Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS, a must have on RK ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 02:39 PM
peppi
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: ABS, a must have on RK ??

ORIGINAL: carpetride

I believe air bags and seat belts will be available in 09 as well

seriously...I don't think it's really needed...just another bell and whistle IMHO
I agree with this post. Only a stealer can service the abs system. It takes longer to stop with it than the standard system in distance .

Old 01-14-2008, 02:40 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If it rains, ever, where you live, and you slam on the brakes for some reason.... Thank ABS. I raced motocross for years and whiped out many many times, but skidding on a ~750lb bike will give pucker-factor a whole new meaning, I don't care who you are.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:28 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: peppi

ORIGINAL: carpetride

I believe air bags and seat belts will be available in 09 as well

seriously...I don't think it's really needed...just another bell and whistle IMHO
I agree with this post. Only a stealer can service the abs system. It takes longer to stop with it than the standard system in distance .
You may agree but I say prove it! Show me the facts on stopping distance. Are you talking about ideal conditions? Is it always Ideal conditions? What can I not do to my brakes other than bleeding them? Do you need to bleed brakes often?

Old 01-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Aslan
Road Master

Buy or don't buy ABS.
It is a matter of choice
let's not get our knickers in a twist over it.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:21 PM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1. A must have? No, we've all gotten along without them this long.
2. A worthwhile enhancement?Hell yes. I have to test ride bikes on a daily (well 5 days a week anyways) basis and there is definitely a difference between the ABS and non-ABS when it comes to stopping performance.
3. Am I trading in my 04 RK just to get ABS? No.
4. If I were buying an 08 would I get one with ABS? Yes well worth the extra cash if you are buying an 08 anyways.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

ORIGINAL: Retired_Ted

To me, it's an essential safety feature that should be on every bike. There's not one good reason NOT to have ABS on a motorcycle (other than the added cost, of course). Boils down to what value you put on your life and those whom you haul. Check out Harley's video - it's very convincing, imho. ABS has saved my butt twice with left turners (previously owned 2000 BMW R1100RT). Click HERE for the video.
I totally agree. I was involved in a major accident with a left turner that I believe may have been avoided with ABS.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:33 PM
Ultra61
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

ORIGINAL: fredouil

Hi guys,

i am in Australia and today i was going to buy a new RK08 with ABS option when the salesman told me that ABS is not available on international models (how low HD can be with our security :-( ) but will probably be available on 09.

question :

is ABS essential ? and thus have to wait until October to pick up my bike ? ( the waiting list is 4 months with bikes 50% more expensive than yours)

thanks

Key word probably...I would not wait for a Harley on that alone...

Old 01-14-2008, 04:35 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

....it's funny with, ABS discussions it always becomes about "whether they are good or not", when the original question is "do I have to have them".....on balance they are a plus,(especially for inexperienced riders), but DEFINATELY not something you have to have....

Old 01-14-2008, 04:42 PM
DLGriff
4th Gear

I bought a 2008 Ultra without the ABS because it had everything else that I wanted. I personally did not consider the lack of ABS to be a deal-breaker, although I would have been just as happy if the bike had had it. I find the Brembo's to be excellent brakes and I feel I have significantly better braking and control then I had with my 2000 EC Classic. UnlessABS is something that you personally are anxious to have, I wouldn't worry.

Darrell Griffin
San Diego, CA

Old 01-14-2008, 04:51 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: jmacdonald5

....it's funny with, ABS discussions it always becomes about "whether they are good or not", when the original question is "do I have to have them".....on balance they are a plus,(especially for inexperienced riders), but DEFINATELY not something you have to have....
True but if I thought they were not good I would say you do not need them. I think there good, very good and I have them so I can speak about them from experience. I have friends that rode with no front brakes on there bikes so would you say you DEFINATELY need front brakes? No you don't but I find them helpful I just think it's funny when people call abs " bells and whistles"

Quick Reply: ABS, a must have on RK ??