Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage door opener

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 09:22 AM
tobster
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage door opener

Has anyone ever mounted a garage door opener under their gas tank console? I soldered a speedometer reset switch to my garage door opener and then mounted the switch to the side of my console...works great until I put mount the console back on the bike with the opener under it...then quits working! take it off and it works!!! Its like the console is blocking the signal from the remote! Thanks

Old 01-21-2008, 09:32 AM
Fast Eddie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Garage door opener

I did it on my '07 Ultra Classic:

I did find it is snesitive to where you place it. On the Ultra Classic you need to get it under the plastic portion. Under the metal portion itdoes not seem to work well.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:39 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 612 Likes on 330 Posts

I just installed an opener on my Road Glide.I could not hardwire the opener because it only has a 3volt battery.SoI was able to find a momentary switch and a waterproof rubber boot,That were the same size as the toggle switch,for the accessories.I relocated the accessory switch to the right side hole.Then took apart the opener and slodered 2 wires accross the switch that makes contact.With about a 6 inch pig tail of wire was able to install it to the switch which is now located on the left side.Just tap the switch with the back of your hand and your good to go.My wife was impressed...

Old 01-21-2008, 10:06 AM
pop1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats a great idea, thanks for the photos I'm gonna try it

Old 01-21-2008, 10:17 AM
tobster
Cruiser

Thanks guys! Fast Eddie, that is exactly how I mounted mine! It just will not work whenI remount the console..works great with the console off the bike..My bike is parked directly under my garage door reciever! I thought maybe something was shorting out against the metal tank or metal console...I have insulated it as well as I can....just will not work! Thanks

Old 01-21-2008, 10:27 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try puttin' it under the saddle, by the battery area....

Old 01-21-2008, 11:52 AM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master

I have ther harley unit and I first tried to ignore the directions and put the unit in the nacelle. It would not work[:@]. When I mounted on the neck like it said to then it worked. I concluded that the signal was not making its way out to the receiver.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:09 PM
tobster
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: bikerbehaviorist

I have ther harley unit and I first tried to ignore the directions and put the unit in the nacelle. It would not work[:@]. When I mounted on the neck like it said to then it worked. I concluded that the signal was not making its way out to the receiver.

Where exactly does the Harley Instructions say to mount it? Neck?

Old 01-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Cheese Head
Tourer

I went to the hardware store, bought a small generic 3-button, keychain garage door opener for about $15, programmed it and put it in a ziplock type snack bag (about 1/4 the size of a sandwich bag) to "waterproof" it and tossed it in my fairing pouch. It is now programmed to open my garage door, my mother's garage door, and my mother-in-laws garage door. It works for me.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:09 PM
MHRider
Cruiser

Just last week, I have install the garage door opener on my SG and what I did was open the remote and add 4 wires and solding it and then close it and then bought the trip reset switch from Harley and bought fuse line with 3 amps and I tried to figure out where to installinside the fairing and after I research thru this forums and I decided to take the lighter out of fairing since I am not smoker and use those power supply to hook up with the remote and bought a "plug" to fit where the lighter was and drill a hole to put the switch on and it look so clean without any drill hole on the fairing and when you turn the ignition switch and will power the remote which is good too.

Quick Reply: Garage door opener