Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERT

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 06:38 AM
wdcamp
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERT

Will installing a SERT address the problem of an 08' running hot ( too lean)? Or is it strickly for performance?

thanks for any help

Old 01-20-2008, 06:56 AM
Scootr
Road Master
Default RE: SERT

Yes. If you use the "search" function at the top of the screen and look up SERT, PCIII (power comander), fuel managment etc. you will see lots of good info.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:00 AM
framer
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: wdcamp

Will installing a SERT address the problem of an 08' running hot ( too lean)? Or is it strickly for performance?

thanks for any help
Yes, it will

Old 01-20-2008, 07:14 AM
scttgr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes if the installer /tuner does the Full tune.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:15 AM
vettedog72
Tourer

1st make sure you understand I am not an expert. The SERT is a performance enhanser. Because it canchange the air to fuel ratios and it can change the timing of the ignition it can make the motor run cooler. I guess it could make it run hoter too depending on how the changes are made. A program disk comes with the little pocket match box size black box (the SERT). The program disk has some factory programs that can be loaded to your bikes computer (the disk is put into a stand alone computer desk top or laptop and via cables connects to the SERT and the SERT connects to the bikes computer via cable). The factory settings can be improvements to your bikes performance and possibly make the motor run cooler.

My advise is to ride your bike long enough to break it in and at the 5000 mile oil change, if you are not satisfied with the performance, heat etc, have the SERT installed and a DYNO tune. If you put different pipes on, I would get a different air filter (like the Screaming eagle air filter) and have all of it installed at one time. Ask for a before and after DYNO so you can actually see the differences.

I know at least one real biker that has had his bike over 18 months and has not made any mod's to it. He likes the MPG and takes pride that his Harley has not cost him any more money for add ons.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:24 AM
Jager
Cruiser

The reason recent-vintage bikes run hot is because the MoCo has to lean them out so much to meet emission regulations. Were it not for those regulations, stock bikes would be delivered from the factory running richer (and hence cooler).

A SERT, or similar devices that allow re-mapping of the EFI, provides the capability to richen the fuel mixture - so you're basically doing what the factory would do were they allowed to.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:28 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 581 Posts

ORIGINAL: vettedog72

1st make sure you understand I am not an expert. The SERT is a performance enhanser. Because it canchange the air to fuel ratios and it can change the timing of the ignition it can make the motor run cooler. I guess it could make it run hoter too depending on how the changes are made. A program disk comes with the little pocket match box size black box (the SERT). The program disk has some factory programs that can be loaded to your bikes computer (the disk is put into a stand alone computer desk top or laptop and via cables connects to the SERT and the SERT connects to the bikes computer via cable). The factory settings can be improvements to your bikes performance and possibly make the motor run cooler.

My advise is to ride your bike long enough to break it in and at the 5000 mile oil change, if you are not satisfied with the performance, heat etc, have the SERT installed and a DYNO tune. If you put different pipes on, I would get a different air filter (like the Screaming eagle air filter) and have all of it installed at one time. Ask for a before and after DYNO so you can actually see the differences.

I know at least one real biker that has had his bike over 18 months and has not made any mod's to it. He likes the MPG and takes pride that his Harley has not cost him any more money for add ons.

Did he say 'REAL BIKER"?[:-]

Old 01-20-2008, 09:29 AM
sldavis
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Duracell

ORIGINAL: vettedog72

[sm=popcorn.gif]
Did he say 'REAL BIKER"?[:-]
As opposed to "make believe" biker

Old 01-20-2008, 11:51 AM
pop1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

here we go again. Who we will the first one to post themselves on their bike with snow on the ground now.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:12 PM
BillinNY
Tourer

LMAO[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Quick Reply: SERT