Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCIII vs Thundermax

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 11:28 AM
MDodson
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PCIII vs Thundermax

I would like to add a small nitrous kit, supercharger or turbo.

Old 01-20-2008, 11:47 AM
bob2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

rick 180
The map I loaded was a 103 map with the timing curve from a 107 map,I have put over 100 miles on it with the 96 and it works very nice,43 MPG first fillup.

ICLICK HELLO,first let me sayI'm no expert with the TMAX or PCIII,according to pete at zippers thebase maps don't have to be real close,my mild cams,tru duals ,air filter and mufflers really didn't matter in choosing a map,engine size and throttle body size are the biggest factors in choosing a map. Installing a new map is as easy as 1-2-3 if you have to. What I really like with the TMAX is when I change the A/F ratio its precise and I know what it will be,with the PCIII your guessing unless you have it on a dyno,I think you would love the TMAX.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:24 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: bob2002

ICLICK HELLO,first let me sayI'm no expert with the TMAX or PCIII,according to pete at zippers thebase maps don't have to be real close,my mild cams,tru duals ,air filter and mufflers really didn't matter in choosing a map,engine size and throttle body size are the biggest factors in choosing a map. Installing a new map is as easy as 1-2-3 if you have to. What I really like with the TMAX is when I change the A/F ratio its precise and I know what it will be,with the PCIII your guessing unless you have it on a dyno,I think you would love the TMAX.
I was basing my comments about adjustability on a FAQ I saw on the T'max site several months ago. I'm not sure it's still there, however. It basically addressed a question about how far the unit could adjust from anything other than a very close map. The answer was that it should be very close and if not a dyno tune should be performed first to establish a good base map. If that's necessary it makes the unit even more expensive. There is also at least one thread on this subject somewhere, perhaps on the ECM/ignition forum.

With the PCIII you're not guessing if you have a good base map created on an identical bike. It's true that perhaps a T'Max may be able to squeeze out that extra 1/10 HP, and even that's debatable, but that level of precision is not high on my agenda. Price and tweakability, however, are high--and at <$300 the PCIII is a good buy, IMO. That doesn't take away from the T'Max AT, but at $700 or more I think you'd really want or need that extra modicum of adjustability, if indeed it exists in any practical context. I think both are good systems and will work very well when applied properly. If it weren't for outfits like Fuel Moto, who provide accurate PCIII maps for hundreds of bike/hardware combos, I might acceed that the T'Max is the best of the breed for some people. As it is, it's one good option from among several, and the buyer will have to decided if the extra $400-500 is worth it.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:38 PM
martin1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am guessing that not a lot of T-Max owners are getting their bikes dynoed. But some that have are reporting that the AFR is far from consistant. I have seen a couple of dyno charts where the T-Max AFR chart looked like a sine wave. Now, there may have been an underlying problem with the bike that casued this. I dont know. I am not bashing the T-Max and have never owned one. But I would look into this before I spent that much money on one. JMO.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:47 PM
bob2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just for the hell of it one time I tried a13.5AFRin the overide mode andlogged it after letting it tune for about 40 miles and it was just about dead on,I had my bike on the dyno four times but it never worked this well not that it ran bad this just works better. I was tired of paying for what the TMAX will do better everytime by itself.If your going to play with your bike the TMAX will pay for itself in no time mine has.I spentmore with the PCIII then I did with the TMAX.