Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Navigational Unit

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Mandog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Harley Navigational Unit

]ORIGINAL: Fireman44

The HK is not the best out there It came on my bike so I use it. You do not have to keep the disc in! after you program where you want to go you can take the disk out if you follow thenav. directionsthat it gives you.

The problem is if you deviate from your route you will need to stop and insert the disc. I just keep a cheap copy of the disc in all the time and use my Ipod. I still like the use and ease of my Garmin Quest better but you can't beat the audio of the factory GPS. You can use the aux imput for the quest but you can not listen to music at the same time. With the factory unit the music automatically shuts down while it voice prompts you.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:41 PM
whooda
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why hasn'tHD designed a fairing that collapses the 6 circular analogue gauges into 3 or 2 digital ones, which would leave plenty of room for a 7 inch GPS/Touch screen Radio like the Pioneer Azic Z1......best GPS/SATTELITE Radio/DVD with Hard Drive that I've seen in a car. I 'm sure one could be made to fit in a fairing if there was more room. Even if there were fairings with a 7 inch recess where you could mount a portable system above the standard radio, it would be better than mounting something on the handlebars. At least you would have a choice when you selecting a fairing.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:49 PM
old95
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

with 20 year old eyes it's OK, but @ 62 will be looking soon for larger screen.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:59 PM
cterrysgd
Intermediate

Anyone running the Garmin Numo 550 with XM radio subscription to their aux port on the HD radio and listening to XM that way? Kill NAV and XM birds all with one stone?

Old 01-15-2008, 03:11 PM
cirhere2
Road Captain

I started watching the GPS too much and not the cages around me so I got rid of the unit and now use a map at the gas station

Old 01-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

ORIGINAL: cterrysgd

Anyone running the Garmin Numo 550 with XM radio subscription to their aux port on the HD radio and listening to XM that way? Kill NAV and XM birds all with one stone?
Yes, I am and love it. I've had several Garmin GPS units in the past and by far the Zumo 550 is one of the better units. I have the XM radio, traffic & weather subscription, XM radio is 12.95 and for 3.00 more you can get weather and traffic. Granted the weather is not Nexrad, but it's a nice feature for 3.00.

Right now I have the Zumo mounted on the left handlebar with a RAM mount, but I'm going to move it to the center of the fairing using 1" RAM ball....this will keep it just under the windshield and in my line of sight, easy reach also.

As for the XM, I plug the aux cable into both and can hear it though the speakers or headset, nice feature too.

Also the Zumo 550 comes with both the motorcycle mount and the car mount, so switching to car and bike is no issue, I also use a FM transmitter for the cars to hear XM and voice prompts over the vehicles speakers ( the one on the unit itself is a little cheesy for radio).

One thing I did in the hardwired part, I have two bikes and use the GPS on both, I didn't want to spend another 80.00 on a separate MC mount for the unit, so I cut the Garmin hard wire about 10 inches from the cradle, installed a waterproof connector ( similar to the battery tender type plug) between the cut. This allows me to install a hard wire on each bike with the same type connector and just undo the complete cradle, xm antenna buy un-connecting the waterproof plug. One end of the plug remains on each bike, hidden of course, and the matching plug on the unit itself. easy to move from bike to bike without needing a extra Garmin MC mount. Also I can remove the entire cradle, xm antenna and all the mounts as one unit, a plusfor security when traveling or going inside a service/restaurant/rest area for extended time. Piece of mind.

I'll post some pictures when I finish the project, fairing mounting...

Old 01-16-2008, 09:57 PM
cterrysgd
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: Casper

ORIGINAL: cterrysgd

Yes, I am and love it. I've had several Garmin GPS units in the past and by far the Zumo 550 is one of the better units. I have the XM radio, traffic & weather subscription, XM radio is 12.95 and for 3.00 more you can get weather and traffic. Granted the weather is not Nexrad, but it's a nice feature for 3.00.

Right now I have the Zumo mounted on the left handlebar with a RAM mount, but I'm going to move it to the center of the fairing using 1" RAM ball....this will keep it just under the windshield and in my line of sight, easy reach also.

As for the XM, I plug the aux cable into both and can hear it though the speakers or headset, nice feature too.

Also the Zumo 550 comes with both the motorcycle mount and the car mount, so switching to car and bike is no issue, I also use a FM transmitter for the cars to hear XM and voice prompts over the vehicles speakers ( the one on the unit itself is a little cheesy for radio).

One thing I did in the hardwired part, I have two bikes and use the GPS on both, I didn't want to spend another 80.00 on a separate MC mount for the unit, so I cut the Garmin hard wire about 10 inches from the cradle, installed a waterproof connector ( similar to the battery tender type plug) between the cut. This allows me to install a hard wire on each bike with the same type connector and just undo the complete cradle, xm antenna buy un-connecting the waterproof plug. One end of the plug remains on each bike, hidden of course, and the matching plug on the unit itself. easy to move from bike to bike without needing a extra Garmin MC mount. Also I can remove the entire cradle, xm antenna and all the mounts as one unit, a plusfor security when traveling or going inside a service/restaurant/rest area for extended time. Piece of mind.

I'll post some pictures when I finish the project, fairing mounting...
I'd like to see those pics when you have a chance! Thanks!

Old 01-17-2008, 04:51 PM
wah45
Advanced

I have the HD navigation system on my Ultra and granted it's expensive, but tell me one thing that isn't from HD! Once you program your destination you remove the disc and go back to your favorite Cd's I never look at the small screen because it's loud and clear over your speakers turn by turn with plenty of warning. When I get tired of my CD's I plug an Ipod nano into the outlet on the radioand place it into my windshield pouch. People never know you have a gps built in. I like it but wish it didn't cost so much.Cleaner look.Just my opinion.