Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS, a must have on RK ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 05:21 PM
peppi
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: ABS, a must have on RK ??

ORIGINAL: Trock

ORIGINAL: peppi

ORIGINAL: carpetride

I believe air bags and seat belts will be available in 09 as well

seriously...I don't think it's really needed...just another bell and whistle IMHO
I agree with this post. Only a stealer can service the abs system. It takes longer to stop with it than the standard system in distance .
You may agree but I say prove it! Show me the facts on stopping distance. Are you talking about ideal conditions? Is it always Ideal conditions? What can I not do to my brakes other than bleeding them? Do you need to bleed brakes often?
OK, I'll do your homework for you Trock

The real caution is you do not have to engage an ABS type stop (as in High-Effort braking) to have the system produce an unfavorable reaction. It can and DOES happen under normal braking. What you will sense, is under braking when the rear tire breaks traction, the front brake WILL release and the bike will seem to surge forward and then immediately reapply the front brake. This is very easy to produce .

Here's a for instance. You are braking at 20 mph on choppy pavement where each edge in the concrete is like a small 1" drop. The rear tire breaks traction after the front tire has dropped the 1" and is still braking. The ABS system engages, and even if for a 1/4 second you have NO brake action, and the bike will have gone 7 to 8 feet , or about a bit more than a bike length. Just be aware this DOES happen and you really should practice it to be familiar with it.

If this were to happen at 30 mph, in 1/4 second the bike could go 22 feet without braking action until the brakes re-engage. All the more reason not to follow too close behind other traffic if you don't care to be part of the car ahead of you!

I'll opt for no ABS thank you!

Old 01-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Aslan
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank You Peppi.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:33 PM
peppi
Road Captain

Trock

Also take a look at the numbers here on this page if you still aren't a believer and let me know what you tnink.
Also notice who is responsible for this info. (MSF)
The results are shown with wet and dry situations but in the wet situation the ABS will stop shorter, however in the dry situations, it's a different story.

http://www.msf-usa.org/imsc/proceedi...ngDistance.pdf

As far as the bleeding situation you stated, you figure that one out for yourself.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:36 PM
roadglidedude
Advanced

This might be a stupid ?
Could you put this on an 07?

Old 01-14-2008, 05:40 PM
JGroves
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Streetrunner

ORIGINAL: Retired_Ted

To me, it's an essential safety feature that should be on every bike. There's not one good reason NOT to have ABS on a motorcycle (other than the added cost, of course). Boils down to what value you put on your life and those whom you haul. Check out Harley's video - it's very convincing, imho. ABS has saved my butt twice with left turners (previously owned 2000 BMW R1100RT). Click HERE for the video.
I totally agree. I was involved in a major accident with a left turner that I believe may have been avoided with ABS.
+1

Old 01-14-2008, 05:45 PM
MidLifeCrisis
Tourer

Well I hope the abs brakes are better in bikes than in cages. I was in my truck andhad a moron do a u turn coming from the other direction into mine right in front of me, put on my brakes and the dam abs kicked in and wouldn't let me stop, came pretty close to hitting him. Nothing like the feeling of feet on brake and you just keep going anyways! Was not going all that fast maybe 25-30. I understand the concept but I think its only good if you have a little more distance for stopping (in which you probably don't need them anyways) but when someone pulls out right in front of you I think they suck, you are better off useing your skills to stop. at least you will have brakes to stop with(with out the abs). now that is just my 2 cents worth (or maybe 4 cents)

Old 01-14-2008, 05:50 PM
peppi
Road Captain

As I was trying to say the ABS is a more controlled stop in bad stopping situations and the main advantage is control or steering while you are stopping. The system also has some inherent disadvantages as noted above in post #21 but the disagreeement goes on and on just like the oil discussions.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:06 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Bottom line...if you talk to those with ABS, most will say they wouldn't ride without it. Others who do not have ABS all swear they are better off for not having it. Still for most people ABS is a better solution because the system performs braking procedures at a speed that would be impossible to duplicate. Personally I own both ABS and Non-ABS bikes and I prefer ABS. Many police departments have been using ABS on their bikes for many years, so it's not exactly new to motorcycles.

Having said that, you could get along just fine without ABS.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:17 PM
BillinNY
Tourer

ORIGINAL: peppi

Trock

Also take a look at the numbers here on this page if you still aren't a believer and let me know what you tnink.
Also notice who is responsible for this info. (MSF)
The results are shown with wet and dry situations but in the wet situation the ABS will stop shorter, however in the dry situations, it's a different story.

http://www.msf-usa.org/imsc/proceedi...ngDistance.pdf

As far as the bleeding situation you stated, you figure that one out for yourself.

Thanks for the link Peppi. I guess it goes to show that two people can draw different conclusions from the same data. While there were some instances where the non-abs had a shorter stopping distance, overall odds seem to be in favor of abs for improved braking performance.
CONCLUSIONS
In general, the test results
demonstrated an improvement in braking
performance with the use of ABS, whether
braking on a dry or wet surface even compared
with the best stops obtained without ABS.
Without ABS, the rider required
numerous attempts to approach the maximum
deceleration performance of the motorcycle.
With the use of ABS, however, the rider was
able to quickly obtain consistent maximum
deceleration results, whether the vehicle was
loaded or lightly loaded.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:34 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: MidLifeCrisis

Well I hope the abs brakes are better in bikes than in cages. I was in my truck andhad a moron do a u turn coming from the other direction into mine right in front of me, put on my brakes and the dam abs kicked in and wouldn't let me stop, came pretty close to hitting him. Nothing like the feeling of feet on brake and you just keep going anyways! Was not going all that fast maybe 25-30. I understand the concept but I think its only good if you have a little more distance for stopping (in which you probably don't need them anyways) but when someone pulls out right in front of you I think they suck, you are better off useing your skills to stop. at least you will have brakes to stop with(with out the abs). now that is just my 2 cents worth (or maybe 4 cents)

True, ABShas an average stopping distance of 5 - 6 feet farther thennon-ABS brakes in perfect dry condiions on hard surfaces. The word perfectshould be repeated.In a wet or oily situation they are shown to repeatedly stop the bike up to 30 feet faster then non-ABS bikes. If your a fair weather rider you could be right.

In general if you hit the brakes hard enough to activate the ABS then you were at a potental point of locking one or more of your wheels. At less then 20 MPH I locked a back on a hard dry surface in a panic stop and slidabout 10 feet. During that slide my rear tire slide to the left...this left-hand slide put me in the position of potentially highsiding if I did not have the experience and reaction of holding the rear brake. I can atest to the fact while I had the experience to come to a full stop without killing myself that at no point did I have control over anything in that slide but holding my front tire straight. This is not a dirt bike.....slinging an 800 lb bike sideways on pavement is not sport.

If you would have had control and you were stopping within the limit of not locking your brakes theABS would not have triggered. I don't believe I have set mine off yet.

Like I have said in other threads at no point do the words slide or locked belong in a sentance with control. If you use your skills you will be fine with or without. By the way, I have not set mine of yet (that I know of at least).

Again they are not "essential" but they are a nice safety feature. It's really the choice of the rider. My last bikes didn't have ABS and I had no problem with that.

Quick Reply: ABS, a must have on RK ??