Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need more power!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 03:19 PM
flyinhood
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need more power!

Howdy guys. New guy wanting to tap into your knowledge for more power. Bought an 07 Road Glide with the 103 kit completed by the dealer. Other than that the bike is stock. Dyno says 78.59 HP and 97.79 lb / ft. By the way those numbers come from my home of over 5,280 ft elevation. We do enough riding through the rockies that any upgrades to the engine will be well worth it. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hood

Old 01-18-2008, 03:31 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: Need more power!

I've been on Harley's over thirty years,I don't want to sound like an ***,but A Harley is made for comfortable cruising,if ya want gobs of torque get something made for it,the more you do to your Hog the less reliable it becomes jmho

Old 01-18-2008, 03:44 PM
flyinhood
Novice

Completely understand. I enjoy just crusin though town too…. but with living in Colorado and sometimes riding in some pretty high elevations throughout the Rockies I would like to have some more HP / TQ. Hood

Old 01-18-2008, 04:06 PM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Harley's upgrades are nice and conform 100% to the bike but for pure power you have to go with an aftermarket kit like Edlebrock orZippers or S&S, etc.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:28 PM
flyinhood
Novice

Thanks. I have been trying to read up as much as possible in all the mags. But I am having trouble seeing if there is a superior gain from one manufacturer over another. Are most of the allegiances mainly manufacturer driven. For instance Dodge v Ford v Chevy.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:35 PM
martin1
Cruiser

You are making good, reliable power already. It is easy to get caught up in chasing hp numbers. After awhile you start adding up the receipts and its like, what the hell have I done. Been thereand done thatseveral times. Since you asked for advice - mine is to just enjoy your bike the way it is. Ride it instead of screwing around with it all the time. Took meseveral years to learn this, guess Im a slow learner.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:40 PM
flyinhood
Novice

Thanks Martin,

I would at least like to change out the exhaust. I am not so much concerned with the sound as again the power gain. I keep reading about true duels and 2 into ones. Could someone explain the main advantages of each. Thanx

Old 01-18-2008, 04:50 PM
rick180
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.head-quarters.com/ This, IMHO is the way to go if you want more.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:01 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

If you really want to find out about toque,test ride a Boss Hoss,mine has 410 torque,unreal on two wheels,but I will never get rid of my Harley,just too dang good for all the other stuff,power ain't all that it is about.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:06 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

You can head down the long and expensive path of chasing power for powers sake, and maybe never be satisfied, but iit's your bike and if you don't feel like you have enough power at almost 100 ft/lb of torque, you should go aftermarket and take your pick from about 4-5 refutable comapnies. All of the HQ customers on here that I've read about have been thriled with their bikes.
I'm a slow learner too I've chased numbers and performance, designer cams, Heads, pipes etc etc, and right now with my 08 SG 103 Stage II I don't know what my numbers are, but the bike runs great,better than any Harley I've owned, has plenty of power and VERY healthy punch with the SE 255 cams and can cruise all day at 90-100. If anyone is getting 80-85 HP andright at or a bit over 100ft/lb of torque...that's decent power for a Harley. I'm happy...for now

Quick Reply: Need more power!