Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ROTOR UPGRADE

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 12:26 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: ROTOR UPGRADE

ORIGINAL: lp

Love the picture jringo. Whats the bounty on those rims? I've been hunting me some like those... they look nice. I also like the Creation 5's...kick-a$$.

lp
Cute.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:26 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

ORIGINAL: mrsr71

Mine float and don't squeak

Will yours move back and fourth when you try to move the friction ring? Harley sells rotors that are just like that in the picture, however, looks can be deceiving without moving them back and fourth yourself. Thanks...H

Old 01-18-2008, 07:10 PM
mrsr71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 01-18-2008, 07:10 PM
mrsr71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: FastHarley

Will yours move back and fourth when you try to move the friction ring? Harley sells rotors that are just like that in the picture, however, looks can be deceiving without moving them back and fourth yourself. Thanks...H
Sorry for my ignorance but, I’m not sure what you mean by moving back and forth.” How does one accomplish this? Do I hold the brake and rock the bike back and forth?

If I was duped by H-D when I had these installed at the time of purchase, I’m going to go ballistic [:@]

Old 01-18-2008, 07:29 PM
Superglide 04
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: 07blackcherryflhx

Have you had hd flip your rotors. It is a TSB on the street glides to have them flipped. If you do the screech will be gone. Also new brake pads would work well for you as well.
I'm not so lucky, I had mine flipped worked for about a couple days and squeal was back. I'm gonna try the Z+ pads. hope it works or I'm gonna have to try floaters myself, just so much I would rather buy for my bike other than brake products right now.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:39 PM
cirhere2
Road Captain

I'm new to Harley and not a Mechanic but my brakes sqreeched and I bought a can of Brake pad cleaner for 2 dollars and the noise never came back just a thought

Old 01-18-2008, 08:51 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: FastHarley

Sorry for my ignorance but, I’m not sure what you mean by moving back and forth.” How does one accomplish this? Do I hold the brake and rock the bike back and forth?

If I was duped by H-D when I had these installed at the time of purchase, I’m going to go ballistic [:@]
mrsr71 My purpose is not to **** you off but only to ask you a question. Please go to your bike and try to move your friction ring sideways. The floating rotor moves freely, a two-piece rotor that is solidly riveted is not a floating rotor. It cannot float.

The reason for floating rotors is because when the friction ring gets hot, the characteristics of the friction ring changes. The ring may not be flat when hot, however, when it floats (with solid mounted calipers), the movement is managed by the springs/buttons. If your friction ring is solid mounted, you may feel Pulsating in the hand lever through the master cylinder as the brake fluid is pulsated through the pistons moving back and fourth.

If your rotors are good for you than what is the difference in a name? They work for you, than they are good for you!

Old 01-18-2008, 09:02 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: rome304

need some help with rotor upgrade looking for some floating rotors to get rid of stock rotors any links:the screeching has to go
rome304 Please go to my site [HERE] and try to clean out your pistons, slider pins, et al. as shown. Maybe a good cleaning may help you, you never know. You can always call me toll free (below is my signature) if you get stuck on something. I live in EST. Helping others is what it is all about. Do all of the steps including the Hi-Temp grease. You can get $0.50 packets at Auto-Zone, Pep Boys, etc. Clean as described as it cannot hurt.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:10 PM
scottma978
Cruiser

I just tried the lyndall pads first...fourty five bucks. three thousand miles later....still no noise back.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:01 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My stock HD rotors never squealed but I upgraded to HD 6-spoke floaters when the stockers warped and were replaced on warranty.

CN

[IMG]local://upfiles/1799/92B657841E6342D5B23BA73006F43F07.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: ROTOR UPGRADE