Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS, a must have on RK ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 11:52 AM
fredouil
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS, a must have on RK ??

Hi guys,

i am in Australia and today i was going to buy a new RK08 with ABS option when the salesman told me that ABS is not available on international models (how low HD can be with our security :-( ) but will probably be available on 09.

question :

is ABS essential ? and thus have to wait until October to pick up my bike ? ( the waiting list is 4 months with bikes 50% more expensive than yours)

thanks

Old 01-14-2008, 12:04 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: ABS, a must have on RK ??

I believe air bags and seat belts will be available in 09 as well

seriously...I don't think it's really needed...just another bell and whistle IMHO

Old 01-14-2008, 12:04 PM
eglidetrike1
Road Master

I'm not a fan of ABS even in cars, so I don't see the need for them.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:07 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

...judging by the 105 years we all rode without ABS...I'd say it probably is not a "Must-Have"....[8D]

Old 01-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Bluerose

Nope not essential...just a nice safety feature to have...All depends on how you feel about the need for them.

All I can say is be sure you buy the bike with the features you want. You do not want to be second guessing yourself in a year. It get very expensive when you do.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me, it's an essential safety feature that should be on every bike. There's not one good reason NOT to have ABS on a motorcycle (other than the added cost, of course). Boils down to what value you put on your life and those whom you haul. Check out Harley's video - it's very convincing, imho. ABS has saved my butt twice with left turners (previously owned 2000 BMW R1100RT). Click HERE for the video.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Aslan
Road Master

ORIGINAL: jmacdonald5

...judging by the 105 years we all rode without ABS...I'd say it probably is not a "Must-Have"....[8D]
I agree with the above.
I am surprised at how many people are willing to sell or trade their bikes and take a bigfinancial loss just to get an 08 with ABS.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Mr_Bill
Tourer

I think ABS is a great option. I don't know if I would want to wait until October for a bike. Riding season for nothern United Staes some time off right now. Your riding season may be right now.So if you can get a bike now and ride that's one way to look at the situation. Your riding season down the road, October, and you get a 09 with ABS is another. One more thing to throw in the pot, what else will Harley add to the 09's that the 08's don't have? Every year a little something to get you into the Dealer and part with some Washingtons!
Good Luck,
Mr_Bill

Old 01-14-2008, 01:10 PM
iann8ik
Tourer

I've panic-stopped on my 08 RKC and ABS absolutely works as advertized. Glad i have it!

Old 01-14-2008, 02:21 PM
hogbag07
Road Captain

Try a new sales person ABS does come out on Australian 2008 touringmodels. Try ringing around there will be one sitting on the floor somewhere Downunder try frasers ask for Gregon ph0297643133 he tell you the truth about the ABS on the 2008 tourers I would get it if it saves you once its worth it

Quick Reply: ABS, a must have on RK ??