Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hawg-Wired or Biketronics install kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 07:30 PM
Harleee
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hawg-Wired or Biketronics install kit?

Hello All! Getting ready to install the Sony stereo in my 02' FLHT. I have my stereo ordered ,and I'm trying to determine on which adapter kit to use where I can use my stock switch controls for volume,etc. I know most like Biketronics kit,but it dont look like it comes with anything except the wiring harness. The Hawg-Wired kit( I guess the deluxe one,)comes with the adapter and mounting kit and flip up lid for about 240.00. Any advice on which way to go on this? And yes,I already know,HOGTUNE Speakers,LOL Thanks,Eric

Old 01-11-2006, 09:05 PM
PEZ
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hawg-Wired or Biketronics install kit?

Hey Harlee

I have reason to believe that the Hawg wired is a "reverse engineered" version of the Biketronics kit. I can assure you that Mike and Donna at Biketronics are good people who ride, and will always do the right thing in case of any issue. Mike at BT was an engineer at HP for way toooooo long and knows his stuff, which allowed him to create this part, and make it reliable. If you ever had an issue, IMHO he is the one who could help you best, and fast

PEZ

Old 01-13-2007, 12:35 AM
Mark98012
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been thinking of getting the Biketronics also EXCEPT I won't be using any handlebar controls. I'm converting my RKC to a Road glide. Is the kit really necessary or can I just get a Sony radio with auto volume control. The avc is really what I want, does the module make the volume MORE SENSITIVE to road noise or is it just to interface to hand controls? Any input is appreciated.

Mark

Old 01-13-2007, 02:59 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Harlee: I just bought the Biketronics stuff. The Retro Radio 1000 is what you want. It comes with both the electronics for your handlebar control of the Sony (other?) headunit AND the mounting kit. You can by the electronics seperately for $150 or the mounting kit seperately for $50; or both for $200.

I know the Biketronics product comes with Automatic Volume Control; don't know if the Hawg-wired comes with that or not. Also, the AVC in the Biketronics unit allows 20 AVC settings; the Harley Harmon Kardon Advanced Audio system provides 4.

And as has been already said, Mike at Biketronics is a good guy and very helpful.

Old 01-13-2007, 03:05 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Mark: You need the interface unit because the AVC is wired to the speed signal of the bike.Check your wiring diagram for a white/green wire (probably since the wiring colors vary little from touring bike to touring bike and from year to year); that's the one that carries the speed signal. It is also used for the cruise control unit andtheECM.Without that connection, there is no way for the Sony unit to know when it should raise or lowervolume since the AVC doesn't work off of noise or loudness like amicrophone or listening device.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:13 PM
Mark98012
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Harleypingman, thanks for the info. Exactly what I was looking for.

Mark

Old 01-13-2007, 01:25 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,694 Likes on 2,121 Posts

I just finished my Biketronics upgade this week.They do offer a complete package. I chose to buy the module. No problems.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1147769/tm.htm