Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide-need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008 | 05:30 PM
HOGWYLDPR
|
Tourer
Default Road Glide-need advice

I am seriously looking at getting a Road Glide and need some advice from RG owners. I am 5'7" on a good day and feel a little short on my feet when I sit on this bike. I'm am hoping someone can advise me on what I can do to bring me down a little more flat footed, lowering kit, shocks, seat, etc. I really like this bike and would like to make this work. Any advice from RG owners would be really appreciated as I rely heavily on this opinions on this forum. I currently ride a Deluxe which I plan to keep but this bike is awesome.

Old 01-13-2008 | 05:48 PM
Thundercloud
Road Master
Default RE: Road Glide-need advice

Let me start with saying that your Deluxe looks awesome with the Apes!!!!

When I bought my RG I felt a little short legged myself and had it lowered front and rear and was good to go.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4934/0C17081C94FC4826986A915ED1B67B3B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-13-2008 | 05:52 PM
VTwinJaxFL
Road Captain

I'm 5' 7.5" and ride a Road Glide with no issues, but you can lower the front and rear, HD makes the front end lowering kit and maybe the rearend, however the rearend is already lower than the EGlide, but if I were to do it, I would go ahead and buy the Progressive air shocks for the backend, which I hear are great for ride height and ride comfort/rideability. You can also get the better Progressive front end springs for 1 inch lower. Basically for around $600 you can lower it an inch. Other option is look for a seat that sets you down an inch, however I have found the 07 seat to be pretty comfortable for longer rides.

Old 01-13-2008 | 06:02 PM
gcrebel
Novice

I'm 5'8" and ride a RG also. Two real problems for me as I think you will discover: 1. seat height- I put on a HD Reach Seat, looks good on bike and put my feet more firmly on the ground 2. Handlebars- RG bars seem to be geared for longer armed riders, I put on Reduced Reach Road King bars and this pulled the bars back toward me. I lost a bit of slow speed turn leverage but overall it is sooo much more comfortable. I could have used Heritage bars and achieved basically the same effect. In any case, I now have a bike I am very comfortable on and hugs the road like a dream without messing with the factory suspension set up. Just some food for thought. Hope this helps.

[IMG]local://upfiles/49415/5095F4C2794347AA9DE8F59360A456CC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-13-2008 | 06:08 PM
mhud
Road Captain

You might want to call Allen at Mean City cycles. He may be able to lower your stock seat an inch or two. He is a sponsor here.

Old 01-13-2008 | 06:14 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member

Lower the front with PROGRESSIVE LOWERING SPRINGS and lower the read with PROGRESSIVE 440 12"
Then you can send your seat out to Mean City Cycles and have them re-work it

Old 01-13-2008 | 06:33 PM
Aslan
Road Master

I had a friend that was 5' 7". He always wore Chipawa boots. They gave him that extra inch plus that he needed without changing the bike.
No joke.

Old 01-13-2008 | 06:49 PM
ROLLNTIGER
Outstanding HDF Member

Have HD lowered shocks and the HD lowered springs. I also use the lowering links with the shocks with no problem. you can see how low i am in the pic.

Old 01-13-2008 | 07:00 PM
HOGWYLDPR
|
Tourer

hanks all for the responses. I head to the dealer tomorrow.

Old 01-13-2008 | 07:35 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

I am 5' 8" and can flat foot it easier on my RG that I could on my Street Glide which sat an inch lower than the RG. The seat is more narrow at the nose which allows for better footing. Don't know if this applies with the 08 models or not. Go sit on one before you worry about making changes that might not be needed.

Quick Reply: Road Glide-need advice