Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michigan to Yellowstone and back how long?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 08:10 AM
Big Tom
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michigan to Yellowstone and back how long?

Me and a buddy were talking about taking a trip out to yellowstone this year and I think 2 weeks would be sufficient but he thinks we need to take 3 what do you guys think?

Old 01-19-2008, 08:20 AM
thekidnkaren
Tourer
Default RE: Michigan to Yellowstone and back how long?

Depends on How you drive and how long you plan to stay , weather etc. I would check mileage and devide it out by how many days you want to spend on the Road -how many days you want to spend sightseeing.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:55 AM
fatboylust
Road Captain

I'd figure on four-five days riding each way, which leaves six-four days to see the sites. I think that is enough to see Grand Tetons NP as well. On this schedule there will be no days off. Consider renting a cabin in West Yellowstone at Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park, (406)646-4466 as a base camp for Yellowstone.

It will blow your mind,
FBL

Old 01-19-2008, 09:03 AM
Big Tom
Advanced

Thanks for the info on the cabin much appreciated

Old 01-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Road Hawg
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Big Tom, Yellowstone and the surrounding areahas some of the most beautiful scenery God put on this earth. I would plan to spend as much time exploring the park and surroundings area as you can. If you plan to go afterMay expect crowds and make reservations, end of April is awesome although it can get cool at night. Oh ya bring a fly rod and definitely a camera.....Enjoy your trip

Old 01-19-2008, 09:21 AM
harley9607
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My husband I hauled our bikes out there last year from Indiana and it took us three days driving time to get there, we stayed on the west side.We spent a week seeing Yellowstone and the Tetons and still did not see the northern part of Yellowstone. There is a lot to see in Yellowstone, it is diffidently an amazing place

Old 01-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Chicago Spike
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

2 weeks should be enough. You won't be making many "Sights" stops before you get to about the Black Hills area in S. Dakota. Maybe you stop to see the Corn Palace, but that's about all the sights between Chicago and Black Hills.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:50 AM
07XL883L
Advanced

if i get my new street glide, im goona take a trip this summer from chicago to idaho

Old 01-19-2008, 10:00 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

Take as long as you can would be my advice. Yellowstone is an amazing place. Don't miss the northern part of the park. You also need to take day trips:

1) Go out the northeast gate of Yellowstone, through Silver Gate and Cooke City then over the Beartooth (it will blow your mind) to Red Lodge, MT. Very cool little town.

2) Go out the east gate of Yellowstone and head to Cody. There is an amazing museum dedicated to the old west there. Gun fight show in town every night and the rodeo is a blast.

3) The south gate of Yellowstone is the north gate of Grand Teton NP. You should spend some time cruising through there as well. Those mountains are very impressive. It's not a long ride to Jackson, WY from Teton. Jackson is also a cool little town, though very touristy.

Say hi to the Buffalo for me. I miss them.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:01 AM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

like above.
How you drive, how many stops you make along the way, unforeseen problems (mechanical, weather, etc).
But normally 2 weeks would be ok, if you left on friday and didn't have to be back to work till the 3rd monday.
Lot of open country to just drive through once you hit South Dakota. Assuming you will take I-90 across the south side of South Dakota and across Northern Wyoming, till it's time to hit the secondary highways.
When you get to cody, Wyoming you can go in the East Entrance to the Park.
Not far in is the Pahaska (spelling ?) Lodge. You should stop eat and see it.
Then there's always Old Faithful, prepare for at least 2 hours there, Plus numerous falls and turnouts.
then it's out the North entrance and back via Montana or out South Entrance and back (eventually) via I-80 or back way you came. Unless you want more of Wyomings secondary highways.
Heck of a good ride lots of nice scenery.

Quick Reply: Michigan to Yellowstone and back how long?