Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom paint is applied now for clear coat (Pics Updated Jan 25th)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008 | 06:33 PM
GasCan
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Custom paint is applied now for clear coat (Pics Updated Jan 25th)

Went to see a friends son today who is a graphic artist and air brush expert here in Calgary. He runs a shop called Bloodshot Design where he'll be providing some custom touches to my tank, side covers and bags over the next few days.They removed the tank emblems and wet sanded thetank while I was there today and I can't wait to see the finished product next week. Pictures to follow.

Updated pics January 20th,2008

Here are the rough drafts of the artwork. We made some prior changes (hence the eraser marks) and a few after the pics but this is close to what we finished with. Now he'll finish the artwork today,create the transfer sheets and will lay down the gold pearl base Monday. Colors will start Tuesday and should be complete for Wednesday (3 stages). From there it's 2 or 3 coats of clear with a few cut and polish sessions to cover the ridges and fill to a smooth finish, then a final cut to make it all show quality.

Rough draft on tank showing placement for the bar and shield logo and flames with 6 d-rings.

Side covers will get 3 d-rings to keep it proportionate to the flames on the tank and bags.

We added some volume to the bags with no less than 9 d-rings but may scale it back some.

I have seen lot's of recent work this painter has done on some local bikes and his work is fantastic. Should have the tins back on the bike in 2 weeks or so as we are still waiting on the motor to come back from GMR and that will go back into the bike first. If it's ready in time for the upcoming world of wheels, i'll enter this in since it will all be fresh. Should make a hot looking bagger when I finish it up.

Cheers...G

Here are the Pics from today. (January 25th, 2008)

When I got there, everything was still masked and he asked if I wanted any changes in the color before he stripped the tape and readied the tins for an application of drop shadowing. Colrs are very deep, Candy Tangerine with Candy Res accents, and gold tips.

He stripped the side cover, washed it with thinners to give it a wet appearance, and we took it out in the sun for a peek!

Next was a look at the tank to see how the bar and shield logo turned out. I was sportin a smile at this point.

Above you can see the artwork as it starts to take shape in living color. Ryan did an amazing job with the flames.

And finally we had another picture opportunity with some more thinner applied to reveal a hint of the finished look that's a couple days away now. He is going to apply some dark drop shadows beneath the flames and around the logo, then it's off to the body shop where the tins will be cleared, wet sanded, cleared again, cut and then polished.

Should look pretty wicked in a couple days from now. When we sat the tank flat and took the lights off the tank, it really darkened well and became much more subtle. At different angles a lot of he colors start to fade and darken due to the candy's. I love it!

more to come when the bikes finished and put back together.

Old 01-14-2008 | 07:30 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: Dropped the tins off today for custom paint...

Flames, gotta have flames

Old 01-14-2008 | 07:37 PM
07blackcherryflhx
Road Captain

OOOO can't wait to see the final result!

Old 01-14-2008 | 08:32 PM
mvinc01
Road Master

Damn dude! New 124" powerplant, new kick *** sound system, and new custom paint to top it all off. Happy-freaking- New Year! Post up some good pics when you are done. Bet you're gonna be one happy sum bitch! Sweet!

Old 01-14-2008 | 08:35 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member

Paint is a huge mod...makes the bike unique.

Old 01-14-2008 | 09:04 PM
Rev00
Tourer

Awesome. Gotta see some pics when its done !!

Mine's been dropped off for about 5 or 6 weeks now. They called today to come approve the paint and artwork before they do the graphics. Slow going. As long as it's a good job I don't care. Should have it all back by the end of the week, I hope. Then all I have left is my front wheel. Hopefully it's not much longer either. Ready for some riding. It's been way too nice out.

I don't know much about paint, but the layup is as follows.
2 coats sealer
3 coats base
3 clear
Graphics
3 more clear
Using PPG. I hear it's good stuff...?

Old 01-14-2008 | 09:51 PM
GasCan
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Sounds like a nice job Rev, post pics when it's done. As for me being a lucky som bitch, yes I am...but should note thatI work very hard and that this is one of the perks.

Dalton...Flames? Yes the theme is flames, however they are subtle in area coverage. Paintwill becompleted with a painted Bar & Shield logo(deep) with 4 d's on the tank, 3 d's on the bags, and 2 d's on the side covers (d's are the rings within the head of the flame). Colors include a gold pearl base and blending the flames from Candy Red's through Candy Tangerine's with some gold tips. There's lot's of underlay/overlay work involved here and should sit well on a Black Cherry Pearl bike. Here's a small sample of this kids work.

I am not going with as much coverage as this because I like things subtle myself and wanted to keep this in moderation. Something sleek, not overly done, but proud. Everyone's taste is different and I wanted this just to set things off a bit. Might make a nice looking BOTMcontender when it's done, and i'll leave the rest of the surprises to be shown when the bike is complete in about 6 weeks.

Old 01-14-2008 | 10:16 PM
mvinc01
Road Master

Wow, that should look awsome when it's finished. Hey Glideman, no offense meant above. I totaly hear ya about hard work, and a very loving wife. I'm right there with ya. You are still lucky in both of those respects as well.

Now, how about a little hint of the other things to come? You know you want to tell. I'll give ya a week before I bet we find out more.

Also, let us know when you post a couple videos of how that new sound system and motor sound.

Old 01-14-2008 | 10:20 PM
Rev00
Tourer

Looks like the guy does awesome work. I'll be pleased if mine come out half that good. I'm sort of worried although I probably shouldn't be.

Old 01-14-2008 | 10:38 PM
GADawgs
Tourer

That paint scheme sucks....I think it would definitely look better on my SG. Tha AZ sun would just gleam off the tank.

Quick Reply: Custom paint is applied now for clear coat (Pics Updated Jan 25th)