Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you have your GPS setup with intercom?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 08:32 AM
24guns
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you have your GPS setup with intercom?

After sifting through about a gazillion GPS threads, I was not really able to find what I am after.

I'm going to describe what I would like my GPS and intercom to do, and tell me if this is possible.
If it is, and you are doing it, please let me know how so. The wife wants to get me (a.k.a. us) a GPS for the scoot, but I need to make sure I purchase one that will work with an intercom setup in the manner I wish.

So....Ideally, here is what I am after.

We plan on getting a Bluetooth intercom setup for rider to passenger communications. Not sure on what model/brand yet.
This would not interface with the Harley setup at all. I plan on listening to the FM/CD music on the stock stereo (no bluetooth, no XM model). While cruising, I would like the GPS to provide the audbile directions/warning through my bluetooth intercom setup.

What do I need to make this happen? With the price of these units, I want to make sure I get one that works in the manner I wish.
Obviously, I'll need a GPS with bluetooth capability but I am curious as to pairing and so forth.

Oh, I also do not intend to make or receive phone calls while puttin' along. So, no issues there.

Muchos gracias for any information provided.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:07 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: How do you have your GPS setup with intercom?

ORIGINAL: 24guns

After sifting through about a gazillion GPS threads, I was not really able to find what I am after.

I'm going to describe what I would like my GPS and intercom to do, and tell me if this is possible.
If it is, and you are doing it, please let me know how so. The wife wants to get me (a.k.a. us) a GPS for the scoot, but I need to make sure I purchase one that will work with an intercom setup in the manner I wish.

So....Ideally, here is what I am after.

We plan on getting a Bluetooth intercom setup for rider to passenger communications. Not sure on what model/brand yet.
This would not interface with the Harley setup at all. I plan on listening to the FM/CD music on the stock stereo (no bluetooth, no XM model). While cruising, I would like the GPS to provide the audbile directions/warning through my bluetooth intercom setup.

What do I need to make this happen? With the price of these units, I want to make sure I get one that works in the manner I wish.
Obviously, I'll need a GPS with bluetooth capability but I am curious as to pairing and so forth.

Oh, I also do not intend to make or receive phone calls while puttin' along. So, no issues there.

Muchos gracias for any information provided.
Assuming you mean that you will listen to music over just the fairing/tour pac speakers (no headset connection) the Scalla Rider Team Set might work for you. My wife & I have that, but I don't use a radio at all on a bike.

The Scalla pairs up with the GPS & provides *the rider only* with GPS voice. It also provides an intercom connection between rider & passenger. Rider & passenger can talk at normal voice levels until the GPS needs to give information. At that point the GPS takes priority & breaks the intercom connection. The break lasts a few seconds after the command & can completely stop intercom function for a few minutes if you're in an area requiring several consecutive turn commands.

We've used the units for nearly a year & found them to be ideal. The interuptions are tollerable & necessary. The batteries are easy to recharge with two leads from a single small transformer & battery life has been more than ample to supply all the communication we could use on 10 & 12 hour days.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:13 AM
24guns
Cruiser

Excellent information, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Yes, I would still listen to music from the fairing mounted radio, not through headphones.

Sounds like this could be what we pick up then.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Why would you want to use a bluetooth system for an intercom when you already have one built into the Harley system? If you want to listen to your CDs they can be copied onto an SD memory card and played thru the MP3 player in the GPS unit. That way you can store up to 4 MB of music to choose from instead of the single CD in the radio. The navigation prompts will pause the MP3 when they are given.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:34 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

Is it possible to connect the audio out from a GPS to the Aux input on the bike's stereo? Does this work?

Old 01-21-2008, 01:00 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Geoff

Is it possible to connect the audio out from a GPS to the Aux input on the bike's stereo? Does this work?
Yes. Then the nav prompts and the MP3 play thru the bike's stereo. The CB and intercom work normally. Only drawback is not being able to listen to both the AM/FM radio and the GPS at the same time since the radiohas to be set to the AUX mode but for me that's not a issue because I'v recorded about 20 hrs of MP3's to listen to without commercials.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:08 PM
BlkSilverado
Cruiser

What Wecroft said.... The aux input level was to quiet on mine, so I added a "Boostaroo Revolution" in line amplifier. Works great now..

Old 01-21-2008, 05:46 PM
24guns
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Wecroft

Why would you want to use a bluetooth system for an intercom when you already have one built into the Harley system? If you want to listen to your CDs they can be copied onto an SD memory card and played thru the MP3 player in the GPS unit. That way you can store up to 4 MB of music to choose from instead of the single CD in the radio. The navigation prompts will pause the MP3 when they are given.
Hmm, interesting. Never thought of it in this manner.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: BlkSilverado

What Wecroft said.... The aux input level was to quiet on mine, so I added a "Boostaroo Revolution" in line amplifier. Works great now..
If you're playing thru the aux input there should be no need for a booster as you are using the bike radio as an amplifier. Check to see if your volume levels are set as high as possible. I actually have to turn my levels down below 100%. Press "Wrench", "Volume" there you can set the nav and MP3 levels separately. Also a second volume setting by pressing - or + buttons on left of unit. Don't ask me why they have two volume controls, I don't know. One controls total volume and the other controls the ratio of sound between MP3 and Nav prompts. The only time a booster should be needed is if using earphones connected directly to the Zumo for the sound, seems like Zumo sucks there because they don't have an amplifier built in.