Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What started your HD Spirit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 07:52 AM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts
Default RE: What started your HD Spirit?

ORIGINAL: crazybastid83

Thanks for the gay thread.
Guess you missed the "let's be civil thread". ....being pretty new and all.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:02 AM
crashbike310
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Riding my cousin's full dress green 2001 RG. Me and my now wife took it out a few times and we were both hooked. Rented a 2006 RG on our honeymood in HI. Bought a 2004 RG shortly after.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:09 AM
Phurion
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Growing up with an uncle that was very close to our family, and he always rode Sporties and Dyna's.

He was the "cool uncle" that all of us wanted to be. Today he's but a shadow of the man he once was (cancer is eating him away), but he was an inspiration to me and made a major positive impact on my life while I was growing up.

Kids can always use positive role models for their heroes. He was one of mine.

I started out on Honda dirt bikes in my early teens, then a Honda street bike (that I took a nasty spill on back in '83). Bought/paid for them all by myself either shoveling horse crap while working at a cutting horse training facility, or slingin patties at a fast food joint. Took a break after that spill, but picked up riding again in 98 on a Kawi Vulcan 1500 Classic (more cost effective way to find out if riding was still in my blood). Luckily it was, so in 2000 traded it in on a Road King. Been happily on 2 wheels ever since.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:15 AM
Ultrasweet
Road Captain

Bought my 07' Ultra Classic last March. Didn't real love the bike at that time. Just was not hooked yet. One day I was riding and something happened. Some mystical thing reached up from the soul of the Harley and grabbed me. I have been hooked ever since. I am already on my second one, an 08' Road Glide. I will always have at least one Harley in my stable. T.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:43 AM
SkipB
Cruiser

For me it was how I always saw the H-D riders getting together and doing good and fun activities together. I street rode, drag raced, and road raced British and Jap bikes for over 30 years before deciding to slow down a little and get a 2008FLHX Street Glide. I went to Daytona Bike Week for 17 years and the only riders who actually get together and do things are the H-D riders. The Jap bike guys all argue and maybe race, but they don't do too many charity events, group rides, bar-b-ques, etc. I am proud to have an American bike now. My '08 is so much better than the previous H-D's I have ridden that it is a real revelation to ride and feel just how good a motorcycle this really is now!

Old 01-21-2008, 09:47 AM
AMISH OUTLAW
Road Captain

Beer,cocaine and when i was kicked out of the amish community and had to give back my horse and buggy! lol!

Old 01-21-2008, 09:53 AM
Thundercloud
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

I got hooked by riding on the back of my Dad's 1970 Sportster and then his 1976 Electraglide and I had a Yamaha YZ 80. We had a pretty nasty spill in 78 when I was 14, I had a broken collar bone and had some pretty bad road rash and my Dad broke his neck and was in a Halo device for 6 months.

His Electraglide was in pretty bad shape, but he got it fixed and sold it. He quit riding for a while and then bought a Wide Glide in 86 and still rides today. I was always a little nervous about riding after that and started a family of my own and had always wanted a Harley and wouldn't buy anything else until I could afford a Harley and got up the nerve to ride on the road.

Well just before my 40th B-day I told myself if I'm going to do it now is the time. I stopped by the same dealer that my Dad had bought all of his bikes and put a down payment on a new 2004 Fatboy and went home and told my wife and all she said was if you think your ready then go for it. I have since sold the Fatboy and bought a Road Glide and have ridden it across country a couple times and am planning on going again this summer somewhere.

I would say I am hooked for life!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-21-2008, 12:01 PM
08KING
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sittingon my Dad's Harley Servo Car when he was assigned to the traffic unit, I was in 5th grade at the time.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Lone Watie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first time I bought an accessory for my Fat Bob, which cost $HD.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:08 PM
rzbigdog
Cruiser

It started for me when I was about 9 years old.My mom had a boyfreind who rode a harley,I dont remember the model but his club members were over all the time on theirs and I can remember the sound of those drag pipes screamin down the street.So I would say the sound was it for me.Thats why I have an obsession with loud deep sounding pipes. To me, a good set of pipes is like music to the ears, the deeper the better.

Quick Reply: What started your HD Spirit?