind of a pressure sprayer, just a gentle spray, or even just water slowly running out the end of the hose. I also got a bike "blow dryer" from Cycle Care...it has a soft rubber nozzle so if you happen to touch the bike it doesn't scratch or scuff. After blow drying I might use a soft chamious to wipe off the paint and chrome. Cycle Care leather cleaner/conditioner on all leather and rubber (except tires), Turtle Wax ICE on the paint and Mother's chrome polish on all chrome....I've always been told to NEVER put wax on anything that is "real" chrome as chrome needs to breath or it will pit. Cycle Care wax on the windshield and Cycle Care wheel and tire cleaner.

When I'm doing a good detail job I put my bike up on the lift, then have a little work chair on casters zipping round and round the bike. I use a woolie spung for washing and terri cloth towels for waxing/shining, but change towels frequently, by the time I'm done detailing the bike I've just about got a washer load of towels.

I use a bucket of warm water and fresh towels to clean the bugs off the bike after each ride. A warm wet towel drapped over the windshield for a couple minutes and the bugs will just slide off a waxed windshield....after its clean and dry I put a fresh coat of wax on as even warm water will take any wax off a Lexon windshield.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:50 AM
Thundercloud
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have whitewalls but have a friend who does, and she uses the Mr. Clean magic erasers on her whitewalls on her RK classic and they always look like new. Just a suggestion.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:59 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Wash bike when cool using s100 total cycle cleaner.Blow dry with master blaster. Use HD chrome polish on all chrome. Use HD glaze polish and buff using clean terry cloth towels.Use Novus 1 on lexal windshield and all plastic lenses and guage faces. Use all HD Products. Thereare none finer.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:22 PM
sharkeydude
Road Master

ORIGINAL: pop1

Make sure the bike is cool then hose it off then I hit it with some s100 and a soft chamois, if the wheels are dirty I use the HD wheel cleaner. Rinse it off really good then I use the leaf blower to dry it. Last but not least I throw some wax on it. That gets rid of any streaks.
I'd have to say the same as pop1, just make sure you really rinse the s100, other wise you'll get this nasty drip or run especially on your front signals.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:31 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Disassemble bike - remove windshield and bags only. Avoiding indirect light, spray down with the hose and wet thoroughly, avoiding the handlebar controls except a misting. Using a SHEEPSKIN mit, soak in a bucket containing warm water and 1.5 oz Blue Coral car wash per gallon. Wash the windshield and bags, rinse with the hose and using a yard broom (gas-powered blower) blow dry. Towel (clean) off the parts and set aside. Now, soap down the bike in sections, rinsing as you go. Save the wheels and under frame areas for last. Once thoroughly rinsed, let drip dry for a minute and get the gas blower and dry the bike off. Using clean towels, wipe the bike down. This prevents water spotting as if the water doesn't dry on the surface, it won't spot (trust me, we have America's hardest water out here). Now remove the side covers and begin waxing, with the disassembled parts first using a soft damp rag and a Zymol-quality wax product. Remove the wax using clean (ours are yellow) terry-cloth towels from the parts, turning the cloth frequently. Using a spray bottle and distilled water, spray a fine mist on the parts and buff off again to deepen the wax shine. Spray the wheels with DuPont tire-black, wipe the seat and pegs and shock bootswith cloths dampened with ArmorAll and spray the black wrinkle surfaces with S-100 (or PigSpit) cleaner. Wipe off any overspray and reattach bags, side covers and windshield. Look for any wax in crevices and remove using a Meguiar's (or other) nylon detail brush. Use NeverDull to remove any marks or blemishes on the chrome (the exhaust tip is a good spot for this). The NeverDull leaves a protectant finish behind after buffing. Stand back and complement yourself on the great job you did!

Old 01-22-2008, 01:34 PM
2008FLHP
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

once a month i hose it down, spray some green cleaner on the engine, a little car wash for the rest of it, rinse well, then ride...in between a quick wipe with a damp cloth and a lil pledge...

it's gonna get dirty again anyways!!!!

Old 01-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: 2003FLHPI

once a month i hose it down, spray some green cleaner on the engine, a little car wash for the rest of it, rinse well, then ride...in between a quick wipe with a damp cloth and a lil pledge...

it's gonna get dirty again anyways!!!!
My god, amen! I bought my bike to ride, not polish all day!

Rax

Quick Reply: Cleaning the bike