Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCIII vs Thundermax

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 08:55 PM
MDodson
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCIII vs Thundermax

I have a 07 EGC with a PCIII and was wanting to know if the powerwould be better with the Thundermax. Is the thundermax really better than the PCIII. Do I have to have the autotune to make it alot better than the PCIII. Also can it be removed without the dealer knowing it was there. Thanks for the help MDodson

Old 01-19-2008, 09:12 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: PCIII vs Thundermax

I went from having a PCIII for 2 years on my bike to the DTT TCFI Wego IId auto-tune EFI system...............and my bike has never run better. After wasting about $800 on useless dyno tuning and still not having it run right, I went for the DTT system.....with no regrets. Install the basemap and let the system tune itself to your bike............can't be beat.

Steve

Old 01-19-2008, 09:41 PM
MDodson
Road Master

Is the DTT a plug and play kit also? The OL will never like close to 9 billsat one time. I could maybe see thefirst 5 and then the other 4. Is one better than the other. I have not check into the wide band for the PCIII yet. It is a hard choice to make with all the options. I did see that the Thundermax had a3 year warranty.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:19 PM
mllkn6
Tourer

Tmax is super, don't know about the DTT or PCIII. My tmax makes my bike jump now, world of difference. If you look around and take your time you can find them on Ebay for between $600 & 700. Got mine for $599 & free shipping with Auto Tune. If you need to go back to the dealer just exchange the Tmax for the original ECM no problem at all, but you do need the 02 sensors for the Tmax.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:01 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: MDodson

Is the DTT a plug and play kit also? The OL will never like close to 9 billsat one time. I could maybe see thefirst 5 and then the other 4. Is one better than the other. I have not check into the wide band for the PCIII yet. It is a hard choice to make with all the options. I did see that the Thundermax had a3 year warranty.
Yes, the DTT is a plug and play unit. It replaces the stock ecm with it's own ecm and also uses an o2 sensor in each headpipe. It uses a USB connection to your laptop or computer for easy adjustments and updating.

I'm not too familiar with the T-Max, I have installed 2 of them and got them both up and running for people..........but the DTT still gets my vote for adjustability and user friendlyness.

This past summer there were quite a few posts about the T-max dying on people, they would have to send their units back to Zippers for a repair or replacement, adn that means your bike isn't moving until you get it back. I haven't heard of anyone having any problems with the DTT system, and I haven't had any at all.

The T-max is available for just under $700 online, and the DTT is just over $700 online...............that is the last time I looked around at them. And you really never have to pay for a dyno-tune again which normally runs $300-$500. You can still put it on a dyno for a couple of quick runs to see how it's working, but it's not required.

Steve

Old 01-20-2008, 09:48 AM
bob2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had both and you can't go wrong with the TMAX,I hated to get my bike dyno tuned,cost plus beating the crap out of the drivetrain. My bike ran pretty good with the PCIIIbut I wasn't done trying different mufflers and headers so the TMAX makes sense and now I'm going to a 107 and the new map is allready loaded in,a closed loop system is the only way to go IMO.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:58 AM
rick180
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The map you loaded in for the 107, have you tried it yet? I am interested cause I will be needing a new map when I go to a HQ 103.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:23 AM
61panhead
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought my Tmax from Bart (Shooter 64 on this forum) for $600+

I was intimidated by installing Tmax as I had no previous experience with ECM.
I installed it on Christmas day by myself with no issues.
The bike fired right up at the first touch of the starter button and it's been running like a scalded dog ever since. I'd do it all over again.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:00 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: MDodson

I have a 07 EGC with a PCIII and was wanting to know if the powerwould be better with the Thundermax. Is the thundermax really better than the PCIII. Do I have to have the autotune to make it alot better than the PCIII. Also can it be removed without the dealer knowing it was there. Thanks for the help MDodson
First, there is no PCIII wide-band EFI controller. You may be thinking about the Wide-band Commander, which is a data logging device, not an EFI controller.

Second, if you already have the PCIII I would keep it. It will allow you plenty of adjustability of A/F and ignition advance if tuned properly. What map are you using and from where did it originate? If you have a Fuel Moto map you likely won't do better. Remember that all of these controllers (except Fuelpak) do basically the same thing, which is to regulate A/F and ignition timing, and what sets the DTT and T'max AT apart is their wide-band closed-loop functionality. What most people don't realize is that the T'max will not auto-tune with an infinite scope. IOW, you must get the base map very close or the auto-tune function won't be able to adjust fully. Thus, if you make major adjustments, like changing cams, you likely will need to either download another base map that's very close to ideal from the T'max or other site, or do a dyno tune to establish another starting point.

Next, contrary to popular understanding, the PCIII does adjust to air temperature, humidity, and barametric pressure using sensors already on the bike. Thus, once you get a close map you will achieve adjustability for most any condition. Open-loop is not an inferior method of regulating A/F, but has fallen out of favor because manufacturers must meet mandated emissions standards, and this is the best or only way for them to do it. HD's narrow-band system regulates only 0-50% TP and below 2850 RPM's, so anything outside these parameters forces the EFI into open-loop mode. As I understand it, the T'max regulates across the board, which is a better system, but it is not categorically better than an open-loop system if that system is tuned properly. If you received your map from Fuel Moto or other vendor who performs dyno tunes on hundreds of bikes every year, you probably are about as close as you can get to the ideal setup already.

I have the PCIII and have been tweaking it for about a year now, mostly for better gas mileage, and I still think it is the best bang-for-the-buck from among the available EFI controllers on the market. If I had to start from scratch again I'd probably do the same thing, which is to buy a PCIII from Fuel Moto. Just my 2ยข.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:26 AM
MDodson
Road Master

Thanks for all the info. I all ready have a PCIII. I was wanting something that I would not be stuck have to get dynos done or call someone and waiting for some one to tell me what map I need for a new cam or different exhaust.

Quick Reply: PCIII vs Thundermax