Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Navigational Unit

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts
Default RE: Harley Navigational Unit

The Harley GPS is just a Garmin quest with HD clothing...small screen and only 115 megs of memory, you'll have to load maps for the area your traveling in, crummy.....at best.

The Garmin Zumo 550 is the best for MC use, but a Garmin 2720 is a fine unit for mc use also....

Old 01-14-2008, 06:56 PM
sldavis
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't plan on getting one, just wondered what the deal was with the stock unit and why no one uses it. I use one in the woods sometimes, but only with a map and compass as backup.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:07 PM
dstockton
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are 3 Harley GPS units, the module that works with the HK radio. It is line by line only and mucho expensive at $1,000. The HD Road Tech GPS is a small removable unit just like the Garmin Quest with 115 mb of memory, enough to hold a region but not the entire US. The HD Conquest is the same as the Quest 2, with 2 gb of memory and comes preloaded with the entire US maps with memory to spare. I have that one because I liked thefairing mount. I also use it on another bike and in the car. The screen is rather small compared toothers, but this is also a shirt pocket walk around GPS with about 20 hours of battery life off the bike or car. I can see everything I need to see on the screen because of where the HD mount places it right in your line of site just to the right.You don't have to take your eyes off the road to read it, something that's not always true with the handlebar mounts.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:31 PM
Mandog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought an Ultra with the radio GPS. Prior to this I have been using a Garmin Quest on my Wideglide. The thing that sucks about the factory Gps is you do have to keep disc in at all times. I finally figured out how to make a copy of the disc so it's no big deal. It is line by line with turn directions only but the nice thing about is the voice prompts comethrough the speakers loud and clear. Its a much cleaner look then having stuff mounted all over the handle bars.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:54 PM
prc1333
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The HD built in GPS works fine. I like that it talks through the headset, so once you get used to it it does a pretty good job. The others are right though, the HD unit does have much to be improved. It doesn't always take you to the location, exactly. Sometimes within 1/2 block. It doesn't tell you what side of the street the location is on.
I think it is better for long trips. Where the other units are great for around town. If you use XM radio or an IPOD the CD player use isn't missed, in my humble opinion.
[/align]

Old 01-14-2008, 09:10 PM
skykingFLHTCU
Tourer

I started my research on which way to go and after hearing the price of HD it made the decision to buy a Garmin real easy.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:51 PM
CigarCritic
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: dstockton

Quest 2, with 2 gb of memory and comes preloaded with the entire US maps with memory to spare. I have that one because I liked thefairing mount. I also use it on another bike and in the car. The screen is rather small compared toothers, but this is also a shirt pocket walk around GPS with about 20 hours of battery life off the bike or car. I can see everything I need to see on the screen because of where the HD mount places it right in your line of site just to the right.You don't have to take your eyes off the road to read it, something that's not always true with the handlebar mounts.
Thanks for the post! I have been leaning towards the HD Quest 2 as there is a guy that has sold a boat load of these on Ebay for $185 but without the CD and cables. All I want is distance before turn and an arrow, anymore on a motorcycle is fluff, imo.
[/align]

Old 01-14-2008, 10:27 PM
wjpauly
Advanced

I agree with dstockton. Go with one of the HD Garmin units. I've got the HD Quest - short on memory butI have used it from Arizona to New York to North Carolina with some planning to keep the maps loaded. Wife likes the mount location cuz she can see where we're going from the back seat. We both like the usability and getting it plugged into the sound system on the UC as it talks us to the next destination.At cruise speeds I can safely find the nearest dealer and plug it into the heading with just a few keystrokes.

Have had trouble with the mount - dealer replaced under warranty and with the unit itself which Garmin replaced even though I was outside the 1-yrwarranty time period.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:03 AM
Fireman44
Tourer

The HK is not the best out there It came on my bike so I use it. You do not have to keep the disc in! after you program where you want to go you can take the disk out if you follow thenav. directionsthat it gives you.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:12 AM
bobo06
Intermediate

Just curious if anyone has mounted their GPS, or if there is a way to mount it so the passenger can run it. Would give my wife something to do on long trips besides read her book. Also would let the driver concentrate on more important things.

Bobo

Quick Reply: Harley Navigational Unit