Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might be going back to the batwing

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 11:20 PM
atexn4christ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Might be going back to the batwing

I went with the HD vinyl lowers $40. Put them one when its below 50 take 'em off when its over 50. P#58502-80C

Old 01-17-2008, 11:34 PM
Tenn
Tourer
Received 126 Likes on 61 Posts

i too have a 1" over clearview with the lowers, i just got the glove boxes for the lowersand maybe some vents later this yr. help on the vents would be nice.

i have a nice pocket to ride in.

keep my nuts and hands warm....i'm riding.

TN

Old 01-18-2008, 12:16 AM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

i got the taller windshied (at 6' i can still look over)and some soft lowers for winter and have no probs riding all year up here in canada. wouldn't trade the rg handling for the batwing anyway...

Old 01-18-2008, 04:31 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The bad thing about using lowers is trying to find a set of highway pegs that would work with them. And for me. I have my highway pegs set so I can put my heels on the boards and my toes on the pegs. This is exactly how they are on my RG.

I would need to find highway peg mounts that would go around the lowers and still put the pegs in the same position. I can't ride w/o them there. I'm too used to it. Any suggestions on that???

Old 01-18-2008, 07:02 AM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Clearview shield and lowers...I have them on my RG and I luv them.

Does the batwing really keep the wind of your hands more???...I have both an RG and an Ultra so I will sayyes it does but not that much more. I also have different bars on my RGwhich helps.

The RG is far better in the wind than the batwing. If a crosswind catches the batwing it will turn the bars but not with the RG.

As for highway pegs around the lowers use these mounts http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp...ey&ci=3249
and use these mini wings http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp...ey&ci=3225
I had this set up on my Ultra and moved it right over to my RG. On my Ultra I had it set upso you could put your heel on the floorboard and your toes on the wing around the lowers. On my RG I set it very similar but I have the wings a little lower so I can stretch out a bit more.

I will never go back to a batwing!

Old 01-18-2008, 08:20 AM
bucs012
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need lowers and a taller shield for winter. You will roast! Easy to change out shield from winter to summer.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:37 AM
nwbobnw
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is interesting. I have a SG (my first bagger coming off a dyna) and find the protection on cold days combined with soft lowers to be excellent. I have never ridden a RG but have thought it might be my next bike. The fairing does seem like it might be a little too far foward. I am 5'5' and the short stock SG windshield coupled with a full face helmet does it fine for me. I had my bike only a short time before a rock hit my headlight and knocked it out. I replaced it with a Wal-Mart Halogen for about 12 bucks. I suspect the same rock would have busted the RG glass piece and cost a lot. Either way I'm sure theRG must have it's advantages.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:44 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

batwings rule

Old 01-18-2008, 09:07 AM
HDDOC
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Every time I even think of going back to a batwing all I do is ride one, then I know why I own a RG. Doc

Old 01-18-2008, 09:30 AM
Phurion
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every time I even think of going back to a sharknose all I do is ride one, then I know why I own a SG.

To each his own.

Of course that quote's all in fun as I've never actually owned a Road Glide, but I've ridden them a few times.

Quick Reply: Might be going back to the batwing