Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure & Air Temp on Police Eglide

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 12:52 AM
bdaug50
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure & Air Temp on Police Eglide

I recently purchased the oil pressure gauge and air temperature gauge from the MOCO in the box set. Got to my buddies garage where my bike is and pulled the fairing off to begin what I thought would be an easy installation. Ya. Has anyone done this installation for the Police Electra Glide (2005)? None of the connectors are there so its going to be a tougher job splicing into wiring harnesses and the like. Just curious if anyone has done this before...

Old 01-19-2008, 01:39 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: Oil Pressure & Air Temp on Police Eglide

The oil pressure gauge is very easy to do, though you will need to splice some wires and create an AMP three wire connector for the gauge, and a two wire AMP connector for the gauge's bulb (unless you want to try soldering wires to the gauge's spade terminals which I wouldn't do). These are the same three and two wire connectors that you see on the voltmeter and fuel gauges, by the way. The key wire for the oil pressure gauge is a brown w/green stripe wire in the 2A connector located on the right hand side of the inner fairing (left hand side as you face the bike)--it's the oil pressure sending unit wire. You can also see this brown/green wire at the oil pressure sending unit at the bottom front right of the frame. You can either splice the brown/green wire near, but before it enters,the 2A connectoor, or, for a better installation,simply buy the Deutsch terminal you need, attach it to a wire, insert the assembled wire in the corresponding, but presently empty no. 8 chamber in the correspondingmale connector, 2B; and, run that wire to the gauge. The orange and black wires for the gauge and gauge bulb can be spliced to the other gauge wiring.

I didn't bother with the air temp gauge, but you can pick-up power/ground (orange wire/black wire) by splicing the other gauge wiring.Don't know what other wiring is involved with the air temp guage. I installed the HD oil temp gauge instead.

Stop buy your HD store, ask the parts guy to show you the parts book for the civilian equivalent of your police model, note the part numbers for the AMP sockets and wire terminals, then get the PN for the terminal to use if you want the cleaner installation or just splice away.

Lastly, do yourself a big, big favor and buy the factory Service Manuals and get friendly with the parts counter guys or buy the parts book as well.

I installed my oil pressure gauge a couple of years ago on my '04 FLHTPI and it worked perfectly as does itsspun aluminum replacement--my old black face gauge is now providing good service on my buddy's '06 FLHTPI which I wired as described above--same brown/green oil pressure sending unit wire by the way.

The following users liked this post:
MARKUS702 (07-02-2022)
Old 01-19-2008, 02:52 AM
bdaug50
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I friggin love this board. Guys like yourself make idiots like me able to do things that we shouldn't be able to do. I do plan on getting the appropriate connectors, good bad or ugly, I'm a bit obsessive compulsive so if I do it without the connectors, I'll be thinking about why I didn't use the connectors every time I get on the scoot. Thank you for your detailed instructions as opposed to the HD ones which generally are close to Step 1: Put the part on the bike Step 2one.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:44 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

My civilian and police model service manuals have gotten a helluva lot of use over the past two years--they look like a copy of Hustler magazine at a boys camp. My friend has an '06 FLHTC that he has done a fair amount of work on and his SM is pristine by comparison--point being if you plan to do much modifying to a police model EG, chances are good the civilian and police model SM's will get a lot of useage.

The manuals have excellent wiring diagrams, so the brown/green oil sending unit wire is easily traced, for example. And the Appendix has great instructions on the various connectors and how to put them together--essential information, also.

Good luck with your project.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:43 AM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep they don't have the accessories overlay (ultra) harness the civilians do.
But you can tap into the orange or orange white stripe(forget the exact color) accessory wire to power the new gauges. This should have power whenn ignition is in ON or Accessoy position.

The white air temp sensor module supplies the ground for the gauge and the oil temp sender supplies the ground for the new oil temp gauge.

Old 07-02-2022, 06:58 PM
MARKUS702
Stage II
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thx,much---i searched for the bn/gn wire in my fairing loom till i went color blind,,,,thx again,,,my 02 FLHTPI has S&S motor work done,,runs like a scalded dog......ride safe with JESUS

Old 07-02-2022, 09:19 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by MARKUS702
thx,much---i searched for the bn/gn wire in my fairing loom till i went color blind,,,,thx again,,,my 02 FLHTPI has S&S motor work done,,runs like a scalded dog......ride safe with JESUS
14 year old thread, w0oT! Jesus rides? Seems risky...

Old 07-02-2022, 10:13 PM
Sandwiz
Club Member
Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

why not? is riding a sin?
NOT in my book and,

I'm pretty darn sure NOT in the Fathers book either!