Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERT

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 02:32 PM
Troy.R.H
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SERT

ORIGINAL: vettedog72

I know at least one real biker that has had his bike over 18 months and has not made any mod's to it. He likes the MPG and takes pride that his Harley has not cost him any more money for add ons.
That's sacrilegious! Every "real biker" knows you MUST spend extra money on mods and add ons!

The SERT can be set up to richen the air/fuel ratio, thereby making the motor run cooler. This is usually used in combination with new exhaust and air cleaner.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:34 PM
scttgr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1st make sure you understand I am not an expert. The SERT is a performance enhanser. Because it canchange the air to fuel ratios and it can change the timing of the ignition it can make the motor run cooler. I guess it could make it run hoter too depending on how the changes are made. A program disk comes with the little pocket match box size black box (the SERT). The program disk has some factory programs that can be loaded to your bikes computer (the disk is put into a stand alone computer desk top or laptop and via cables connects to the SERT and the SERT connects to the bikes computer via cable). The factory settings can be improvements to your bikes performance and possibly make the motor run cooler.

My advise is to ride your bike long enough to break it in and at the 5000 mile oil change, if you are not satisfied with the performance, heat etc, have the SERT installed and a DYNO tune. If you put different pipes on, I would get a different air filter (like the Screaming eagle air filter) and have all of it installed at one time. Ask for a before and after DYNO so you can actually see the differences.

I know at least one real biker that has had his bike over 18 months and has not made any mod's to it. He likes the MPG and takes pride that his Harley has not cost him any more money for add ons.
It is my understanding that the MOCO has changed the SERT and packaging to no longer "INCLUDE" a programming disc. Our shop normally does show both the pre mod run and the after mod performance enhanced run, and like to point out the changes to the customer. As for the disc with the preprogrammed maps, they are no better thn the downloads, and only get the bike close, but almost all require extra tweaking in the 10-13 different tables. It is about optimizing the performance of the motor in all areas...As for breaking the bike in...not a bad idea, I like the K&N Air filter set up over the SE....Like others have stated what is a "real" biker...especially if he has done NO mods???? I guess that is why they make them in all different sizes and colors . As for me, I seem to "modify" or personalize anything I ride or drive...so much so that the wife no longer even tries to undrstand or question why.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:09 PM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior

[quote]ORIGINAL: scttgr8

It is my understanding that the MOCO has changed the SERT and packaging to no longer "INCLUDE" a programming disc.
Fellow Hoosier... please help me understand this.

I'm dense.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:22 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

The latest SERT is 32107-01L which I know includes the CD, which also can be bought separately. That is 32117-01N

Old 01-20-2008, 08:01 PM
vettedog72
Tourer

MySERT install was on an '07 RK and it was done in October or November of 2007. It had a disk dated 2007in the package but no cables to connect the SERT to the bike or cables to connect the SERT to the laptop/desktop computer.

The disk is the computerized program and software for the SERT. I did not know that the disk was discontinued.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:56 AM
wdcamp
Advanced

Thanks for all the info, just what I was looking for. Get my bike in the next couple weeks. Feel a little more at ease going with the HD (SERT) when the bike is under warranty. Probably be just as happy with the PC3 or Tmax etc. except for the warranty issue.
Would it be reasonable to do the exaust, intake and sert, without the dyno and see how it performs. The dyno up here (Canada) is about 500 bucks.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:13 AM
twincam47
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: scttgr8

1st make sure you understand I am not an expert. The SERT is a performance enhanser. Because it canchange the air to fuel ratios and it can change the timing of the ignition it can make the motor run cooler. I guess it could make it run hoter too depending on how the changes are made. A program disk comes with the little pocket match box size black box (the SERT). The program disk has some factory programs that can be loaded to your bikes computer (the disk is put into a stand alone computer desk top or laptop and via cables connects to the SERT and the SERT connects to the bikes computer via cable). The factory settings can be improvements to your bikes performance and possibly make the motor run cooler.

My advise is to ride your bike long enough to break it in and at the 5000 mile oil change, if you are not satisfied with the performance, heat etc, have the SERT installed and a DYNO tune. If you put different pipes on, I would get a different air filter (like the Screaming eagle air filter) and have all of it installed at one time. Ask for a before and after DYNO so you can actually see the differences.

It is my understanding that the MOCO has changed the SERT and packaging to no longer "INCLUDE" a programming disc. Our shop normally does show both the pre mod run and the after mod performance enhanced run, and like to point out the changes to the customer. As for the disc with the preprogrammed maps, they are no better thn the downloads, and only get the bike close, but almost all require extra tweaking in the 10-13 different tables. It is about optimizing the performance of the motor in all areas...As for breaking the bike in...not a bad idea, I like the K&N Air filter set up over the SE....Like others have stated what is a "real" biker...especially if he has done NO mods???? I guess that is why they make them in all different sizes and colors . As for me, I seem to "modify" or personalize anything I ride or drive...so much so that the wife no longer even tries to undrstand or question why.
Look like that is right....the new SERT will no longer contain the CD...just the interface....
The price has been reduced to 399.95 MSRP and the cd should be available separately at 19.95 MSRP.....
New SERT Part # 32107-01L
CDPart # 32117-01N

Old 01-21-2008, 09:35 AM
SkipB
Cruiser

Be careful on those SERT part numbers. They must also match the year of the bike, For instance, my 2008 FLHX was #32108-06. Came complete with everything the dealer needed to dyno tune after installing SE air cleaner and SE touring mufflers on a new bike. Now I have the disk and SERT for my bike with the ability to go back to stock at any time or to modify and re-map however required. I do feel it is preferrable to use the factory SERT with the original Delphi EFI. Also detects bad sensors, etc. Great diagnostic and tuning tool. There are good cheaper ones but you won't get all the SERT abilities in one package.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:44 AM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior

I'm looking at my receipt for purchasing my SERT right now.

SERT Part number 32107-01L and it came with a CD. There were no extra charges for a CD.

The cable (sold separately and not really needed unless you plan to hook up to your PC and do some changes) is part number 32108-06.

Again, I'm looking at the work order as I type this. Could they (HD) have changed this since November?

Old 01-21-2008, 12:15 PM
twincam47
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: SkipB

Be careful on those SERT part numbers. They must also match the year of the bike, For instance, my 2008 FLHX was #32108-06. Came complete with everything the dealer needed to dyno tune after installing SE air cleaner and SE touring mufflers on a new bike. Now I have the disk and SERT for my bike with the ability to go back to stock at any time or to modify and re-map however required. I do feel it is preferrable to use the factory SERT with the original Delphi EFI. Also detects bad sensors, etc. Great diagnostic and tuning tool. There are good cheaper ones but you won't get all the SERT abilities in one package.
32108-06 are the cables

Quick Reply: SERT