Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not thrilled about Clearview on my Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 04:43 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Not thrilled about Clearview on my Road Glide

Gilbo, it's fascinating that your chrome trim fit so well and it has me scratching my head. I checked my installation and can't find anything that I did wrong - the wellnuts are seated properly and as far as I can tell the windshield is angled about the only way possible. I read some of your previous posts on this subject and it sounds like you may have mounted the chrome trim using different fasteners that what ship with it - is that the case? I'd appreciate hearing more.

Also, the Clearview website doesn't specifically offer the recurve as an option, it seems that it's "built in" to the ordering process. Yet, your windshield has a much more significant curve at the top it than mine does. I wonder if Clearview has changed the specs on the windshields lately. If so, that probably contributes to less buffeting in your application than mine.

BTW, do you plan to offer a mount for the iPhone? Your work looks really good and I would be interested...

Old 01-16-2008, 06:09 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you didnt buy a "Re-Curve" from clearview how would it be any less buffeting than any other product out there?

On the Street Glide ordering page:

"Choose Options:

Upper Recurve
$ 0.00

5 Position Adjustable Vent
$ 48.00"

Old 01-16-2008, 06:51 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

rocknrod, the recurve option is not listed for a Road Glide. However, the windshield does have some mild recurve molded into it (difficult to see except at just the right angle), but not as pronounced as for some of the other bikes.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:37 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you may have hit on Clearview's biggest problem. There are inconsistancies in their manufacturing process. I've had "recurve" windshields on several bikes, & tried two of Clearviews. Both of the Clearview shields had a less pronounced recurve than any of the other brands I've owned.

I first tried their short shield expecting good wind control based on reports I'd read here. The 8 week delivery took over 10, & the shield didn't actually fit. It had the same installation problems you experienced, & when finally mounted it extended further back on the riders right than on the left. The bottom had even more gap between shield/trim & fairing than is shown in your pictures. Clearview swapped that shield for the standard height (& charged my card for both + two shipping charges) but failed to include a return shipping label for the first shield. After finding that the fit & finish of the second shield was much better, but the wind protection wasn't, I contacted them again & they finally provided the return shipping label so that I could ship both shields back in one box. The entire process cost me $28 to try their shields. A reasonable cost that I was happy to pay. The shipping times & customer service were at best marginal.

I'm guessing that Clearview is a small company attempting to grow into the market. From some of the reports here on the forum they obviously have some good product. From some reports they also have some issues to address. Even though I got the impression they were worried I was going to cheat them somehow, they eventually lived up to the guarantee on their web site. I hope they solve their problems before these kinds of reports start costing them business.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:58 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,869 Likes on 9,332 Posts

Some good stuff here. I was about to order one for my RG, but now, I'll just sit back and read the mail about Clearview.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:09 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 581 Posts

Don't know about the RG's as I have a SG but as far as Clearview goes I had no problems with the company. I ordered a 9.5" recurve in December, which I would assume would have been a very busy time, and it was at my door in less then 2 weeks. Well packaged and fit perfect. Go figure.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:21 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pastor John
rocknrod, the recurve option is not listed for a Road Glide. However, the windshield does have some mild recurve molded into it (difficult to see except at just the right angle), but not as pronounced as for some of the other bikes.
Its obvious.
From the pics I see no recurve whatsoever.
Mine is very obvious and works as advertised. I couldnt be happier.
I can see however, that you would not see/feel a difference on yours.
Have you called the owner?
He's a stand-up guy from my dealings with him.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:28 AM
bucs012
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dabaldone

I'm 6' and I ordered a medium for my Roadglide. It'sonly an inch taller than stock. I was thinking of a large, but I want to see over it. Only problem isI ordered it on November 10. I haven't gotten an email as to when it will ship. Called them the other day, they said maybe the end of this week. Hope it's worth the wait. Right now anything over 55 MPH and it feels like my head is loose.
I'm 6' and LOVE the high shield from HD on my RG. Perfect on the hiway! no buffeting-nothing.
Just some feedback for ya.

Here is the Tall HD shield on the bike.
http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m...nt=75bere2.jpg

Old 01-16-2008, 08:34 AM
texan321
Road Captain

I have been running a Smoked 14" recurve and have really noticed a difference - my wife really likes it because it has cut down on her helmet buffeting.

I have a lot of air coming from the side of the forks - hits the tank and then up under the helmet. On my RoadKing I fork deflectors that stopped this problem but they will not work on the Ultra with the lowers.
The Clearview shild is the 2nd best accessory I have put on my bike............I would do it again.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:00 AM
Ultrasweet
Road Captain

I wish that Clearview would have at least included black screws instead of the chrome ones pictured. Cosmetically, it's not nearly as nice of an install without the chrome molding and the chrome screws stick out like a sore thumb.
At least you got all the same color screws. I got 3 silver and one black. I hope my Klock Werks shield comes in before the 30 days is up. If it works better then the Clearview is going back. T.