Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 06:23 PM
old.gezr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race Tuner

I have a friend that installed a TMax on his 07 Road King. He has offered me his ECM and Race Tuner (SERT) if I can make it work on my 07 SG. If I install his ECM and use his race tuner will it work on my SG. I know its locked to the original VIN. But, if I use his ECM how will thetheECMknow it'snot the same bike. If I need it dyno'ed or tuned I will use his VIN while having it done. Can anyone help with question? Thanks.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:40 PM
Superglide 04
Tourer
Default RE: Race Tuner

I bought ECM and SERT from a fellow board member, I switched ECM's and married new ECM to my bike and now its at the stealership being tuned. This is a 06 not sure of the difference 06 and 07.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:03 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm no genius, but HD tells me once it is programmed into a bike it's a done deal. Supposedly the computer knows and that's the genius of HD. Don't know if this helps or not... The whole thing scares the pants off me!

Old 01-13-2008, 07:19 PM
GreyGhost
Cruiser

They do that so they can sell more of them. I had a BMW car that I bought a "Tuner" for and once used it would only work on that car.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:38 PM
old.gezr
Road Captain

How the he!! can the ECM and race tuner from one bike, then installed on another know it is not on the original bike? Just does'nt make sense. Has anyone done this or am I going to be the first? Would like to know before I do though. Thanks.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:39 PM
vettedog72
Tourer

I don't know for sure but I am in agreement that the ecm is the "thing" the SERT marries to and since you still have them paired (all be it on another bike) it is still married.

Let us know how it turns out.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:48 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

old:

IMO, your friends ECM and SERT should work fine on your SG. Same year, same touring family! The ECM will probably require a few miles of variable rpm/speed riding to relearn thedata coming fromyour SG; but I would bet those two components will work just fine. IIRC, all late model touring bikes are now using the same generic, replacementECM that gets an initial map uploaded from the Digital Technician appropriate for the model bike it's being installed on.

Make sure you find out if your friend had a modified SERT map in his RK. If his was simply a Stage 1 with equipment similar to your SG, you should be fine. Otherwise, upload a map to your SG that's applicable to what mods you have done.

The ECM/SERT doesn't have a clue as to what bike/vin its installed on.

Let us know what mods, if any, you have done to your SG; and good luck!

Old 01-14-2008, 06:19 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 581 Posts

Do a search and I think you'll find that it will work but the ECM will need to be married to the bike. No Idea how it knows it's been moved but I have read a couple of threads that say it will start up and run initially and shut down within a couple of minutes. The dealer has to do something with the digital technician but the swap will work fine after that.
Good luck.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:23 PM
old.gezr
Road Captain

Any more opinions? Has'nt anyone tried this? Would like to know before I do the swap. Thanks.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:34 AM
pop1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I was told at my dealer that once the SERT was used it couldn't be used on any other bike. Otherwise why wouldn't the dealer just use the same SERT to tune everyone's bike?

Quick Reply: Race Tuner